Strike!

This is a general discussion. If your topic doesn't fit anywhere else, put it here.
PirateJohn
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Re: Strike!

Post by PirateJohn » Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:26 am

pixiedust wrote:Regardless of if we strike or not.. please do me a favor. Respect your fellow cast members and their decisions. I am noticing a lot of disrespectful things being said in another online forum that only has people in my department on myspace.. about how horrible the people who are going to choose to work are.
Oh, I'll respect them. I never said I think that everything is all hunky-dory in the park and that we should all sing kumbaya.

I just hope they'll respect my need to put my own basic survival as my highest priority and show up to work despite a strike.

BirdMom
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by BirdMom » Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:45 am

John, obviously, you weren't around for the strike in '84. The park was polarized and bad blood remained for years. The union supplies you with a strike fund. Acapulco's was feeding people and Lillian Disney even came out and walked the picket line. No one can deny your need to support yourself, but I would suggest temp work elsewhere until everything is settled if the union decides to walk. After everything was all over in '84, the Inn Between had an invisible barrier between those who walked, those who went back before it was settled and those who crossed the lines. People who had been the best of friends only spoke to each other when necessary after the strike. Some cheesy people got promoted - got rewarded over better qualified people - because they were willing to betray their fellow cast members. If I remember correctly, you're kind of anti-union in your overall feelings. This is the time that people need to think of all their fellow workers in the trenches and stick together. If the membership walks together, the company must negotiate with you, and in the best of circumstances, give you all a decent contract. I've got a mortgage that has to be paid - I know it's hard. But I know I can always go stand behind a cash register at Macy's or have Kelly temps send me out on a secretarial job. I could probably manage to do warehouse work if it was down to that. Disney's not the only gig in town. They need to do better by ALL their cast members - not just the big wigs on top.

[font=Palatino Linotype]Veni, Vidi, Velcro...[/font] [font=Comic Sans MS]I came, I saw, I got stuck.[/font]

felinefan
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by felinefan » Wed Mar 08, 2006 2:26 am

Frankly, I don't think strikes or unions are a good idea. Birdmom has given the reasons why a strike is bad. I have seen what unions do, and some members of my family are former and current union members--and frankly, the unions screw their members over. I remember when I was living temporarily back East '95 to '98, when Caterpiller went on strike for a year and a half. Once there was this picture in the local paper of a striker who had just put in a whole week on the picket line, and upon getting her first strike paycheck, was holding her head in shock and grief over the amount--$88. She had house payments to make, bills to pay, and had just recently bought a Porsche. She had been making about $14/hr. before, had probably put in a full day's work every day on the line, for a measly $88--which she would have gotten for one day on the job. Knott's Berry Farm employees have been mulling over whether to form a union, but again I don't think it's such a good idea. Granted, when unions came into being, they did get things done,took on greedy industrialists (remember, this was before there was an income tax), and if you want a sample, Google "The Triangle Shirtwaist Factory Fire". Now the unions are corrupt, and some are no more than terrorist organizations. The Caterpiller plant that was struck for a year and a half that I mentioned earlier was shut down because the strike hit the company so hard that they had to shut the plant down to stay afloat. But think about the backlash a strike would generate--Disney, like Knott's, attracts people from all across the country and all around the world; some have been saving for years to come. If they come when you're on strike, what do you think the reaction will be? From what I've seen on this board, your bosses seem to be somewhat abusive of the privilege of being humans prone to error, but the management at Knott's is totally psychotic, just plain abusive, self-worshipping, brown-nosing cult leaders. Any members of this forum who have worked at Knott's can verify this. And those who say that when they go to Knott's and feel as if they're in a parallel dimension--you're right; it's "The Unfriendliest Place in the West--Especially to its Employees!" So many people are bailing out of Knott's, especially security, that the park is as good as dead. Those of you who haven't done so already, if you want the straight story, use Yahoo! to access http://www.kbfdrama.com to hear what it's like backstage at Knott's. Really shocking and disgusting--and don't forget to read the posts on the thread labeled "HORRIBLE Health Dept. Inspections". No wonder so many guests bring their own food! I once actually had a guest ask me where her family could get some "safe" food. Before I heard about the inspections, I simply told her to go to the sit-down restaurants, which are more likely to have salad bars (her definition of safe food). If I worked there now ( which I don't--job hunting now ), I'd have told any guest asking about the food to smuggle their own food in, or otherwise get their hand stamped, go to a nearby restaurant, and eat there before coming back. According to health department records, Knott's was once fined when a guest ate at the Chicken Dinner Restaurant, got sick, and complained to the health department. All I can say is, Walter and Cordelia must be spinning in their graves. Ditto the three of their four kids who have since joined them. There should be a sign out in front of Knott's as well as the eating places associated with the park--"Danger--Eat at Your Own Risk!" I saw on http://www.themeparkinsider.com that there was another accident on Perilous Plunge recently.

Alyssa3467
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by Alyssa3467 » Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:42 am

I've been actively considering applying for a job at Disneyland, although it sounds like my timing really sucks, given this news about a possible strike. Should I wait until the whole thing is settled? :confused:

Stduck
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by Stduck » Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:07 pm

Alyssa3467 wrote:I've been actively considering applying for a job at Disneyland, although it sounds like my timing really sucks, given this news about a possible strike. Should I wait until the whole thing is settled? :confused:
Well depends on the department. Attractions(Disneyland only) and Custodial have the condracts up soon. I am sure merchendise is this too. Foods was last year.

There is a lot of talk but for those people who are unsure talk to your shop steward. They can help sort things out.

There are plus sides and down sides to unions. The original reason for labor unions was to protect the worker from Big Business. Things have changed in the years. The union will give up things in a collective bargaining agreement in order to get other things and vice versa with the company. The next few weeks should be interesting.

:ducks: Look Duckies!
These are the rafts TO the island. Not AROUND, not OVER, not UNDER and not THROUGH. Thank you for riding T. Saywer's shuttle service please visit again.

Wizard69
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by Wizard69 » Wed Mar 08, 2006 7:51 pm

Polar33 wrote: But to be honest, most of the things that the company is demanding are the same things they got out of the Foods contract last year. It's the direction the company is headed in, there's not much that can be done about it and it's not like it couldn't be seen coming. At least they aren't forcing line scheduling on you guys. But I digress, I do hold out hope that you guys do fare better than Foods did, as it may help for our next negotiation in a few years. And weather you choose to strike, or choose to work, I wish both parties good luck.
They want to make us do line schedules.

Wizard69
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by Wizard69 » Wed Mar 08, 2006 7:53 pm

Stduck wrote:Well depends on the department. Attractions(Disneyland only) and Custodial have the condracts up soon. I am sure merchendise is this too. Foods was last year.
Attractions, Custodial and Stores contracts are all up the same day, March 15th.

cheshire
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by cheshire » Thu Mar 09, 2006 12:31 am

So I go out on disability and look what I miss. And I thought the off season was suppose to be quiet. It would be nice if we could get our call dependents back. I'm a CR with kids. So borderline with points right now. Good thing I'm off for a while. Good luck to all.

PirateJohn
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by PirateJohn » Thu Mar 09, 2006 12:49 am

BirdMom wrote:The union supplies you with a strike fund.
Not from what I hear...

Although I admit if it does, then I might reconsider my position. Otherwise, Disneyland to me is nothing more than what pays my bills until I get a criminalist position, so I simply don't see how striking benefits me. This may sound selfish to you, but when you have nothing, you have to think of yourself first. And it ain't easy for me to go work somewhere else when I am unavailable certain days because of school.
BirdMom wrote:If I remember correctly, you're kind of anti-union in your overall feelings. This is the time that people need to think of all their fellow workers in the trenches and stick together.
See, here's the thing for me... Not once yet has any of my union reps actually asked my opinion about any of this. Nor have they really gone out of their way actually to inform me of what's going on. I've had to get my information from Mice Age.

I find it very difficult to go out of my way to support a union action when, thus far, I really don't feel like the union is really representing me.

And, frankly, if people are going to egg my car because I actually need to show up to work to keep from becoming homeless, then I have to question whether that's the type of person that I'm really interested in supporting.

Wizard69
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by Wizard69 » Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:10 am

PirateJohn wrote:Not from what I hear...

Although I admit if it does, then I might reconsider my position. Otherwise, Disneyland to me is nothing more than what pays my bills until I get a criminalist position, so I simply don't see how striking benefits me. This may sound selfish to you, but when you have nothing, you have to think of yourself first. And it ain't easy for me to go work somewhere else when I am unavailable certain days because of school.

See, here's the thing for me... Not once yet has any of my union reps actually asked my opinion about any of this. Nor have they really gone out of their way actually to inform me of what's going on. I've had to get my information from Mice Age.

I find it very difficult to go out of my way to support a union action when, thus far, I really don't feel like the union is really representing me.

And, frankly, if people are going to egg my car because I actually need to show up to work to keep from becoming homeless, then I have to question whether that's the type of person that I'm really interested in supporting.
Just be warned that if you cross the picket line, not only will you piss of your fellow workers, most unions will blacklist you if you cross.

If you cross, you will find your car egged and TPed :) j/k