LA Weekly article

News about Theme Parks and their parent companies.
theEpiphany
Wide-eyed Newcomer
Wide-eyed Newcomer

hahaha

Post by theEpiphany » Thu Nov 13, 2003 9:54 am

Doug was argueing with a few CMs in Disneyana over the trivia question they had posted some weeks back. It was all based around a technicality. Him and I started going at it over and over again until I just said...Later.

It's amazing ohw some people will just argue for the sake of not admitting that A...There's more than 1 answer. B. they're wrong.

I'm ashamed to be a passholder ::hangs head::

cryan71
Wide-eyed Newcomer
Wide-eyed Newcomer

Post by cryan71 » Sat Nov 15, 2003 7:14 am

I see a ton of similarities between Disney Nuts and Star Wars Nuts. Many of the anti-social, sociopathic behaviours that you see in these groups are very similar.

My theory: they are hanging on to a bit of happiness that they found when they were younger; a sense of belonging or being a part of something bigger than they are. Many of them have never matured emotionally passed middle school, and this makes it difficult for them to adjust in an adult world.

I've hung out with people like Benji- they aren't really happy people.

BirdMom
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Re: hahaha

Post by BirdMom » Sat Nov 15, 2003 1:31 pm

theEpiphany wrote:Doug was argueing with a few CMs in Disneyana over the trivia question they had posted some weeks back. It was all based around a technicality. Him and I started going at it over and over again until I just said...Later.
Amazingly enough, the park gets phone calls about stupid stuff. I was working the control tower in Pirates one summer morning when the phone rang. It was a park operator transferring a call from a guest (you know outsiders are not supposed to be able to dial into locations inside the park). The guy was in a trivia argument over the pirate auctioneer's name. I told him that it was just a figure and it had no name (had worked the ride for about 5 years by that point) - the only figure in the ride who had a name was Carlos, the fat guy who gets dunked in the town well ("no, no, no Carlos - do not tell them - do not be a chicken!!!"). This guy is saying "are you sure?" and I'm thinking who are you going to believe - someone who actually works the stupid ride or some idiot from Peoria who's never been there in his life and believes every rumor he hears... :roll:

CujoSR
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by CujoSR » Sat Nov 15, 2003 6:57 pm

sociopathic? as in one more step and these people could me killers?
:Flame::m
one more step and mickey is toast

"A little swordplay, now and then, keeps my mind off sheep!"

"You're messing with my Zen thing, man."

"Dreams are as portals,
flat visions of misty places,
fragments bound below my surface,
but I can write dreams,
they flow from me,
inscribed but now unbound,
I touch them,
and they are real,
and they are real."

theEpiphany
Wide-eyed Newcomer
Wide-eyed Newcomer

Post by theEpiphany » Sun Nov 16, 2003 4:27 am

Birdmom...Old Bill and the Cats feel neglected ;) .

I totally feel your pain and witness it on a regular basis as a bystander. I get pretty emotional about a lot of stuff but like you and several others. I find it to be a socialogical anomaly (or maybe not so) that these people will try to improve their own self image by arguing or if it's not that it's something else that says "I have the upper hand on something that you should know better than me".

Witnessing a Guest who's smirking as if he had the upper hand from the get go, asking a friend of mine at the DL info board "How many "rides" are their at Disneyland?". The logical answer to this age old trick question is 1. But not it couldnt/didnt stop there. He went on for god knows how long about how there are 2-3 "rides". I lost interest in hearing this BS after about 11 seconds so I wandered off with a "good luck" exchanged before departure.

Another point. I had moved to California in Jan. First priority was to get to Disneyland. I took myself. I'm standing in line for the mansion with some nutball woman who starts talking to me out of the blue about her Disney collection as if her home was the apex to all Disneyana. Totally unprovoked with the exception of a comment of being social while waiting in line.

"I've got this and I've been doing it for this many years etc etc". My personal favorite was "Lets put it this way, I have stuff that used to be on the rides". She went on to tell me about how she got Snow White's apple Pinocchio's bowtie etc. In hindsight I should have put her on the spot and voiced my intense displeasure in knowing that she's ruining the "show" for her own personal pleasure. But I just stood there ignoring her.

Well that's enough venting for 1 day. Just do note that their are some APs that are on your side and who do voice it publically to the obnoxious APers nwo and again.

I'm sure I'll see some of you tomorrow. I might not know it's you. but hey that's half the fun.
-D