"Get OFF MY RIVER!!!"

This is the place to tell us about the stupid things fellow employees can do.
BirdMom
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

"Get OFF MY RIVER!!!"

Post by BirdMom » Mon Aug 11, 2003 4:47 pm

Here's another old timer for ya...I'm sure West Siders remember Engineer Don...he used to delight in backing the Twain up on the canoes and rafts much to the terror of guests... :shock:

I got to work with Engineer Don once...for whatever reason (I think there was an emergency freeway closure) they sent me over from Tiki to go stand on the bow of the Twain and work as lookout until they got some more cast members clocked in. I looked like an idiot with my bright orange mumu and navy peacoat thrown over it, but I had fun. E.D. explained all the steam workings of the engine to me, which was actually rather interesting. He was a blast to be around. He offered to give my little nieces and nephews special tours of both the steam trains and wheelhouse-wish I'd taken him up on it before he was let go. According to Don C, I was unofficially the first chick to work a ride position on the Twain.

River rats who were friends said they loved it when E.D. backed the boat up on them shouting "get off my river!!!" because it relieved the monotony of multiple trips a day.

There was one day when I was on turnstyle over at bore band (bear band, snore band) talking to a canoe guy when Don went by in one of the steam trains - he leaned way out of the cab window shaking this huge wrench shouting "get off my river" at the top of his lungs to the river rat and the guy was like "oh yeah, he does that to us all the time..."

I heard Don ended up getting fired by someone with no sense of humor (who obviously hadn't worked their way up through the ranks either)... :o

Weeble
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by Weeble » Tue Aug 12, 2003 11:41 am

Can anyone fill us in on what Happened to Don? That guy was the embodiement of Disney, always patient with the guests and proud of his engines. Great attitude, funny guy. It's a shame, I am sure he wasn't too far from retirement either.

Man, when he wanted to race the canoes, he would let the engines on the Mark Twain CHURN. I mean, the ole lady would be shuddering with every crank of that wheel. Steam billowing out in a great WooOOOOOooooSHhhhh! from each vent.

Ahhhhh, sure feels good to be back on the river.

In other news, I had relations in the wheelhouse once while spieling to the guests. Good times.

Comedian and Writer
http://www.alfredmuller.com

BirdMom
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by BirdMom » Tue Aug 12, 2003 1:16 pm

Weeble wrote:In other news, I had relations in the wheelhouse once while spieling to the guests.
Adding to the impossibly rude question quotent...

So - during the crucial moment - is it true that Weebles wobble but they don't fall down??? :?: :roll:

wheelieman
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by wheelieman » Tue Aug 12, 2003 2:13 pm

I knew Don too. [okay, it sounds like "me too me too yip yip]. He was really patient with the guests, you guys are right. He took the time to explain to me how the Steam Engines worked, and he was really funny. I loved the way the Mark Twain would shudder when he really cranked that steam valve open! If it was going to be his break after this run, it was Haul Butt time, and you could see the wake off the BOW and feel every 2x12 hitting the water.

Im in California, Im in California! If you see me at Knott's, come up and say "Hi"!

^ Okay, the novelty has worn off.

Amateur Radio Call Sign KI6BVW

Weeble
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by Weeble » Tue Aug 12, 2003 5:23 pm

Basically I was ummm, visible to the guests from the waist up. I had wobble legs to be sure but proving true to my nature I did not falter or fall.

:pbjtime:

Comedian and Writer

dl_keelboater
Wide-eyed Newcomer
Wide-eyed Newcomer

Post by dl_keelboater » Wed Aug 13, 2003 12:26 am

Don was awesome. One part of my DL experience I will never forget. I spent so much time out on the river, and so many canoe trips trying to avoid the back end of the Twain. Of course, we would always try to get as close as possible without incurring injury or disciplinary warnings. Don was one of the reasons working the river was so much fun.

Keelboater
"I love the smell of the river in the morning!"

Zazu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: WDW
Position: retired

Post by Zazu » Wed Aug 13, 2003 11:16 am

Weeble bragged:
In other news, I had relations in the wheelhouse once while spieling to the guests.
Big deal. I once had relations on the back platform of the steam train in plain view of a whole carload of guests and all the guests standing on the station platforms.

It was my parents, two cousins from Canada, and my ne'er do well brother.

Zazu

Weeble
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by Weeble » Wed Aug 13, 2003 11:47 am

ZAZU!!! Keep it clean you perver--oh....wait....nevermind.

:pbjtime:

Comedian and Writer

BirdMom
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by BirdMom » Thu Aug 14, 2003 5:02 pm

wheelieman wrote:I loved the way the Mark Twain would shudder when he (Don) really cranked that steam valve open! If it was going to be his break after this run
hehehe...it probably was about to break apart...I'm sure the river rats can attest to how much dry rot affects the poor boats out there...during my entire term of employment there they took the Twain down to the frame twice to rebuild it...of course, if they'd spend more money and time on proper maintenance (not to mention going back to being closed Mondays and Tuesdays during the off season to give the poor attractions the mechanical break they need) certain sorts of problems wouldn't rear their ugly heads from time to time... :roll: