So i want to be a cast member...

This is a general discussion. If your topic doesn't fit anywhere else, put it here.
drcorey
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Re: So i want to be a cast member...

Post by drcorey » Sun Jan 07, 2007 10:14 am

I have never been a cast member,
but I got in a car wreck once and had my member casted,
does this count?

McGintoy
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by McGintoy » Tue Jan 09, 2007 4:43 am

Working at Disneyland is quite fun. It can be frustrating at times, but that can be said of almost any job out there. It is, however, definitely worth working the holidays/weekends because of the friendships you will inevitably come across.

I'm not sure exactly how the Character Host auditions work, but you won't know until you try! Give it a shot. Character Hosts are typically very perky/cheery. They maintain a a cheerful demeanor even when an irate parent is in their face because Mickey went on break when they were next in line for a picture. If this sounds good to you, go try out. It is, however, a selective field. So don't be disappointed if they don't offer you a position.

Attractions is always looking for people. The turnover rate is fairly high. We've lost quite a few CMs in my area in the last few months.

In Attractions, Disneyland is split up into different areas. It is first split into "Westside" and "Eastside". Within those areas, the different lands are grouped together. In Westside, Adventureland, Frontierland, and Main Street are in one group, and New Orleans and Critter Country are in another group. I'm not quite positive on the grouping of Eastside, but I believe Tomorrowland is in its own group, and Fantasyland/Toontown is split somehow. Anyway, you can only work on attractions within your specific area. So if you are like me and work in Adventureland/Frontierland/Main Street, you can only work on attractions in those lands, which would be Steam Trains, Vehicles, Opera House, Indiana Jones, Jungle Cruise, Tiki Room, Thunder Mountain, and Guest Control for the Parades. You can only work on attractions you have been trained on. When you've been around a while, you can get "cross-trained" so you can work another attraction as well. I currently work on 4 different attractions. Does this make sense?

As far as requesting a specific area: you can try. You can ask to be placed in a specific area, or on a specific attraction, but there are no guarantees. You can tell them you do not want a certain area (I know some people would go insane in Fantasyland or Toontown), but again, no guarantees. When I hired in, I was given a choice: Adv/Front/MS or Tomorrowland. Hopefully you will be offered options. If you do choose Attractions, and they give you a choice, just consider which attractions would be in your area, and go from there.

In the end, Attractions is MUCH easier to get into than Entertainment (Character Hosts/Characters). If you saw some of my co-workers on Attractions, you would know that they definitely aren't very picky, lol.

Good luck, and maybe I'll see you soon :D:

dazyhill
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by dazyhill » Tue Jan 09, 2007 11:51 pm

I admire you ambition to be a cast member because it was something I had when I was your age.
If I could give you any advice it would be this:
Keep your eyes and your ears open, but your mouth shut.
This means look for the opportunites your job offers but avoid the gossip and speaking your opinion-esp. if it is negative. You never know who is listening and if they are way too friendly with the supervisors and leads.
Work hard and be honest with yourself.

GaTechGal
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by GaTechGal » Wed Jan 10, 2007 8:52 am

dazyhill wrote:I admire you ambition to be a cast member because it was something I had when I was your age.
If I could give you any advice it would be this:
Keep your eyes and your ears open, but your mouth shut.
This means look for the opportunites your job offers but avoid the gossip and speaking your opinion-esp. if it is negative. You never know who is listening and if they are way too friendly with the supervisors and leads.
Work hard and be honest with yourself.
Good advice for ANY job. :)

bpgstudios
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by bpgstudios » Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:08 am

"Keep your eyes and ears open and your mouth shut" is something my father tought me to do. Well, I followed that advice in my casting interview and almost didn't make it. My interviewer mentioned halfway through the interview "Well, you seem very shy and you're not very talkative... With your technical skills I would rather see you in Photopass, but not attractions". I explained how much I had my heart set on attractions, and she finally gave in, claiming that she'd put me in Fantasyland since its more technical nature and less speiling. Sounds like she's gotta get out to the parks more...

If you want any kind of on-stage high guest contact role, make sure to have a confident YES ready to reply to "Are you able to memorize a 100-page speil in one hour, and be able to recite most of it to a large group of strangers?"

"Where is 21?"
-Before 22?

CBeilby
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by CBeilby » Wed Jan 10, 2007 8:21 pm

bpgstudios wrote:Sounds like she's gotta get out to the parks more...
Generally true of anyone in Casting/HR, or any Team Disney position for that matter...
:rolleyes:

yargg
Wide-eyed Newcomer
Wide-eyed Newcomer

Post by yargg » Wed Jan 10, 2007 8:49 pm

bpgstudios wrote: My interviewer mentioned halfway through the interview "Well, you seem very shy and you're not very talkative...
I have always been super shy, I am not exactly a shy person, just around adults and in school and whatever I become very quite, I just always wanted to be respectful. At Disneyland though I am pretty much the exact opposite, and I know I would have a blast working with characters and would easily overcome my shy side, my only problem is the audition; when I am around these people judging me my tendicy would be to keep my mouth shut, but being that it is a DL audition HOPEFULLY I would be having a ball..(i hope :D: ). anyways thanks for all you are saying on this, its making me mucho excited.

yargg
Wide-eyed Newcomer
Wide-eyed Newcomer

Post by yargg » Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:29 pm

While I was there today I talked to an entertainment host who said that he loved his job, but I really should try auditioning for a character. I always thought that I couldnt becuase I dont fit in any of the height brackets(I am just barley almost 5'8) but he said they just eliminated the grey area, and now certain characters like Pluto can be in the 5'7/5'8 height range. Since pretty much nobody was in the park we had prolly a good 10 min. conversation about auditions. So now I am considering this too..I dunno there are too many options!

yargg
Wide-eyed Newcomer
Wide-eyed Newcomer

Post by yargg » Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:33 pm

Well I just thought I'd let everyone know that I went in today and did all the application stuff and whatnot and I am interviewing tomorrow at 3:30. I figured the chances of me getting hired as a host is slim, I'd love to make it, but I figured that I might as well see what the whole process is like.
AHHHH wow I am actually verrrrrry excited. :D:

poorman
Wide-eyed Newcomer
Wide-eyed Newcomer

Post by poorman » Tue May 29, 2007 3:05 pm

yargg wrote:Well I just thought I'd let everyone know that I went in today and did all the application stuff and whatnot and I am interviewing tomorrow at 3:30. I figured the chances of me getting hired as a host is slim, I'd love to make it, but I figured that I might as well see what the whole process is like.
AHHHH wow I am actually verrrrrry excited. :D:
Well??????