Stupid Comic Trick

A place to be entertained. Videos, jokes, games, and more.
Forum rules
At the old Disney Hyperion Studio, the screening room where animators would show animated scenes to Walt for his approval was small, with no ventilation or AC. Not only was it hot, but the animators were nervously awaiting Walt's reaction to their work. Thus, the room became known as the Sweatbox. Even after the Studio moved to Burbank and elegant screening rooms were offered to the staff, the moniker remained.

Now SGT has a sweatbox of our own. This is the place to find and post all entertaining topics such as video links, jokes, games, and the like. A general rule of thumb is that if the thread is meant to be informative (interesting news stories for example), or a topic for discussion (like setting up a park meet) then it should go in the Break Room, but if the intent is to entertain the masses then it's home is The Sweatbox. I'm sure there will be grey areas at times, so if you have doubt as to where a new thread should go, just use your best judgement and the SGT Staff will be glad to move it later if you guessed wrong.
BirdMom
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by BirdMom » Sun Aug 10, 2003 4:52 pm

oh my gosh!!! I've seen guests like that!!!

I remember walking from the Hub over towards the Tomorrowland entrance one day on my way to lunch just in time to see this little boy running towards the castle shouting "hey let's go on the teacups - they're right through the castle gate!!! I saw that on t.v.!!!"

Old Crow
Wide-eyed Newcomer
Wide-eyed Newcomer

Post by Old Crow » Sun Aug 10, 2003 8:16 pm

What most people do not realize is that Disneyland was a TV show before it was a theme park and that the park was to promote the show and vise versa.

SRC Photography - Photographs of Californa's Amusement Parks and more!
[font=Arial Black]"Dead men do not ride rollercoasters." -CSI[/font]

Morrigoon
Wide-eyed Newcomer
Wide-eyed Newcomer

Post by Morrigoon » Fri Aug 22, 2003 5:02 am

LOL. Close, but no cigar.

Basically, Walt had trouble getting the $$$ to build DL, so he made a deal with ABC that they would give him the money to build DL, but in exchange, he had to produce the tv show. The obvious side benefit of this was that it DID promote the park. But the park was not created to promote the tv show.

There are no stupid questions.... only stupid guests.

Dante101
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by Dante101 » Fri Aug 22, 2003 3:51 pm

Actually, the TV show was made to build the Park, which was built to sell lots of junk food and make people feel ill by spinning them around on wild rides. All of this in order to further the sales of Pepto Bismol, of which Walt owned a big chunk of... :roll:

tabacco
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by tabacco » Fri Aug 22, 2003 4:32 pm

Yep. In 1954, ABC made a deal with Walt. They would provide $500,000 in funding, as well as guaranteeing all of WED's loans. In exchange, they got 35% ownership in Disneyland, along with a percentage of (or it may have been all... I can't remember) the food concession profits for 10 years. On top of that, as part of the deal, Walt agreed to produce a weekly hour-long show for ABC named for his park-to-be. The show was basically designed to promote his new park like mad. If you think about it, it's probably one of the best marketing deals ever made. ABC basically paid Walt to promote his own park on their network for an hour a week.

Then, in 1960, Walt bought that 35% back from ABC for $7.5 million. Of course, much later down the road (1995), Disney ended up buying ABC up in its entirety for $19 billion.

mahaihai
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by mahaihai » Mon Aug 25, 2003 12:12 am

Brief yet informative very helpful Doug!!!

Guests are a lot like children, either they never listen or they think you are lying even when your not!!