50 Minutes for a Protein Spill? How 'bout 2 hours for trash cans?

This is the place to tell us about the stupid things fellow employees can do.
joanna71985
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Re: 50 Minutes for a Protein Spill? How 'bout 2 hours for trash cans?

Post by joanna71985 » Fri Aug 17, 2007 3:07 pm

CBeilby wrote:Out here on the left coast, only Leads, Esplanade, and Parking Structure get radios in Disneyland. Not sure about DCA.
Really? At Epcot just about everyone had a radio in WS. Don't know if that's a good or bad thing. ;)

[font="Comic Sans MS"]
I will be your guide for this magical journey into the movies. It's the perfect job for me, because I love movies! Is everybody ready? Great, because it's showtime. Ready when you are, CB!
[/font]

Cranbiz
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by Cranbiz » Sat Aug 18, 2007 4:02 am

leftcoaster wrote:I guess it would be a little difficult to call and tell someone that your bus is on fire, eh?

Yup, it would be. What they want is us to use our cell phone to call it in. You know, the one that we are not susposed to have while in costume on stage. :confused:

No longer the Wearer of Purple Pants

No longer a General in the Bolivian Army!

"The views and opinions expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily represent or reflect those of The Walt Disney Company."

Big Wallaby
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by Big Wallaby » Sat Aug 18, 2007 11:41 am

leftcoaster wrote:I guess it would be a little difficult to call and tell someone that your bus is on fire, eh?
At that point, I would hope another bus driver sees me, since I often don't take my phone with me. That, or I would have to stay on this burning bus to use the freaking radio... and I know that buses go up very quickly. A 45' MCI can be completely engulfed in about six minutes. Not pretty.

Yeah, I've often thought strapping the radios into the bus is a safety hazard. If you get a medical thing where it's best to stay by the patient's side and you have to keep running back to the bus, or have a fire, or any other situation like that and those straps become an awful thing (not to mention I've cut myself on them a couple times now).

The best part? If we were to do something to disconnect the radio, we would get a reprimand. They are now there as part of the MiMs (gag).

My opinions are mine and mine only. If my opinions are the opinion of others who happen to share whatever my crazy views may be, then fine, but it's not because I represent them in having my opinions. Got it?

drcorey
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by drcorey » Sat Aug 18, 2007 6:57 pm

if a person drinks and eats a lot before they go on a ride,
would that be called a protien shake?

mechurchlady
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by mechurchlady » Sat Aug 18, 2007 8:57 pm

Depends on what they eat.
There is tossed salad and eating a big steak before a ride results in a protein shake. Cookie tossing is a possibilty but I am a lady so I decorate the bushes instead of heaving.

SlantedCastle
Wide-eyed Newcomer
Wide-eyed Newcomer

Post by SlantedCastle » Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:26 am

Oh man, don't get me started on the lack of custodial efforts I see, or do not see, around Disney World. I used to work around the hub a lot and would work three to four hours at a time without ever seeing one custodial CM walk by to sweep up loose trash.

I work mostly at Epcot now where I will work 2 hours in one spot, notice trash on the ground somewhere, go on break, pick up another location, walk by my original location an hour later and still see the same dang piece of trash in the same spot. Now usually I am good about picking it up myself, but in this case I was curious to see how long it would remain there.

I once witness a custodial CM in a break room napping. 2 hours later, yep you guessed it, still there! This after I am busting my butt on stage providing the "magical guest experience". What what gives him the right to slack when everybody else is working. And where is management to hold the CM accountable?

After one of the 04 hurricanes, I was actually called in to work my one and only custodial shift I will ever work at Disney. I was assigned to Main Street. I showed up not knowing anybody or what to do. It took about an hour to figure out my wardrobe and find somebody to tell me what my responsibilities were. I was told, oh just go up and sweep up loose trash. Nothing else, like this is when you take your break or anything essential to custodial responsibilites. I spent hours up there without seeing anybody on the management team. I had that street so clean that there was nothing for me to do!

So is there a lack of management to the custodial staff? Or are the custodial CMs just not being happy about their responsibilities that they just don't want to do their job? I gotta admit that I would not be happy to clean bathrooms or empty trashcans either but I am a firm believer that if you are hired to do certain responsibilities then you should do them, and yes with the Disney attitude because that is also part of your responsibilities as a CM. Every CM!

KBFRideOperator
Wide-eyed Newcomer
Wide-eyed Newcomer

Post by KBFRideOperator » Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:05 pm

SlantedCastle wrote:So is there a lack of management to the custodial staff? Or are the custodial CMs just not being happy about their responsibilities that they just don't want to do their job? I gotta admit that I would not be happy to clean bathrooms or empty trashcans either but I am a firm believer that if you are hired to do certain responsibilities then you should do them, and yes with the Disney attitude because that is also part of your responsibilities as a CM. Every CM!
Not sure what to say to that, but as a DCA Day Custodial Cast Member, OUR management and Leads made SURE you were doing your 15-minute walks (covering your ENTIRE sweeping area every 15 minutes, giving yourself time to cover any spills, codes, etc, of course). I was perfectly happy dealing with everything I was handed as a Custodial CM, but as you guys know, not everyone gets hired into the department that's right for them.

That's why the Mouse created TRANSFERS!! : D

igotodisneytoomuch
Wide-eyed Newcomer
Wide-eyed Newcomer

Post by igotodisneytoomuch » Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:53 am

This thread is grossly reminding me of the 2 protein spills I had to encounter during our October 2008 trip.

Walking off of Dinosaur, I walked RIGHT into spilled protein, it was DISGUSTING!!! There was a CM right there too so idk if they had just responded to it or just noticed it as maybe it was the person who go out right before me. I really wish I had a heads up if the CM knew about it though... I am guessing they didn't.

Another one was on our way to Hollywood Studios on a bus from WL. We woke up, very tired since we had gone to MNSSHP that night and there was a little boy (I'd say 6 or 7) and who I am guessing is his mother sitting right next to us. Both of us didn't notice anything since we were still tired until the bus suddenly stopped and the boy and mother got out... he protein spilled all over the bushes!!! Yuck yuck yuck but I am sincerely glad that boy noticed he was about to protein spill because it may have been all over me.

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR
Department: Fruity Drink Land
Position: Mai Tai Face Plant

Post by hobie16 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:36 am

Years ago the family did a snorkel trip out to Molokini. Coming back the wind had picked up and we were taking it on the nose so the ride was pretty rough. My wife and older daughter had already repaired to the stern for chumming.

My two year-old daughter was sitting in my lap. She started to complain about her teeth hurting. Teeth hurting, teeth hurting? I'm wracking my brain trying to figure out what could cause that when she suddenly blew chow and hit the foot of the woman sitting across from us. Luckily we were taking enough water on board that she was able to clean her foot off easily and I was able to clean the deck.

What a ride!

Don't be fooled by appearances. In Hawaii, some of the most powerful people look like bums and stuntmen.
--- Matt King

Stay low and run in a zigzag pattern.

EeyoresButterfly
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by EeyoresButterfly » Sun Jul 26, 2009 3:14 am

I still remember the day in Snow White when a kid puked right in front of the car. We Vobaned it, but of course the guests stepped in it despite our repeated warnings not to. It took at least 30 minutes for the custodial to come. We called mutliple times. We had to keep calling him back because he wasn't getting it all.

I had a friend (in custodial) tell me that some custodians play this game called "find the custodian" where they "accidentally" turn off their radios so they can't respond to protein spills. I am not saying this is all of them. Like yo usaid, we had some awesome custodians in Fantasyland. But it only takes a few to give the whole department a bad reputation.

ETA: I am so grateful that at my new park we can clean it up ourselves. It saves us a lot of time and hassle.

Petite and Proud!