That was it??

Walt Disney World Resort Cast Members post your stupid guest tricks here. This forum is not for general Walt Disney World discussion. Please use the Break Room, for non stupid guest trick topics.
Taryn
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

That was it??

Post by Taryn » Wed Sep 13, 2006 10:46 am

So, last night, my coworker came across a couple on their Honeymoon from Italy. They had just gotten off of Spaceship Earth, and were asking how to get to the Monorail. My co-cm asked why they weren't going in to the rest of the park. The couple stared at him blankly, before revealing that they were under the impression that Spaceship Earth was the ONLY ATTRACTION at Epcot. They thought they had payed who knows how much just to take a 15 minute ride in a giant golf ball. They didn't know about Mission Space or Test Track or even the World Showcase. They were quite astounded (and happy) when he showed them a map of Epcot.

My question is: How do you spend thousands of dollars/Euros/whatever to take a trip to the other side of the WORLD without doing ANY research???

Mmm, Protein Spill....

Pooh Bear Fan
Wide-eyed Newcomer
Wide-eyed Newcomer

Re: That was it??

Post by Pooh Bear Fan » Wed Sep 13, 2006 10:56 am

Good question. I don't know the answer. :confused:

I spent a month looking into what we could do at each park. I spoke to people that had been, read books, took notes, joined on line forums like this one and all of that. Yet, when I got there, I saw plenty of people that had just bought the tickets and got on a plane. They were shocked to find that there were no lines. (My family was there Labor Day week :D: ) They had no idea that you could take a bottle of water into the park or that to park hop you needed to add on to your ticket. They were in the dark.

Why people would spend thousands of dollars for a trip, when they know nothing about where they are going, eludes me.

BRWombat
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Department: Offsite Harmony
Position: Back Row Baritone

Post by BRWombat » Wed Sep 13, 2006 12:04 pm

Pooh Bear Fan wrote:Good question. I don't know the answer. :confused:

I spent a month looking into what we could do at each park. I spoke to people that had been, read books, took notes, joined on line forums like this one and all of that. Yet, when I got there, I saw plenty of people that had just bought the tickets and got on a plane. They were shocked to find that there were no lines. (My family was there Labor Day week :D: ) They had no idea that you could take a bottle of water into the park or that to park hop you needed to add on to your ticket. They were in the dark.

Why people would spend thousands of dollars for a trip, when they know nothing about where they are going, eludes me.
Amazing, isn't it? I just can't understand it at all.

What really astonished me recently is that even a veteran Disneyphile, an author of books on Disney and manager of a fansite (who shall remain nameless, but his report is here), did the
exact same thing when he went to write on taking a Disney cruise for the first time. Most of his complaints were about things he didn't know before he got there -- and most of the information he lacked he could have easily found in advance with just a little research. His complaints on the dress expectations, the kids' programs, tips for cost-cutting, etc., are all items that could have been avoided with PassPorter, the Magical Disney Cruise Guide, and any number of fansites.

The information is out there, people!!!

Actually, this raises an interesting question: Does this mean these people check their brains not at the gates, but several months before leaving home??? :eek:

"This would be a great place if we could only get rid of all these people." - Walt Disney

Image Image
VocalMajority
Twitter

LittleDollClaudia
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by LittleDollClaudia » Wed Sep 13, 2006 12:21 pm

Mmm, brains. Tasty. Needs garlic though.

^^ Hey, that's me! ^^

kujo54
Wide-eyed Newcomer
Wide-eyed Newcomer

Post by kujo54 » Wed Sep 13, 2006 4:53 pm

BRWombat wrote: Actually, this raises an interesting question: Does this mean these people check their brains not at the gates, but several months before leaving home??? :eek:

I've lurked here for awhile, but I HAD to comment on that. I used to work at DRC, and trust me, it starts at home before they even book their reservation. It starts with the initial dialing of the phone.....

Rosie
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by Rosie » Wed Sep 13, 2006 7:19 pm

When my in-laws came from Italy to visit 20 years ago we took them to WDW. MK and EPCOT were the only two parks open back then. They hated the only thing. They felt there was too much to do! I am sure they felt overwhelmed. I suspect many of the older Europeans feel the same.

Rosie

Syndrome
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by Syndrome » Wed Sep 13, 2006 8:18 pm

Mr. Syndrome has shame-facedly admitted to me that he used to think that Spaceship Earth was actually all of Epcot. But that was back in the days before he ever even had a desire to visit WDW. He had just seen pictures etc. and assumed that the "golf ball" was it. He has since been thoroughly re-educated and had the Disney chip firmly implanted in his brain. ;)

"If you are a dee, please don't marry a dee, 'cause then your kids will be dee dee dee." ....Carlos Mencia

"It's the difference between champagne and carbonated pee!" ....Homer Simpson

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Nice work, pal

LittleDollClaudia
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by LittleDollClaudia » Thu Sep 14, 2006 4:47 am

Heehee, it reminds me of the classic Tiny Toons How I Spent My Summer Vacation video. Plucky goes with Hampton's family to Happy World Land "where the fun doesn't stop at only 80 bucks a pop". They drive about a million miles, ride the monorail, and leave. Plucky complains about leaving and the dad says "don't want to overdo it our first visit." The even funnier thing about it is this was made in 1992 and the implications are becoming more true as time goes on.

^^ Hey, that's me! ^^

felinefan
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by felinefan » Thu Sep 14, 2006 7:45 am

I remember at Knott's people would ask where certain long-vanished rides were--one guy actually asked where the Corkscrew was! That hummer went out like 15-20 years ago! But most people asked for the Haunted Shack (sigh). Another one was so obvious it was funny--asking for the Parachute Drop! You know that tower with the stylized "K" and Sky Cabin on it? The Parachute Drop was on that, but when they put in Supreme Scream, it was similar, so they axed PD. But I can still find some pictures for Knott's that feature it!
And there were a couple of times when people would leave their maps that they obviously printed off the internet behind on the Grand Sierra Steamtrain--those would have such old information, it was hilarious! I mean, come on, what site are you getting this stuff off of? I don't recall if they were all forgien; most, I think, were from the Midwest and East. Don't get out much, do they? ;)

tacoboy
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by tacoboy » Thu Sep 14, 2006 2:11 pm

[quote="felinefan"]I remember at Knott's people would ask where certain long-vanished rides were--one guy actually asked where the Corkscrew was! That hummer went out like 15-20 years ago! But most people asked for the Haunted Shack (sigh). Another one was so obvious it was funny--asking for the Parachute Drop! You know that tower with the stylized "K" and Sky Cabin on it? The Parachute Drop was on that, but when they put in Supreme Scream, it was similar, so they axed PD. But I can still find some pictures for Knott's that feature it!
And there were a couple of times when people would leave their maps that they obviously printed off the internet behind on the Grand Sierra Steamtrain--those would have such old information, it was hilarious! I mean, come on, what site are you getting this stuff off of? I don't recall if they were all forgien]

Nope, they spend time in the parks in that area and ask us the same questions they ask you....even if they have an annual pass! :D:

"Do human beings realize life as they live it? Every... every minute?"

"No. Walt Disney, maybe, but that's about it."