Dismantle the Magic!

This is a general discussion. If your topic doesn't fit anywhere else, put it here.
SoarWhoreCoCo
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Re: Dismantle the Magic!

Post by SoarWhoreCoCo » Fri May 26, 2006 10:34 pm

darph nader wrote:The 2 i miss the most are PM and ATIS. TOO COOL. Nice and slow,relaxing. :D:
I'm sorry Darph but I am either really tired or just stoopid what are PM and
ATIS?

:horseappl Hey guys!... now I know why they call it Nugget Way!
:supercat: Super Size my Love Nuggets
:poke: One of the most feared of all weapons..."Poo On A Stick"
:beaker:MEEP!:beaker:

SoarWhoreCoCo
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by SoarWhoreCoCo » Fri May 26, 2006 10:37 pm

SoarWhoreCoCo wrote:I'm sorry Darph but I am either really tired or just stoopid what are PM and
ATIS?
Neeever mind I am stoopid: :duh: :oweye:
People Mover and Adventure Thru Inner Space (right)

Plus I quoted myself...I should go to bed!

P.S. That Eyeball scared me silly

:horseappl Hey guys!... now I know why they call it Nugget Way!
:supercat: Super Size my Love Nuggets
:poke: One of the most feared of all weapons..."Poo On A Stick"
:beaker:MEEP!:beaker:

darph nader
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by darph nader » Sat May 27, 2006 12:28 am

You're forgiven. The 'eyeball' i'm sure saw a lot of middle fingers,not that "I" would have done that. :rolleyes:

felinefan
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by felinefan » Sun May 28, 2006 7:45 am

I liked the Monsanto display after Journey through Inner Space, Carousel of Progress ("There's a great, big, beautiful tomorrow....") with its seasonal time periods of Spring, 1900, Summer, 1920, Fall, 1940 and Winter 1960. Does DL still have America Sings? What about the cyclotron where you go into this first room, there are flags of the states hanging from the ceiling, and the guide asks if there's anyone from other states, gets people to identify the flags, then when the countdown timer reaches zero, ushers them into another room with railings, and the cyclotron shows movies in the round of sights of America across the country, and because of the surround picture/sound you have the feeling of motion? Or the Main Street Theatre that as a kid I never got the nerve to go into because a character dressed as Dr. Jekyll was always hanging around out front? I think they also had model Homes of the future (as concieved in the early/mid 1960s) you could walk through, though they would now need major upgrading! Or how about Great Moments with Mister Lincoln? Haven't been to DL since the early 80s, now that I have a good-paying job, maybe I should go back. Screw Knott's, though.

Ottar
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by Ottar » Sun May 28, 2006 9:47 am

I really, REALLY miss the visionarium at DLP... Timekeeper and 9-Eye were such loveable characters and the whole attraction was sort of unique in that park. They removed it to accomodate Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin - a bad choice in my humble opinion since the ride would have been much more suited for WDS...

In Walt's days, quality and capacity did not compete.

Zazu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: WDW
Position: retired

Post by Zazu » Sun May 28, 2006 2:18 pm

felinefan wrote:I liked the Monsanto display after Journey through Inner Space, Carousel of Progress.... Does DL still have America Sings? What about the cyclotron where... there are flags of the states hanging from the ceiling... another room with railings, and the cyclotron shows movies in the round of sights of America...? Or the Main Street Theatre that.. I never got... into because a character dressed as Dr. Jekyll was... out front? I think they also had model Homes of the future...! Or how about Great Moments with Mister Lincoln? Haven't been to DL since the early 80s, now that I have a good-paying job, maybe I should go back. Screw Knott's, though.
You haven't been to Disneyland in a looooong time!

