1 year later...

This is a general discussion. If your topic doesn't fit anywhere else, put it here.
Notatourist
In our Memory
In our Memory

Re: 1 year later...

Post by Notatourist » Sun Jul 04, 2010 5:02 pm

You know it's hard to believe it's been a year.

One rail, one family

I'm not a tourist cause I work there...

February
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by February » Sun Jul 04, 2010 7:05 pm

Forgive me- there's just something i have got to add, as i still struggle to fathom all of this even though I know I can't because it is and always will be unfathomable.

I want to say to anyone who is reading this who may be lurking- whether CM or guest- is that i know- I remember- what most cm's (and sgt regulars too) know already but what many guests still don't and so i can't say it often enough or loud enough- so i'm going to try to say it again now, when it's most fitting.

People must realize just how entirely heroic Austin's actions were that night.

He did everything he could for his guests. Everything. And he got them back safe.

He is and always will be a hero- and i wish i could shout that from the rooftops.

Astounding, too, was the courage, grace, and strength I saw in his Monorail family in the days after. So many guests were entirely unaware of what had happened- and the cast carried on with the show.

They carried on for their guests during that time- one of which was me- and they carried on for Austin.

All of you, you would have made Walt- and most of all Austin, so proud of you.

I'm just one average person on the planet, but you certainly made me proud.

This is something I wrote last night.

--------------

We gathered down on Market Street in twilight.

As raindrops fell the endless curtain of greyest, mourning clouds was rent clear through, forced apart to unveil a perfect, vibrant bow.

The colors remained until the whole of the sky dimmed and darkened into night.

We lit candles, wore purple ribbons, and we remembered you.

A year later your light still exists in this world, Austin. It still shines, so bright.

It always will.

I will always remember.

---------------

One rail, One family.

all my love,
bru

Two things stand like stone:
Kindness in another’s trouble.
Courage in your own.
~Adam Lindsay Gordon

"...and only fireworks will light the sky at night
for all the world can see." ~Keane

glendalais
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by glendalais » Sun Jul 04, 2010 7:16 pm

Notatourist wrote:You know it's hard to believe it's been a year.

One rail, one family
I know, it still seems so recent and fresh in the memory :( .

One Rail. One Family.

Saint March
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by Saint March » Sun Jul 04, 2010 7:47 pm

Hi Doc,

Just wanted you to know, and all the CMs struggling along with you, that your guests have not forgotten. Bru said it best, Austin was a hero and should be remembered that way. He was so much more than just someone who's life was cut tragically short, he was someone who made the ultimate sacrifice for those under his care.

I hope all of you that knew Austin personally will take some time in the next few days to think of something, anything, about him that made you smile.

I admire the courage you all have shown to keep serving your guests in the last year. I know it has NOT been easy.

One Rail. One Family.

~Saint

[font="Century Gothic"]Welcome aboard our highway in the sky. Our next stop is the Magic Kingdom.[/font]
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

delsdad
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here
Park: Canadas Top
Department: Concert Hall!
Position: Making Lights Move!

Post by delsdad » Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:32 pm

The words of Bru, Saint March and others have expressed far better than I could hope to, what I would like to convey to all the CMs that this tragic event so profoundly affected.

Just know that they said it far more eloquently than I might ever hope to.

One Rail. One Family.

BRWombat
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Department: Offsite Harmony
Position: Back Row Baritone

Post by BRWombat » Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:45 am

You've been in my thoughts all year, and especially this weekend. Hugs, prayers, and pixie dust.

One rail, one family.

"This would be a great place if we could only get rid of all these people." - Walt Disney

Image Image
VocalMajority
Twitter

Purpura
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by Purpura » Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:25 am

It is sad but life does go on... with memories and love still hidden away/shown to those that have lost their friend...

One rail one Family...((HUGS))

Partial Guest List for Minnie and Friends Character Breakfast Disneyland Plaza Inn :minnie: :eeyore: :hook: :pooh: :tigger: :fairymom:

I am at Rancho Del Zocalo. OLE~!

Go Wombat and VM!

Notatourist will never be forgotten...

Big Wallaby
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by Big Wallaby » Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:00 pm

I am sorry that I haven't visited this thread yet. So much going on in life right now...

The Fourth of July came this year, and my wife and I wanted to see fireworks. I didn't care to lay eyes on any Monorails. That said...

We decided to go to the Magic Kingdom anyway. I put on a purple shirt, and rode aboard Monorail Green to the Magic Kingdom. I exchanged hugs and handshakes with the Monorail Pilots I saw who I knew from the past year.

We went to the Magic Kingdom, we watched the fireworks from between Casey's Corner and the Ice Cream Shop. Then, we took a walk down Main Street, the longest walk I ever have or ever will while on Disney Property.

I walked out from under the Train Station just as Teal went by. It was now mere hours until the passing of that time, a time I dreaded.

We rode the ferry over to TTC. Once there, I went to the place in the mall, a place that for a year I had dreaded passing.

It was now time to let go. Time to let go of much of the pain I had experienced due to guest interaction and and the experiences of being a Monorail Pilot on that awful, awful day. For me it always will be the Fourth. Being as patriotic as I claim and want to be, I cannot let such a wonderful day be tainted by such pain... even that of losing a friend and colleague.

I stood there awhile, in that place where it happened. I stayed until I was ready to say goodbye to that companion for the past year. I don't really know how long it was.

July 5th passed, and I have come to realize the things that I must do to move on. There are certain things of which I cannot let go, not yet, and maybe not ever. But those are my demons to deal with, so long as...

Anyway...

My opinions are mine and mine only. If my opinions are the opinion of others who happen to share whatever my crazy views may be, then fine, but it's not because I represent them in having my opinions. Got it?

BRWombat
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Department: Offsite Harmony
Position: Back Row Baritone

Post by BRWombat » Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:09 pm

I can't imagine how hard that was, BW... and it must have been difficult to share with us, too, but thank you for doing so. :grouphug:

"This would be a great place if we could only get rid of all these people." - Walt Disney

Image Image
VocalMajority
Twitter

DragonFox98
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by DragonFox98 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:28 am

BW, I cannot imagine what you must have been going through. All I can say is my thoughts and prayers are with you (often) as well as all the others on the monorails. I am glad your wife was by your side for support and hope that each day gets a little better.

One rail. One family.