Well He Shouldn't have been standing there.

Walt Disney World Resort Cast Members post your stupid guest tricks here. This forum is not for general Walt Disney World discussion. Please use the Break Room, for non stupid guest trick topics.
Kwahati
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Re: Well He Shouldn't have been standing there.

Post by Kwahati » Thu Aug 31, 2006 6:19 am

ThunderCat wrote:Can't tell you how many parents have actually thanked me for that.... (far more than have cursed at me for it).
I'm truly curious: who buys their kid something and then thanks a stranger for saying don't use it? I'm not doubting you a bit, TC, I'm just wondering if this is a case of parents trying to be their kids' friend and getting them the skates because 'all the other kids have them' and then they don't know how to tell their kid 'No! It's not appropriate now' or what. When my parents got me a toy that turned out to be dangerous or annoying, they'd find a tactful way of taking it away and maybe replacing it with something else...or at least they could say 'not now' when I was being a little shit, with or without a toy. (On a related note, a friend of mine accidentally clothes-lined a kid on those skates in the grocery store today! I'm glad it was accidental, but that kid went flyin' and it sure was hard to not laugh at the dad: getting mad, but feeling impotent while my friend is telling him 'you should teach your kid the appropriate time and place to use those...he coulda got really hurt!' Good thing kids are durable!) :twisted:

Alyssa3467
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by Alyssa3467 » Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:33 am

I haven't had anyone thank me for it, although I have had a few pull the "everyone else has 'em" card, and one or two say something along the lines of "See, I told you they'd make you take 'em off!" :confused:

ThunderCat
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by ThunderCat » Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:49 pm

Kwahati wrote:I'm truly curious: who buys their kid something and then thanks a stranger for saying don't use it? I'm not doubting you a bit, TC, I'm just wondering if this is a case of parents trying to be their kids' friend and getting them the skates because 'all the other kids have them' and then they don't know how to tell their kid 'No! It's not appropriate now' or what.
Bingo.

It's amazing to me how many parents are more than willing to put their kids in jeopardy or danger in the name of "having a good time" (usually in regards to trying to browbeat me into letting their small kids have a go on Big Thunder). Today, I had an epiphany: it's not that they want to risk their kids... it's that they don't know any better.

True story time.

Today, I had a guest try to bring his 38" tall child on the ride (the limit is 40"). When I told them no, the father said, "What if I hold him?"

Me: (Laughing) "Oh, you wouldn't be able to do that, sir."

SG: "Yes, I can! I'll can hold him!"

Me: "No, you can't. Simple physics. If the train collides with a stationary object, at a rate of 35 MPH, your child will exert enough force as to be instantly ripped out of your arms."

SG: ".....oh."

Taryn
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by Taryn » Mon Sep 04, 2006 10:52 am

ThunderCat wrote:More often, I'm saying "Could you please remove the wheels from your shoes during your visit to The Magic Kingdom? I'm afraid we don't allow roller skating anywhere in the park." Can't tell you how many parents have actually thanked me for that.... (far more than have cursed at me for it).
Is it even possible to take the wheels out without a special tool?? I was under the impression that they were a permanent part of the shoe.

Mmm, Protein Spill....

ThunderCat
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by ThunderCat » Mon Sep 04, 2006 12:33 pm

Taryn wrote:Is it even possible to take the wheels out without a special tool?? I was under the impression that they were a permanent part of the shoe.
Well... there are different makes and models. The most popular are called "Heelies" and the wheels can be removed by simply exerting pressure on one side of the wheel. Once removed, a rubber plug is then inserted into the wheel cavity. A special tool is needed to remove the rubber plug; however, as Heelies are not permitted on WDW property, this shouldn't be an issue.

There are other shoes where the wheels retract into the shoe with a pushbutton, but I haven't seen many of those (I usually tell the guest that they must keep the wheels retracted for the duration of their visit).

bpgstudios
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by bpgstudios » Mon Sep 04, 2006 11:26 pm

I usually try to tell guests especially in the small world or pan queue that there is no roller skating in WDW. I wish more CMs would back up this rule. I usually only say something in the morning because thats when it has the most effect. Otherwise I always get the "Well noone else told us to stop so your just lying" line.

Thanks to anyone that will back me up though! I'll always back up another CM on this I've seen one too many kids almost slide down the small world queue face first because of those things.

"Where is 21?"
-Before 22?

ThunderCat
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by ThunderCat » Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:34 am

bpgstudios wrote:"Well noone else told us to stop so your just lying"
I usually just laugh and say, "We don't allow running... much less roller skating! But if you like, I'll be more than happy to call for a Guest Service Coordinator or Manager to come out and confirm this policy for you."

That usually shuts them down (NOTE: Do not attempt this if your area managers or coordinators are the type to look at the guest blankly and say "Um, I don't think it's specifically against the rules per se to skate here. I don't know what he's talking about").

saidthekat
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by saidthekat » Tue Sep 05, 2006 3:27 pm

A fellow Cast Member who was on limited duty due to another work-related injury was mowed down repeatedly by a woman in an ECV. If it weren't for the quick thinking of a nearby lead who pulled out the "key", I don't know what would have happened.

The CM saw the ECV coming towards her, and attempted to move out of the way. The guest driving the ECV, turned in to the CM. Eventually, the CM got her injured arm and leg pinned between the ECV and a fence. The guest driving the ECV just kept saying "sorry" and turning the ECV in a manner that didn't allow the CM to free herself from between the ECV and the wall... So the CM just kept getting hit by the ECV...

The CM walked away with nothing worse than a GIANT bruise on her arm and legs...

[font=Lucida Console]"...on our right hand side is the cottage where snow white lives with the seven dwarves... and behind it are the woods where hunters shot bambi's mother, and she died..."[/font]

[font=Lucida Console]"Attention in and around the Tinkerbell: Boat will be powered up immediately in forward mode. Please stand clear."[/font]

[font=Lucida Console]"i'm going pee-pee! i'm going pee-pee!"[/font]

Yeti Chaser
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by Yeti Chaser » Tue Sep 05, 2006 6:45 pm

:confused: I said it before in this thread and I'll say it again; Folks :old: should be given a driving test BEFORE they are unleashed on unsuspecting guests and CM's :bugeyes: :auto:

[font=Comic Sans MS]NAMASTE[/font]

Main_Street_Merch
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by Main_Street_Merch » Sat Sep 09, 2006 6:28 pm

In my experience... people who actually need the ECV are usually very courtious drivers because they ure practiced in driving through large groups. Its the ones that get the ECV in an attempt to skip lines or because they are too lazy to walk that are the issue.

Former: MK & Studios Guest Relations, Pirate's League Opening Team, MK, Studios, & DAK Events, Dream Squad, Entertainment, Typhoon Deep Lifeguard, Africa Ops: WLE and KSR, Main Street East Merch.
Briefly: Disneyland Cast Activities.