50 Minutes for a Protein Spill? How 'bout 2 hours for trash cans?

This is the place to tell us about the stupid things fellow employees can do.
felinefan
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Re: 50 Minutes for a Protein Spill? How 'bout 2 hours for trash cans?

Post by felinefan » Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:12 pm

During the last year I was working at Knott's, it became increasingly harder to get the stuff, actually cat litter, we used to clean up with. Same thing with trash cans, picker-uppers, anything that kept our areas clean. We usually cleaned our own messes, and on some rides we were responsible for changing the garbage bags when the trash started piling up, but for some reason it got harder to get the stuff we needed. Most likely management was keeping it from us because it cost them too much--read it cut into their profits. It was horrible, trying to clean up when guests complained about how bad it was, and calling for more paper towels, litter, etc., and our supervisors making false promises--"We'll get it to you"--and it never coming, or when it came it was hours later or not enough to do the job. And I had at least one shift leader who thought it was funny how I always complained about the lack of cleaning supplies.

I hope he gets run over by the trains on Mine Ride--don't want the Calico Train getting derailed rolling over his fat carcass. Mine Ride is literally falling to pieces.

Teddykeiko86
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by Teddykeiko86 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:52 pm

Awww... we get to clean it up ourselves!

Absorbent if it is on the ground, hose if it is on a train (ride is outside), and in the event neither is available and you have a long line guess what? Gloves and paper towels! Except on the rides with sensors that can be effected by excess water. Then you do the towels, gloves, clorox thing.

It is that or extensive down time waiting for custodial. Cleaning up vomit on your hands and knees in front of Guests makes you look special and they respect you for the next five minutes. That is the only good part.

Some people won't do the paper towel thing, others just do it to avoid down time. You get used to it. Sadly.

5th Dimension
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by 5th Dimension » Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:19 pm

I've seen the good and the bad. In AK, I remember a custodial guy whose reputation was that he would stay backstage all day and not do a thing. Supposedly managers knew about it and did nothing. He was a CP and long gone now though. I remember standing around in my position, and not seeing a custodial person for literally hours. Cups stayed on an outdoor table the whole time, and the place was like a ghost town. There was really no excuse to take this long. Finally I walked over and threw them away.

In my attraction now, someone usually shows up in just a few minutes for a code v (or "code p" as I have named them, yes, I've seen two of those indoors). Those few minutes feel like forever when it smells like hell and there are tons of people around, when the guy arrives, it's a sigh of relief. Certainly the hero in this case.

Main Streeter
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by Main Streeter » Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:31 pm

5th Dimension wrote:I remember a custodial guy whose reputation was that he would stay backstage all day and not do a thing.
How funny 5th. :D: You are describing Main Street Rose @ DL. ;)

"You work here? You must be SO rich!"

RESCUE A PET! [font="Arial Black"]Within the heart of every stray Lies the singular desire to be loved.[/font]

Darksin
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by Darksin » Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:36 am

How Protein Spills worked at SWO.
(Back in the day)

Lead: We got a protein spill in front of the slides at Happy Harbor, who's cleaning it up?
Worker 1: NOT IT!
Worker 2,3,5: NOT IT!
Worker 4: Not Trained so Not It!
Worker 6 who was not paying attention: Aw fuck! Again? Damn barfy kids.. *Muttermuttergrumblegumble*

Now I can only image this is the exact same thing that goes on in every gathering place when a "Barf Bucket" call comes up. Cause lets be honest, even if it is your job.. do you really want to do it? Hell No, No one WANTS to do that (And if they do they probably need to see the men with the butterfly nets).

Trashcans? Not that big of a deal, it would take 2 hours in the summer to trash with two people per a single area. We never minded it, it made the day go faster and got you out of the tedious duty of cleaning something even more frustrating! Plus look at it this way, No one bothers someone hauling around a giant and slightly leaky bag of trash! Accidents happen you know!
We had custodial but they cleaned the bathrooms and eating areas mostly, each area did their own trash and clean ups. So basically when the damn things got full, you just rearranged things to get it done.

:D:

security officer
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by security officer » Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:18 am

idk if bussing at wdw is still under custidual but dlr when i was there bussing handle code v in our area

If you run, you'll only go to jail tired.

CptnSkippy
Regular Guest
Regular Guest
Department: F&B

Post by CptnSkippy » Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:50 pm

security officer wrote:idk if bussing at wdw is still under custidual but dlr when i was there bussing handle code v in our area
Bussing is under Food and Beverage and (at least in quick serve) we didn't handle protein spills.

Parties of 33 should consider dividing their parties into two groups of 16 and a half each.

security officer
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by security officer » Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:32 pm

CptnSkippy wrote:Bussing is under Food and Beverage and (at least in quick serve) we didn't handle protein spills.
woow the differnet in the two resorts
bussing at dlr
#1 trash cans
#2 tables
#3 trash
#4 interact with guest
#5 code vs as needed

If you run, you'll only go to jail tired.

joanna71985
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by joanna71985 » Sun Apr 24, 2011 5:22 pm

CptnSkippy wrote:Bussing is under Food and Beverage and (at least in quick serve) we didn't handle protein spills.
It depends on the area. When I was at Casey's Corner, bussing was handled by Custodial. Also, when I was in Custodial, we took care of bussing Germany and the tables in the Africa location

[font="Comic Sans MS"]
I will be your guide for this magical journey into the movies. It's the perfect job for me, because I love movies! Is everybody ready? Great, because it's showtime. Ready when you are, CB!
[/font]

angelicaleah31
Wide-eyed Newcomer
Wide-eyed Newcomer
Position: Custodial

Re: 50 Minutes for a Protein Spill? How 'bout 2 hours for tr

Post by angelicaleah31 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:32 pm

ok i know this is super old but i couldnt help responding to this
i was a CP just last year as custodial, at a value resort. i know resorts are not the same as parks, so take my info with a grain of salt and know that of course every persons experience is completely different. id rather not name any names or even which resort i was at. i dont think its important and id just rather not say
so at my resort its pretty chill, especially for custodial. the only pain at my location were the other CMs that i dealt with.
some main reasons why i would hide in the closet or take a nap in the break room or sit in a stall for 20 minutes or drive around in a pargo for a half hour:
1. in most of our areas, there is literally nothing to do. some areas will only have 5 people at the most until after they come back from the parks later in the night. i know this is totally different from the parks, but even at night once they are there, i only make my rounds about 3 times at the most for a 8 hour shift. sure i can wipe down the stall doors every half hour and shine the towel despensers, but no one uses the bathroom anyway. ill just walk around and sweep rocks and seashells all day long
2. if im in the main building, its a different story. i would walk out of the womens bathroom for 20 seconds to grab another roll of toilet paper and when i came back the whole place would be a wreck. so in certain areas some people feel like they cant leave their tiny area, even though they also have to collect the front desk trash and the office trash and do the cast restrooms
3. CMs (atleast in my area) are more disgusting than the guests! this irritated me to no end. i understand if you want to take a 10 minute break and sit on the toilet on your phone, but dont ruin the whole bathroom in the process! it never fails, they rip out a handful of seat covers so they can sit down and then either clog up the toilet with them or stuff the sanitary trash with them so nothing else can fit in there. if youre going to be lazy i dont care, but dont act like a SG, throw them out in the giant trash can next to the sink. common sense.
4. my managers were complete A-holes. one called a custodial because there was a bit of water on the sink and acted like they abandoned their post and let the area get filthy. the managers use those radios just to show how much they are on them yelling at people because they think it will make them look good.
5. this goes off of #4. the managers, and some other CMs treat custodials like garbage. some of those custodials have more experience than the managers do! they constantly talk down to us like they know better. they cant even do our job, and some of them doing even know what the chemicals are for. one day our managers told us to 'keep our heads down and do your job. youre not here to dance, youre not here to sing, youre here to empty the trash and keep the area clean just do your job and keep your heads down.' and that is a quote
there was another one where i was personally called to clean up three different spills at once and the coordinator tried calling me every three minutes for an update. sorry but if i have gloves on and im cleaning up god knows what, im not touching my radio to talk to you. and then of course i get called out over the radio because im not responding. 'well theres another dead end' she says.
and for a whole week i was limping on my feet and using my trashcan pretty much as a walker and they wouldnt send me home. finally my legs gave out and i had to go to the doctors.
im sure there is something that im missing but i cant think of anything else right now
i cant speak for the custodial in the parks, but i have heard that there can be no 'clumping' over there. like no custodial should be next to another custodial, even if someone is asking a question of how to do something or where to find something. apparently you get yelled at for that.
most of the older CMs definitely slack off and i dont blame them. we clean up poop and vomit and blood and they come in ways that you dont even want to know of. then we not only get denied praise, but we still get treated like garbage. and not only that but after working there for over 15 years some of them barely get paid over minimum wage. i dont blame them one bit