New CM 2/24/07?

This is a general discussion. If your topic doesn't fit anywhere else, put it here.
Big Wallaby
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Re: New CM 2/24/07?

Post by Big Wallaby » Fri Feb 16, 2007 10:57 pm

ThunderCat wrote:1) During the interview, SMILE and BE ANIMATED. Act like you're genuinely happy to be there. The only person I know who interviewed and wasn't hired by Disney was told afterwards "you didn't smile once during the interview."

2) Give the interviewer an anecdote about your history with Disney theme parks, TV, movies, cartoons, whatever -- it will help the interviewer see you more as a person and not as a "candidate".

3) Assuming you do get hired, remember: when dealing with rules that apply to guests, they're more guidelines than actual hard-and-fast rules.
Thanks for that! As I was reading the advice, I had an immediate, visceral thought for each one:

1) Not sure how not to smile and be animated. I would do horribly working at the Haunted Mansion. I couldn't keep character longer than eight seconds on that one. Imagine an American version of that great guy Steve Irwin, and you have me.

2) Got one from ToT, 1995 on my 15th birthday. It's a story I tell often in the customer service realm, of a CM that made the whole trip for me.

3) I love it when I can make a guest/customer/client think I bent and broke the rules for them. Makes their trip seem all the more special.

I appreciate the advice, TC!

Zazu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: WDW
Position: retired

Post by Zazu » Sat Feb 17, 2007 11:43 am

hhsrat wrote:Not 100% sure, but I seem to remember someone saying that you must have a FL drivers license for any role in transportation (busses/monorails) ... Boats, perhaps not, but I don't know.
Naw, they've had me drive cars, vans, firetrucks, and buses -- both inside the parks and out on the streets -- and never once even *asked* if I had a valid drivers license.

Mind you, perhaps they *should* have....

Zazu

Main Streeter
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by Main Streeter » Sat Feb 17, 2007 7:04 pm

Zazu wrote:Naw, they've had me drive cars, vans, firetrucks, and buses -- both inside the parks and out on the streets -- and never once even *asked* if I had a valid drivers license.
When I first hired in my CDL was noted "valid" & copied by DLR. Hasn't been updated since I changed departments as I don't need DL in stores.

"You work here? You must be SO rich!"

RESCUE A PET! [font="Arial Black"]Within the heart of every stray Lies the singular desire to be loved.[/font]

CBeilby
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by CBeilby » Sat Feb 17, 2007 10:04 pm

Main Streeter wrote:When I first hired in my CDL was noted "valid" & copied by DLR. Hasn't been updated since I changed departments as I don't need DL in stores.
Likely as a form of valid identification, or on the off chance you had to drive one of the club cars in Custodial before you transferred out (although they never did that to me.)

Main Streeter
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by Main Streeter » Sun Feb 18, 2007 1:51 am

CBeilby wrote:Likely as a form of valid identification, or on the off chance you had to drive one of the club cars in Custodial before you transferred
CB, my CDL was taken as hire in ID but also because we were to do a few errands here & there in the club cars & those dear old beaten up custodial trucks. ;) This was pre & during DCA opening. Chaos is a mild description of Custodial back then. :eek:

RESCUE A PET! [font="Arial Black"]Within the heart of every stray Lies the singular desire to be loved.[/font]

Brayon
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by Brayon » Sat Feb 24, 2007 7:45 pm

Has anyone else found it strange that they don't drug test? :confused:

I mean, they fingerprinted us, and ran Background checks through FBI and Interpol, but no drug test???

darph nader
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by darph nader » Sun Feb 25, 2007 12:58 am

Hey Brayon,those drug tests are not all their cracked up to be.First time I had to write my name in a jar (as we called it), I did'nt get to test ONE single drug. :mad: (not that I was'nt ready for it) :(

Main Streeter
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by Main Streeter » Sun Feb 25, 2007 7:35 am

Brayon wrote:Has anyone else found it strange that they don't drug test? :confused:

I mean, they fingerprinted us, and ran Background checks through FBI and Interpol, but no drug test???
I was never fingerprinted when hired in at DLR. WDW does prints? No kidding? :confused: I've been told by friends at TDA drug testing is simply too expensive. Half of CMs at DLR would be termed if Disney did implement drug testing!! :eek: Most guests are positive Disney does testing. Such Magic in a name. :rolleyes:

Cheshire Figment
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by Cheshire Figment » Sun Feb 25, 2007 7:46 am

WDW does fingerprints on everyone. Checks are through FBI and Florida Department of Law Enforcement to verify that you have (a) not been convicted of doing terrible things to children, and (b) may be trusted to handle money.

bpgstudios
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by bpgstudios » Sun Feb 25, 2007 9:50 am

Plus, imagine all the urine they'd have to store. Hap-pee-est place on earth indeed. :gross:

And yes, I was fingerprinted too. They had such a hard time getting my right pinky to scan, it was pretty funny.

"Where is 21?"
-Before 22?