Sing with me!

Disneyland Resort Cast Members post your stupid guest tricks here. This forum is not for general Disneyland discussion. Please use the Break Room, for non stupid guest trick topics.
hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR
Department: Fruity Drink Land
Position: Mai Tai Face Plant

Re: Sing with me!

Post by hobie16 » Wed Mar 30, 2005 12:05 pm

lady ulrike wrote:It has been determined by fans that six times nine in base 13 is 42.
Thanks for digging the correct numbers up!!!

Don't be fooled by appearances. In Hawaii, some of the most powerful people look like bums and stuntmen.
--- Matt King

Stay low and run in a zigzag pattern.

BRWombat
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Department: Offsite Harmony
Position: Back Row Baritone

Post by BRWombat » Wed Mar 30, 2005 4:26 pm

hobie16 wrote:Thanks for digging the correct numbers up!!!
Not to throw a wrench into this discussion, but there are more than just the books -- Hitchhiker's Guide started as a BBC Radio series, and then the "trilogy" (of 5 books), and also a BBC TV series. No two have exactly the same plotline. I seem to recall the "6x9" question from the TV series, but I'm not sure about the radio series.

Yes, I am a total geek.

"This would be a great place if we could only get rid of all these people." - Walt Disney

Image Image
VocalMajority
Twitter

lady ulrike
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by lady ulrike » Thu Mar 31, 2005 11:11 am

Yeah, I know there are lots of versions, but the book is what was handy so I could look the information up. I'm pretty sure that this is one thing that would remain consistent. Maybe not though, I haven't watched/read/listened to every version of the Hitchiker's.

LegoDan
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by LegoDan » Thu Apr 14, 2005 7:04 pm

I did not listen to the radio version yet but i believe that they were all consistent with the 6 x 9 = 42. The tv show was a combination of the first three books i think. ( the tv show was very odd and only lasted like a week). Don't forget your towel and if the planet's about to be destroyed stick out your thumb and beware of vogan (i think that's how it's spell) poetry. I hear it is the 3rd worst poetry in the universe. Oh, and beware of Kricket.

"Some days it takes all you've got just to keep up with the losers."

BRWombat
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by BRWombat » Fri Apr 15, 2005 9:58 am

LegoDan wrote:I did not listen to the radio version yet but i believe that they were all consistent with the 6 x 9 = 42. The tv show was a combination of the first three books i think. ( the tv show was very odd and only lasted like a week). Don't forget your towel and if the planet's about to be destroyed stick out your thumb and beware of vogan (i think that's how it's spell) poetry. I hear it is the 3rd worst poetry in the universe. Oh, and beware of Kricket.
The TV series was very odd! It had six 30-minute installments. I used to have them on videotape, recorded in the wee hours of the morning off of PBS. It was tremendously low-budget and looked it, but that also gave it a kind of charm -- so much so that I'm having trouble processing the slick hi-tech look of the upcoming HGTTG movie!

We're way OT now, but has anyone heard whether the new movie will be any good? They have some fairly unusual casting choices, and it's being marketed like an adventure film rather than a comedy.

"This would be a great place if we could only get rid of all these people." - Walt Disney

Image Image
VocalMajority
Twitter

lady ulrike
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Hg2g

Post by lady ulrike » Fri Apr 15, 2005 10:06 am

I read one really bad review which basically said it's not even recognizable from the other formats, but pretty much every other review I've seen has said it was good and this was from both fans and non-fans. Of course all the reviews said they were watching unfinished material, it was at screenings and such. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

screnwriter
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by screnwriter » Fri Apr 15, 2005 2:34 pm

lady ulrike wrote:All right, I'm not LegoDan but I just finished the books, literally 2 days ago (the movie's coming out, I had to reread it) and I looked it up just to be sure.
It's in the next to the last chapter of the Restaurant at the End of the Universe and the letters spelled "What do you get when you multiply six by nine"
It has been determined by fans that six times nine in base 13 is 42.

Ok, now you all know for sure I'm a nerd. You may have suspected it before, now you know.
Every now and then, a guest when I asked, "Do you have any questions I might answer?" Would pipe up with, "What's the answer to life, the universe, and everything."

Knowing the answer was like doing Monty Python and the Holy Grail lines with them. The only kind of lines we're allowed to do with the guests anyway.

When you are 42, it's cool to tell people who ask your age, "When you know the answer to life, the universe, and everything - you'll know how old I am."

Belgium!

:eek:

BRWombat
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by BRWombat » Sun Apr 17, 2005 4:05 pm

screnwriter wrote:Every now and then, a guest when I asked, "Do you have any questions I might answer?" Would pipe up with, "What's the answer to life, the universe, and everything."

Knowing the answer was like doing Monty Python and the Holy Grail lines with them. The only kind of lines we're allowed to do with the guests anyway.

When you are 42, it's cool to tell people who ask your age, "When you know the answer to life, the universe, and everything - you'll know how old I am."

Belgium!

:eek:
I would think knowing MP lines would be a benefit as a CM. If any guest gets abusive, you can just yell, "Help! Help! I'm being repressed!" :)

("Lemon curry?")

Image Image
VocalMajority
Twitter

PirateJohn
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by PirateJohn » Mon Apr 18, 2005 1:16 am

The Ultimate Question is mentioned twice in the third book of the series, Life, the Universe, and Everything. The question is, "pick a number. Any number."

Marvin, in The Restaurant at the End of the Universe says he can read the question in Arthur's brain. At the beginning of Life, the Universe, and Everything he is talking with the mattress about how smart he is. He tells the mattress, "pick a number. Any number." The mattress responds with "nine." Marvin says, "wrong."

At the end of the book, Arthur is talking to Eddie and says he wishes he knew the question. Eddie replies, "pick a number. Any number."

LegoDan
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by LegoDan » Tue Apr 19, 2005 7:34 pm

I seem to remember someone saying, in the book, that it was impossible to know the answer and the question at the same time. And that as soon as you knew one the other would change. *whistles the star spangled banner while jumping through a hoop*

"Some days it takes all you've got just to keep up with the losers."