Why the rush at Splash Mountain?

This is the place to tell us about the stupid things fellow employees can do.
Spideyfreak
Wide-eyed Newcomer
Wide-eyed Newcomer

Re: Why the rush at Splash Mountain?

Post by Spideyfreak » Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:40 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NsUWLqB68No

Is there really any excuse for this?

mattdbower
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler
Park: WDW
Department: Transportation
Position: Watercraft Operator

Post by mattdbower » Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:43 pm

Spideyfreak wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NsUWLqB68No

Is there really any excuse for this?
No. No, there is not.

Big Wallaby
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by Big Wallaby » Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:50 pm

I think it's faked.

My opinions are mine and mine only. If my opinions are the opinion of others who happen to share whatever my crazy views may be, then fine, but it's not because I represent them in having my opinions. Got it?

felinefan
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by felinefan » Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:59 pm

I remember when KBFDrama was online, somebody said managment was pushing the ROs at Ghost Rider to or another ride to dispatch more often. Well, yeah, if they wanted an air bladder to rupture, sure. I remember they wanted us on Calico Railroad to have five trains per hour--that wasn't possible. The ride is like ten minutes, it takes ten to fifteen minutes to load guests, five minutes to do the walk-through, then the safety spiel, pull the whistle to dispatch, then at the end of the ride it takes at least another ten minutes to get the guests off. Add another five to ten minutes to load and unload if there's a wheelchair on board. You'd be lucky to get three cycles an hour. I told them that, and they backed off. Which leads to an interesting question--which park has the dumbest managment, Knott's/Cedar Fair or Disney? My money's on Knott's.

kurtisnelson
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here
Park: WDPR
Department: Industrial Engineeri
Position: Former

Post by kurtisnelson » Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:11 pm

Big Wallaby wrote:I think it's faked.
What most people don't realize is that on ToT, there are cameras looking straight into vehicles for the entire ride (except one segment) and TWO cast members watching them at all times. So the second someone was seen floating in the air, the e-stop would have been hit.

Kurt

mattdbower
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by mattdbower » Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:41 pm

According to the video, the e-stop was hit.

Spideyfreak
Wide-eyed Newcomer
Wide-eyed Newcomer

Post by Spideyfreak » Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:19 pm

I don't thinki E-stop was hit, but it was just a ride stop instead. But you can hear TJ on the PA near the end yelling at them.

I honestly can't see how it's faked...

Teddykeiko86
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by Teddykeiko86 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:21 pm

felinefan wrote:I remember when KBFDrama was online, somebody said managment was pushing the ROs at Ghost Rider to or another ride to dispatch more often. Well, yeah, if they wanted an air bladder to rupture, sure. I remember they wanted us on Calico Railroad to have five trains per hour--that wasn't possible. The ride is like ten minutes, it takes ten to fifteen minutes to load guests, five minutes to do the walk-through, then the safety spiel, pull the whistle to dispatch, then at the end of the ride it takes at least another ten minutes to get the guests off. Add another five to ten minutes to load and unload if there's a wheelchair on board. You'd be lucky to get three cycles an hour. I told them that, and they backed off. Which leads to an interesting question--which park has the dumbest managment, Knott's/Cedar Fair or Disney? My money's on Knott's.
sarcasm warning-

My vote is on *** *****. For fear of being sued by my former employer censored the name. I'll give you a hint, bankruptcy, ahem. Anyway. Management there thought it was imperative to clap and wave at the train as it entered and exited the station. It was more important then checking for undone OTSR straps or guests barging through an exit gate into the station as the train is moving. Yup. It was also imperative that we high five every single guest we see. Forget germs, this was important. This showed we are friendly. This lead to dumb dumb CMs high fiving guests while the train was moving. Super Dangerous, and the idiot sups encouraged it! On top of that, we had to get guests "pumped" up by the BS "are you ready to ride?" "I can't hear you!" nonsense. Wait it gets better. It was also expected that you sing the birthday song every time a birthday guest came on the ride. This was the one time it was acceptable to slow or delay dispatch. Because everyone in the station wants to hear the birthday song sung off key every ten minutes. Not to mention during audits, if you didn't sing, clap, wave and high five you got a lower score, if you got enough low scores it was off to the unemployment line for you. I bid farewell to rides about 2 months into this nonsense.

Darksin
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by Darksin » Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:26 am

Big Wallaby wrote:I think it's faked.
Technically with the newest system you shouldn't have to do a visible check, the lights should only pop on and allow dispatch with them all being connected. That was one big gripe with those of us who worked ToT before the newest update, which was promised to us. It was a pain in the ass back then as well slowed load times. People would always try to unbuckle the lap belts which slowed loading to crawl and E-stopped the ride constantly. Plus many people have a FIT if you reach for their laps or their kids laps to do a physical "yank check" on a belt. Remember, we're sue happy in this country.

It could be faked. I've never heard of it happening and I still talk to a few people working Ride Ops in that area and trust me, they gossip like old ladies.

Also the odds are pretty good this person could be a CM, they know how to beat the system on these rides and have the friends there to "overlook" it.

Just some Info:
With the new ride system (Circa 2001), the seat belts can't be unfastened from the inside by guests. To release them, a CM has to release them from outside the ride car. In order to get out of them one has to have left it loose enough to wiggle free without the on-board camera catching them and Control hitting an E-stop, to even get one off during the ride if it somehow broke or the guest broke it would cause the whole damn system to go into a complete E-stop.
However you can't ride-stop ToT during a drop cycle, it has to stop at the bottom or the top. After that it can be manually maneuvered from control or by maintenance to a position for emergency unload. At least with the system it had in place when I was bouncing around Ride Ops in Area 3.

Either way, IDIOT.
Those ride cars, yeah I would NOT want to test my luck bouncing off the walls of them during a drop. I know what their made from. :eek:

[font="Arial Narrow"]~*Crazy Girls have all the Fun*~[/font]
Theme Park News and Tales of Crazy-The Blog!

mattdbower
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by mattdbower » Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:15 am

Darksin wrote:Technically with the newest system you shouldn't have to do a visible check, the lights should only pop on and allow dispatch with them all being connected.
kurtisnelson mentioned fastening the belt and then sitting on top of it, and it appears that this is what was done here.