just plain mean

Disneyland Resort Cast Members post your stupid guest tricks here. This forum is not for general Disneyland discussion. Please use the Break Room, for non stupid guest trick topics.
BirdMom
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

just plain mean

Post by BirdMom » Fri Feb 28, 2003 2:03 pm

You know how certain people rent wheel chairs during the summer because they don't want to wait in line? In the early 90's we were having all this drama over our wheelchair policy. It had gone from back dooring the person in the wheelchair plus one other (which would piss them off because they'd say "you're splitting up our family,") then it went to an unlimited number of people with the wheelie bound person (which, of course, all the jerks took advantage of). I don't know what the number is these days - for awhile they settled on 4.

This one August day, we had maximum attendance, so all the chains for G.C. were set up around the fountain, in front of the train station for the overflow Mansion queue. Our A lead instructed us to send wheelie groups through the first part of the queue, then let them cut at the first bend near the front porch instead of just skipping the beginning of the line - it was that crowded. There was what looked like a Girl Scout Troop - one girl in a wheelie, and about 20 other kids, two troop leaders. And the kid in the wheelie looked healthy - in other words, the bottoms of her shoes looked dirty and worn. Anyway, they wanted an immediate back door, and I told them "I'm sorry, we're so busy today, you'll have to wait in about half the line up to that point, but you won't have to go through the switchbacks." Nasty witch troopleader says "this is ridiculous - you're supposed to cut us in to the front if we have a wheelchair." I replied "On days like this when we are much busier than normal, we can't do that. We modified our policy to make it as fair to everyone as possible - your group still will not have to go through the entire line. It's an hour and a half wait right now, and you'll only be in line 20 minutes at the most." Of course she didn't like that, so she yells "I want to talk to someone in charge right now!" Fortunately, I'd been annointed G.C. lead for the day, had the radio strapped to my apron and said "Ma'am, I'm in charge. I'd love to cut you to the front right now, but I'm just not allowed to do that today." Well, she got all pissed off and glared at me as they stomped to the end of the line.

About two hours later, I got called to the supervisor's office to be told "we just had a guest complaint that you were rude." I was racking my brain trying to think when or who when Debbie said that this guest claimed she asked me what time it was and I told her "why don't you go to Main Street and look at the clock in the tower there?" I said "what???!!!" and started laughing, and of course Debbie started laughing too. Look, I would never have told a guest that, even in my grouchiest moment and that's what I told the supervisor. She was laughing when she said "yeah, that's what I thought." I asked her to describe the guest, and of course, it turned out to be the nasty troop leader. Wasn't she setting a fine example for her girls? Don't get what you want? Lie about the person who denied you your wish. :roll: