Guests Who Ruin Your Day...

Walt Disney World Resort Cast Members post your stupid guest tricks here. This forum is not for general Walt Disney World discussion. Please use the Break Room, for non stupid guest trick topics.
CPCadico27
Wide-eyed Newcomer
Wide-eyed Newcomer

Re: Guests Who Ruin Your Day...

Post by CPCadico27 » Tue Feb 28, 2006 11:09 pm

I am a CP and I have only been here for a month, but I have already seen what everyone is talking about.

I was at Buzz merge point and the ride kept having technical problems for about an hour. When Buzz has technical problems the ride can not move and the line backs up way out the door. When I was trained I was told that FP has precedence over standby and to let a lot more FP in when having problems like this. So, that is what I was doing and I would let in like 10 standby per 50 FP, besides the 16 FP to 4 standby. The people behind me in standby were getting very upset and decided to all start yell and screaming at me that I was being unfair.

I tried to let them know, in the most kindest way I was able to, that I was just following the rules. Well, this one lady decided to let me know exactly how she felt. She swore all the up one side of me and down the other. And then decided to take my name down and threaten to tell a manager on me, all while waving her finger.

I never did have any of my managers or coordinators talk to me, but that wasn;t the end of the night. The ride hadn't even been called 101 yet. That just wrapped up the night beautifuly. More people decided that the ride down was my fault and needed to take their frustrations out on me, while taking their fastpasses to come back.

Luckly one group of guests, I think they were college age, stooded up for me at the end. They saved me from probably attacking the last guest.

Attention Recruits! Please move all the way forward, without going past the yellow line, and towards the blue wall to make room for new recruits. You know what, it feels like I'm talking to a wall.

felinefan
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by felinefan » Wed Mar 01, 2006 1:20 am

When I worked at Knott's, you ran into mainly parents who acted more childish than their kids. And I got a couple of race-related incidents; once a black woman said I called a Latina stupid, then pretended that her daughter's purse had been left in one of the planes at Red Baron (I've posted this story elsewhere on this site); another time a Mexican woman insisted that I had pushed her little boy at Huff 'N' Puff as he was getting off, but in reality it was the other kids on the ride who, despite my repeated requests to stop pumping, kept on pumping their cars, which caused her son to get knocked down. My SL later asked what happened, I told them, and had to fill out an incident report. Later that same night, I was bumped to Red Baron, and that same woman and her son were there! I had to close the ride at the end of the day, and this woman asked me why Knott's wasn't open until midnight like Disneyland was. I said, 'Well, this isn't Disneyland." I mean, what else could I have said? Anyway, she says she didn't like my attitude and was going to complain. Next day, I get called into the Rides Office about it; I explained what went on, including the earlier incident. Then I had to write another incident report. That woman was out to get me just because I'm Caucasian, and she wasn't! Gee, lady, sorry if my race offends you, but I didn't exactly get to choose, you know what I mean? There's no such thing as a superior race, so get over it already! And legion among the guests who ruin your day are the ones who refuse to follow the rules of either the park or a particular ride (especially in Camp Snoopy) and think you make up the rules to annoy them/be mean/ restrict their freedom/fill in the blank. But as long as we are discussing people from differant places having differant ideas of what is acceptable social behavior, I always looked forward to when people from the U.K. or Australia came to Knott's, because they knew how to keep their kids in line! :D: One thing you forgot to include on the subject of people behaving in public is how they were raised. I used to run into so many people, parents especially, who felt that they had the "right" to do whatever they wanted, even if A.) their precious little darling doesn't make the height requirement, and the parent insists that the kid has "ridden this ride a thousand times before". When I would hear that, I would immediately think two things: one, this parent must not love their kid very much, because making us break the rules is child endangerment, and two, there's no way the average 4 year old could possibly have been on a ride "thousands " of times. B.) They feel they have to get their money's worth, so instead of going on the rides they qualify for more than once, they try to go on all the rides, regardless if they qualify to get on or not. I really think these people were raised to believe that they could do anything they put their minds to 1.assuming they HAVE a mind to begin with, and 2. it's a pity I never saw any of them walk on water :twisted: . But as I recall, during the late 70s and 80s, that's exactly what parenting "experts" were promoting, though actually the bit with not restricting oneself was really for handicapped kids, to help with mainstreaming. It's like when Clinton was elected President--everyone was so excited because he was a Baby Boomer, they were eager to see what effect his being a Boomer had on his ability to be President--and it wasn't long before everybody was saying, "He sucks!". As a Boomer myself, I was raised by a two parent family, the middle of five kids. We were taught how to act in public, work for what we wanted, etc.. Which is why I was so appalled at people's behavior at Knott's. One time at Huff'N'Puff, there was a long line of kids, and a couple of boys, obviously Italian (no hyphen) kept cutting in line to ride. When I told them to stop cutting in line, the parents said they weren't. I can't remember if I had an opportunity to educate them to the fact that here in America, it is customary to wait in line. I have a book titled "Gestures", which is intended for businesspeople traveling outside the U.S.. One section deals with line behavior in various countries, and it says that in Italy, there are no discernable lines--everybody just pushes each other until they get to the front. I think learning to recognize other cultures' ideas on what constitutes proper social behavior, and telling the relevant person that when in Rome do as the Romans do, would help clear the air.

hhsrat
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by hhsrat » Wed Mar 01, 2006 1:51 pm

holy atrociously long paragraph batman! ;)

Ansem
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by Ansem » Wed Mar 01, 2006 2:45 pm

CPCadico27 wrote:I am a CP and I have only been here for a month, but I have already seen what everyone is talking about.

Luckly one group of guests, I think they were college age, stooded up for me at the end. They saved me from probably attacking the last guest.

[sarcasm]Don't you just LOVE buzz merge point?!?!?[/sarcasm] BTW. Your signature is totally true. You are talking to a wall. No one is listening to us at all!!!!

tenprincess
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by tenprincess » Wed Mar 01, 2006 4:56 pm

Ansem wrote:[sarcasm]Don't you just LOVE buzz merge point?!?!?[/sarcasm] BTW. Your signature is totally true. You are talking to a wall. No one is listening to us at all!!!!
Merge is a dangerous place, there wasn't always a phone there, but after a few nasty guest situations they placed a phone there for saftey reasons. However, if you are feeling threatened you are well within your rights to call security and get a fellow cast member. Better being safe than sorry.

joanna71985
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by joanna71985 » Wed Mar 01, 2006 5:07 pm

[quote="hhsrat"]holy atrociously long paragraph batman! ]

Ha ha ha! That's great! :D:

[font="Comic Sans MS"]
I will be your guide for this magical journey into the movies. It's the perfect job for me, because I love movies! Is everybody ready? Great, because it's showtime. Ready when you are, CB!
[/font]

DLRFantasmic!Dan
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by DLRFantasmic!Dan » Thu Mar 02, 2006 11:08 am

Ansem wrote:[sarcasm]Don't you just LOVE buzz merge point?!?!?[/sarcasm] BTW. Your signature is totally true. You are talking to a wall. No one is listening to us at all!!!!
I now hate Buzz merge point with a passion!! That is where most of the drama happens!!
Main Streeter wrote:Good one! ]
Why do you call it that?
blvinmagic wrote:Hey, all New Englanders out there, I am not saying that people that come from New England are bad. I am a New Englander as well. I also have lived all over the country and in Europe and I can not only spot a New Yorker/New Englander (especially from Mass) from 50 feet but can spot an American as well while overseas. We are unique and have a unique culture. Have you ever felt people drove to slowly or were uncomfortably kind? If so, perhaps someone's culture clashed with yours. When people from different areas, or sub-cultures, get together the behavior displayed can be ruled as right or wrong based on individual belief systems. Basically we find some behavior insulting and rude while others would consider it to be normal. I know rude behavior can come from all over the world. I am just saying that we need to be mindful of Ethnocentrism or the way we judge other people's culture through the values and norms of our own. We just have to take this into consideration before we think people are being mean or rude. Perhaps it is normal behavior where they come from just like what we do with out thinking could be seen as rude to others.
I also heard in some cultures, some foreign men don't repsect their women and talk down to them. So, some female CMs got talked down to by these men with different culture backgrounds.

Attractions:
Rocket Scientist at "HISTA"/ Astro Orbitor,
Space Ranger at Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters

Fantasmic!
The POD
RDCT Fireworks
From June 28, 2003 To October 4, 2006 - Once A DL CM, Always A DL CM!

LostMalfoy
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by LostMalfoy » Fri Mar 03, 2006 12:47 am

Just one of these days, when I get a really annoying guest, I would like to say something along the lines of, "When you walk a day in my shoes, maybe you'll realize what kind of crap I get on a day to day basis; I don't need it from you too."

Some people are just flat out rude.

There was one day that I was working in a fairly busy location and we had a line reaching the door. I was working as fast as I could to help lessen the wait time, when I had a man stop me momentarily; he had been standing to my side, and I addressed him, thinking he had a question. He gave me a death glare, and said, "My little girl has been standing here for over ten minutes, and you ignored her, pulling other people first. Now, she's outside crying, I hope you're happy with yourself."

What am I supposed to say to something like that? We had made multiple announcements to the general public in the room, that there was one line right down the middle; it makes things easier when there are a million and a half people crowded into one space. I apologized, what else was there to do, and tried not to let it get to me, but that one man ruined my entire evening.

Another night, I had been stopped by a guest, and I had started helping him with something pin related. Unfortunately, I gave him the wrong information regarding something, he left my store location, but had to ultimately come back. I felt so sorry for him, but he was good natured about it. I helped him at the first available register I could find; big mistake, there was a rather substantial line in that room. I finish his transaction with a sincere apology and decide to stay where I am, calling for the next guest in line. It was a woman who glared at me and said, "I don't want you to help me. We were standing here, waiting, when you came up and helped that other man. I'll wait."

I stood there thinking, 'Fine, you could wait on a cast member who I know for a fact isn't as comfortable with a register, thereby taking longer, or I could help you here, and you'd be out in half the time...'

Sometimes, working at Disneyland makes me lose all hope for, or faith in, humanity.

~If you wanted the five dollar camera, you should have bought it at Target before you walked into the resort and ran out of film...~

DLRFantasmic!Dan
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by DLRFantasmic!Dan » Fri Mar 03, 2006 1:16 am

All I got to say that guests are way too impatient. They are always on the go!! They just want to wait at all!!

Attractions:
Rocket Scientist at "HISTA"/ Astro Orbitor,
Space Ranger at Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters

Fantasmic!
The POD
RDCT Fireworks
From June 28, 2003 To October 4, 2006 - Once A DL CM, Always A DL CM!

Main Streeter
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by Main Streeter » Fri Mar 03, 2006 5:59 am

LostMalfoy wrote:Some people are just flat out rude.
I stood there thinking, 'Fine, you could wait on a cast member who I know for a fact isn't as comfortable with a register, thereby taking longer, or I could help you here, and you'd be out in half the time..."
You know registers, returns & me well. :eek: Thanks for not inserting my name :turtlepwr :D:

"You work here? You must be SO rich!"

RESCUE A PET! [font="Arial Black"]Within the heart of every stray Lies the singular desire to be loved.[/font]