Why the rush at Splash Mountain?

This is the place to tell us about the stupid things fellow employees can do.
felinefan
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Re: Why the rush at Splash Mountain?

Post by felinefan » Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:25 pm

At Knoot's, while working Charlie Brown Speedway, at least a few times after buckling a kid in, during the ride said kid would unbuckle the seatbelt, and rebuckle it behind them, sitting on the belt. How they did that without my seeing them I don't know. But then, I had 6 spinning cars to watch....

Freak
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by Freak » Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:13 am

Teddykeiko86 wrote:sarcasm warning-

Management there thought it was imperative to clap and wave at the train as it entered and exited the station. It was more important then checking for undone OTSR straps or guests barging through an exit gate into the station as the train is moving. It was also imperative that we high five every single guest we see. Forget germs, this was important. This showed we are friendly. This lead to dumb dumb CMs high fiving guests while the train was moving. Super Dangerous, and the idiot sups encouraged it! On top of that, we had to get guests "pumped" up by the BS "are you ready to ride?" "I can't hear you!" nonsense. Wait it gets better. It was also expected that you sing the birthday song every time a birthday guest came on the ride. This was the one time it was acceptable to slow or delay dispatch. Because everyone in the station wants to hear the birthday song sung off key every ten minutes.
Well, I won't say anything but I'm sure I know where you worked. Interesting that your park AND Knott's required ROs to clap when the train came into the station. KBF started playing around with wireless headset systems for certain attractions. They also suggested things to get guests pumped up to ride the coaster, and they wanted us to tell people happy birthday over the PA, but not sing it. They had us high five guests as they exited as well. Interesting indeed. People tried high-fiving each other on Xcelerator during launch. Can't imagine THAT felt good...

As Feline said, Railroad was pushed to get more trains per hour. Its hard though, not only for what Feline mentioned but also because you had THREE different departments operating this attraction. Ride Maintenance (actual operation of the locomotive), Ride Operations (loading/unloading of guests, etc), and Entertainment (Bandits). All three departments don't have the same break time. So we sort of had to get in a "groove" for sending the train so that everyone could get to their lunches on time without hitting violation. Can get really tricky sometimes. I don't think I ever hit 5 trains in an hour. When I worked there, they wanted the trains sent on the :15's. (x:15, x:30, x:45, x:00) Still sorta tricky. Not sure I ever hit it, but I tried my best. I wasn't often @ Railroad, I was enjoying my time up at the mountain @ Mine Ride.

And as for GhostRider, the idea of running 3 trains for Haunt was played with one year if I remember right. Someone was pushing for it HARD. The only problems was the fact that 1) Train 3 was in parts for rehab and 2) the braking system wasn't able to handle it if I remember right, for reasons mentioned. The trains would be stacking too often anyways. Especially now that the train is almost completely stopped on the B-Block Mid-Course Brake (think its B Block...little rusty on my zones there)

RIP Bud Hurlbut.

You will be missed.

CBeilby
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by CBeilby » Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:29 am

Freak wrote:Well, I won't say anything but I'm sure I know where you worked. Interesting that your park AND Knott's required ROs to clap when the train came into the station. KBF started playing around with wireless headset systems for certain attractions. They also suggested things to get guests pumped up to ride the coaster, and they wanted us to tell people happy birthday over the PA, but not sing it. They had us high five guests as they exited as well. Interesting indeed. People tried high-fiving each other on Xcelerator during launch. Can't imagine THAT felt good...
Sounds like typical stupid Cedar Fair crap. I used to work Fiesta Village, so witnessed my share of Zoom and Jaguar dispatches, and never once did they have the ride crews do any of this idiocy. Likewise Boomerang (you could just about break someone's arm off if you tried to hi-5 them on the train coming through the station on any of those coasters.)

For Randy, For Bonny, For Chris...

shilohmm
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by shilohmm » Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:29 pm

Darksin wrote: It could be faked. I've never heard of it happening and I still talk to a few people working Ride Ops in that area and trust me, they gossip like old ladies.
It looks faked to me because he rises so smoothly. Or something. The rhythm just doesn't feel right. And isn't it too light? I've heard that the California and Florida rides are different, but aren't they both dark except for one rise to the top where you look out? Even with multiple rises to the very top followed by a drop, seems like it's too well lit to me.