Wheelchair Fakers

All other Theme Park Employees post your stupid guest tricks here. This forum is not for general Theme Park discussion. Please use the Break Room, for non stupid guest trick topics.
SpaceCoyote
Wide-eyed Newcomer
Wide-eyed Newcomer

Re: Wheelchair Fakers

Post by SpaceCoyote » Sun Jun 25, 2006 4:11 am

We had some wheelchair fakers about a year ago. A group of 8 teenagers, one in a wheel chair, all going through Gate A over and over and over again. How did they get caught? Each time they went on the ride, they had a different person from their group in the wheelchair. After the third time, our manager booted them out.

felinefan
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by felinefan » Mon Jun 26, 2006 3:04 am

At Knott's the only wheelchair accessible ride is the Calico Railroad, but I've had guests who come just to ride that--over and over! The wheelchair lift in the Stock Car/Cattle Car has a weight limit of about 350 lbs., if I remember right. I've had a couple of times when there was so much junk hanging off the back and handles of a wheelchair, we had to ask the guest to remove the stuff because the lift wouldn't operate. And of course there is a size limit--they usually can't get the Hoverround/ Lil Rascals on, too wide/deep for the lift. And it's amazing how much weight those batteries on the electrics weigh. So if you're in a chair and you go to Knott's, (you poor sap!) if possible ride the train in a regular chair; those always fit. I don't recall if we had any real problems with fakers; maybe you had to prove you needed a chair in order to rent one. Make sure those who really need them get them.

AngelEyes
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by AngelEyes » Fri Oct 27, 2006 1:06 pm

1team1dream wrote:Part of my disability is the inability to walk far distances, therefore when I come in the park I do get a wheel chair. I'm sure I receive plenty of looks when I stand up to either get my wallet or walk onto a ride. Believe me, I would much rather trade places with a normal person any day. I use to love to walk. I never make any assumptions and always ask, not demand, to find out if there is a handicap accessible line or not. It saddens me that there are people out there that do fake it and ruin things for those of us who do need to be in chairs and receive attitudes from both guests and some cast members. :mad:
My mom is kind of in the same boat. She has emphysema and has trouble walking long distances from time to time, usually depending on the weather. She has a handicapped pass that she will use when parking only if she needs it. There has been a few times when she's gotten dirty looks from people thinking she's faking because aside from having breathing problems she is healthy and nothing appears to be wrong with her. I admit, before this started happening to her, I was one of those people that would give dirty looks. Now I don't, because you never know.

Disgruntled Ride Operator
Wide-eyed Newcomer
Wide-eyed Newcomer

Post by Disgruntled Ride Operator » Sun Oct 29, 2006 3:03 am

It’s just like how the able people park in the designated Disabled parking space and walk just fine.

Theme parks are really human zoos, from my own experiences and the tales I have read on this web site. Damn, I never knew that working in theme park would really color the way I perceive the human race!

mechurchlady
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by mechurchlady » Sun Oct 29, 2006 5:42 am

I can walk fine but as the day goes along my joints hurt so bad, extreme pain and then crankyness. right now I have scoliosis, damage from stuff and arthritis. Mid day I am fine but mornings and end of day you cannot get me to move.

It is sad there are fakers out there who then make it harder for those of use who are truly disabled.

PirateGirl
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by PirateGirl » Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:44 am

My disability makes me easily dehydrated and easily tired if exercising. (Thank Goodness I was allowed to skip P.E. in school.) If I get overheated, I end up having to look for a toilet or a trash can to vomit in. So to help with this problem, I sometimes rent a wheelchair when I know I'm going to a place outdoors and am going to be there for a long while, such as a park. I can walk fine, it's just that I don't want to get too hot and end up ruining my shirt with what I ate for breakfast. This doesn't qualify me as a stupid guest does it? Oh god, I hope not.

~Why is the rum always gone?

~Whoever said, "Dead men tell no tales" have obviosly never worked as a forensic investigator

~Savvy?

drcorey
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by drcorey » Fri Jan 19, 2007 1:19 pm

PirateGirl wrote:My disability makes me easily dehydrated and easily tired if exercising. (Thank Goodness I was allowed to skip P.E. in school.) If I get overheated, I end up having to look for a toilet or a trash can to vomit in. So to help with this problem, I sometimes rent a wheelchair when I know I'm going to a place outdoors and am going to be there for a long while, such as a park. I can walk fine, it's just that I don't want to get too hot and end up ruining my shirt with what I ate for breakfast. This doesn't qualify me as a stupid guest does it? Oh god, I hope not.
no, not if you need one, thats what they are for.
also, see a doctor, sounds like the onset of diabetes.

PirateGirl
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by PirateGirl » Fri Jan 19, 2007 1:59 pm

It's not diabetes. It's something else. Malfunctioning intestines and bowels to be more precise. My doctors already know about this. By the way, did I tell you I'm new?

~Why is the rum always gone?

~Whoever said, "Dead men tell no tales" have obviosly never worked as a forensic investigator

~Savvy?

SmartGuest
Wide-eyed Newcomer
Wide-eyed Newcomer

Post by SmartGuest » Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:37 am

Disgruntled Ride Operator wrote:It’s just like how the able people park in the designated Disabled parking space and walk just fine.
You don't necessarily have to have difficulty walking to warrant a handicapped parking pass. As the poster above mentioned, those with emphysema often have them, as do those with severe asthma or heart problems. There are may "invisible" disabilities. The true "fakers" are despicable, but we all should make sure we're not too quick to judge who is and is not truly disabled.

dizneeluvr
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by dizneeluvr » Fri Jan 26, 2007 2:35 pm

my 13 year old gets a wheelchair cause she's to big for a stroller. she also as a congenital heart defect which causes her to tire easily.. she is able to walk short distances and transfer on rides. there have been times when we were willing to go the route of other guests, and the CM's would guide us to the wheelchair line, even after we said it's okay to walk. as far as anyone can see she looks fine, and we do get looks, but i look right back, daring them to say something to me, i wish we didn't have to use the chair. but it's much easier for her. as far as the fakers are concerned they may end up actually needing a wheel chair someday.