* "Adventure Thru Inner Space" closed on 2 Sept. 1985.
* "General Electric's Carousel of Progress" closed in Disneyland on 9 Sept. 1973 and moved to WDW.
* "America Sings" closed on 10 April 1988.
* "Circarama", renamed "Circle-Vision 360" in 1967, closing on 7 July 1996.
* "Main Street Cinema" is still open at DL, but there has never been a Dr. Jekyll character in a Disney Park.
* "Monsanto House of the Future" closed on Dec., 1967, not to be confused with "Crane Company Bathroom of Tomorrow" which closed on 31 Aug. 1960. (Wow, seven years without a loo!)
* "Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln" closed the first time on 1 Jan. 1973. It reopened in 1975, and was reprogrammed in 1984 (the "winkin' blinkin' Lincoln"), and closed again in 2005 for the present 50th anniversary film.

Don't write off Knotts. Cedar Fair management has made some improvements of late, including hiring some of the good CMs that Disney has cast off. Small pieces of what it once was are still visible.

Of course, I haven't been to Knotts myself since the started to charge for admission, so perhaps I'm not the best source on that.

Zazu

Morticia
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by Morticia » Mon May 29, 2006 9:45 am

I miss Cranium Command. "Where do you people think you are? Disney World?" *sigh*

felinefan
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by felinefan » Tue May 30, 2006 2:56 am

Zazu, trust me, if the management at Knott's was halfways decent, it would still be worth going to. But as one who has had a close-up encounter with the inner workings of the park, believe me, it ain't what it used to be. You think Eisner's bad? He's an amateur compared to everybody in Knott's management. I will never go back to Knott's ever again. As for the Dr. Jekyll character, all I remember was it was a really creepy-looking guy that closely resembled Dr. Jekyll; he would peer around the corner of the entrance of the theater from time to time. One time I saw him interacting with a couple of teenage girls; they were laughing and joking with him as he tried to tousle their hair. I remember from the map/guide of the time that the theater showed silent movies/melodramas. I know it wasn't at Knott's because 1.) we were more into Disneyland than Knott's, though we visited both several times; and 2.) the only theater Knott's had at that time was the Bird Cage Theater, which except around Christmas is closed, though they keep the lobby open so people can go in and look at the pictures and try out the antique mechanical games. *sigh* Why do amusement parks have to get rid of all the good stuff and put youth-oriented, non-family friendly stuff in its place? I know they have to change in order to compete, but when you've had guests ask where such and such an attraction is, and you have to tell them it's no longer there, it's a real downer. Especially when people come from far away, including other countries, who have been anticipating getting on the now-gone attractions for years. I remember one guest asking if there was a place where they could pick fruit. At first, I thought he meant a pick-your-own place, but then it became evident that he was referring to the original boysenberry bushes. Those were torn out when they moved the Church of Reflections to build Silver Bullet. One guy was very upset to learn that the original berry stand had been destroyed; he said if he had known it was going to be discarded, he would've bought it. But Knott's management doesn't care about historic preservation, only profits. Really sad.

WhirlWindSpin
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by WhirlWindSpin » Fri Jun 02, 2006 12:32 am

Zazu wrote:I miss just about all of them. <sniff>

(I really didn't like being told I had no imagination)
"As you can see, there's not much going on upstairs imagination wise..."

It is not Fast Track, it is Test Track. It is not Orgasmic, it is Fantasmic. It is not Innovations, it is Innoventions. It is not Disney Zoo, it is Animal Kingdom. It is not Network Neighborhood, it is Global Neighborhood.

WhirlWindSpin
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by WhirlWindSpin » Fri Jun 02, 2006 12:35 am

Ottar wrote:I really, REALLY miss the visionarium at DLP... Timekeeper and 9-Eye were such loveable characters and the whole attraction was sort of unique in that park. They removed it to accomodate Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin - a bad choice in my humble opinion since the ride would have been much more suited for WDS...
That's the same as TimeKeeper at Magic Kingdom, right? It was getting kind of old, a updated one that would have had to be dubbed into French (it's too obvious, Disney!) from English woulda rocked. >_>

It is not Fast Track, it is Test Track. It is not Orgasmic, it is Fantasmic. It is not Innovations, it is Innoventions. It is not Disney Zoo, it is Animal Kingdom. It is not Network Neighborhood, it is Global Neighborhood.