Stupid Security

This is the place to tell us about the stupid things fellow employees can do.
bingie
Wide-eyed Newcomer
Wide-eyed Newcomer

Stupid Security

Post by bingie » Sat Jun 23, 2007 2:39 am

I don't think i have ever been treated this badly before so it made me want to post.

Tonight, two friends and I went to see a late movie at the AMC in DTD. Since my ride wasn't coming for 40 mins, we sat on a bench and chatted. After that became boring we started to head out and as we are passing the Magnetron store, we decided to "draw" in the condensation on the windows. This is when the "trouble" began...

Disney Security CM (DS): "Why are you trying to break into the Magnet Store"
Me: :eek: "Huh? I wasn't"
DS: "Yes you were! I saw you pulling on the handles"
Me: "No, I was drawing pictures in the condensation"
DS: "No - now move along or you can continue this with Orange County"
Me: "Ok - I'd like to continue it with Orange County"
DS: "Sir, please leave"

The rest of the conversation at this point becomes cloudy as I was getting pissed off. So on the way out I approached another security guard and asked for the duty manager, who he paged.

While we waited for the manager to show up, I replayed the situation to this security guard, who told me:

DS2: "Well, at this time of night we are really tired and..."
Me: "What? If I was a guest who paid $10000 to come here on vacation and was talked to like that, I would be pissed. In fact, I am a guest (as i used nothing from my disney employment benifits tonight) and being treated like that is uncalled for"

After waiting twenty minutes for the manager we decided to leave, as its really late.

So give me your thoughts? I find it concerning that a security guard would accuse a guest of breaking into a store - and treat me as if I was a snot-nosed teenager who drank too much and is causing trouble.

I want to tell my managers about this, or file a complaint. But I doubt it will go anywhere. I probablly wont be this upset tomorrow - but sigh, I wasnt a SG in this situation. I'd like to post this on every disney board i can find - but that probablly wont help. BTW - If anyone wants the names of the "officers" involved, I will be more then happy to provide.

EPCOT ATTRACTIONS

Freak
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Re: Stupid Security

Post by Freak » Sat Jun 23, 2007 3:32 am

Yeah, Id file a complaint. If Security treated me like that when I worked at Knott's, I wouldve totally filed one on them. While you may have looked maybe suspicious at the most, the security guard was way out of line to immediately accuse you of breaking and entering.

It can be a gray area, but it almost borders harassment...

RIP Bud Hurlbut.

You will be missed.

leftcoaster
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by leftcoaster » Sat Jun 23, 2007 7:19 am

I would certainly file a complaint (with the GSM of security?).

I am by any means justifying their actions, but there was an article in the paper earlier this week about Disney beefing up security in the DTD area because of the two tourists who were kidnapped and robbed a month or so ago.

Your incident may be because of security "getting the word" about being prudent in their observations. However, that does not mean being overzealous is justifiable (as I think the security person was in your case).

IMO, Disney brought this on themselves by removing the turnstiles at the entrance to PI. This has allowed a "mall atmosphere," not to mention the gang activity, at PI, by allowing underage kids to "hang out" outside of the clubs, stores, etc.

And Disney was "surprised" by this. :rolleyes:

Absolutely file a complaint!

SatisfiedGuest
Wide-eyed Newcomer
Wide-eyed Newcomer

Post by SatisfiedGuest » Sat Jun 23, 2007 5:30 pm

Sometimes it's late and we are tired, and we forget our manners...on both sides of the transaction. IMHO "posting this to every board" would put you in the category of SG, even if you are a CM. Whenever I've had a problem at WDW (only 3 times in 20 years), I choose to respond as I wish to be treated. I assumed the CM may, in fact, be having a bad day, may have made a mistake, may need more information...and that perhaps I was inadvertently doing something worng or suspicious from their point-of-view. I choose to not take offense, I choose to explain myself, and in 2 of the 3 unpleasant encounters we both had a laugh at the situation and went on with our day. In the 3rd, a patient explanation to a manager and her kind demeanor smoothed over a misunderstanding.
I agree Disney badly miscalculated what would happen in the Downtown Disney area when they removed the turnstiles; and I also applaud the increased police presence while they rectify that situation. One of the reasons I stopped frequenting the chat boards such as MiceAge and LaughingPlace was the folks there were never interested in accepting responsibility for an unpleasant encounter, never interested in taking the issue to Disney management, but always had the time to drone on and on about the ax they were grinding on public boards. My polite suggestion, "Why not deal with the issue at WDW, where you may have the problem remedied?" were met with, I'm afraid, the same kind of attitude I'm reading in your post.
I'm probably older than you, so I'll share this piece of advice my mother taught me. If someone calls you a name and it isn't true, you have no need to take offense. Responding with the truth, or even adding levity to the situation will diffuse it much more often than anger ever will. "Of course, she said, "Sticks and stones..." but you get the drift. :)

bingie
Wide-eyed Newcomer
Wide-eyed Newcomer

Post by bingie » Sat Jun 23, 2007 7:42 pm

Today is a new day...

I dont really care as much today - no surprises there. It's just that after all week of busting my balls at work being magical, that i'd be accused of stealing a magnet.

Oh well...

I'd rather it be me then an actual guest.

EPCOT ATTRACTIONS

mechurchlady
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by mechurchlady » Sat Jun 23, 2007 9:32 pm

I have a blinding food headache and cannot remember yesterday's post.

I could of sworn I saw raw language and stuff about other boards. I must really be reeling today to dream that up.

You have to report as the next time it may be a guest or someone who freaks out over such accusations. This minor problem could go ballistic if the wrong person was approached like gang members or a mentally unbalance or disabled guest.

Watch your language as we need the fact not disgusting argot. What happens on other boards stays there and if someone got banned from my site and came back 5 minutes later he would get an name ban, email address ban then an IP ban. Site owner rules and you do not go against the grain so to speak. You do not tell the Brand X Boards that they are wrong about the way the view Disney and the parks. That is the way things are done on the internet as well as in real life.

mechurchlady
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by mechurchlady » Sat Jun 23, 2007 9:33 pm

I have a blinding food headache and cannot remember yesterday's post.

I could of sworn I saw raw language and stuff about other boards. I must really be reeling today to dream that up.

You have to report as the next time it may be a guest or someone who freaks out over such accusations. This minor problem could go ballistic if the wrong person was approached like gang members or a mentally unbalance or disabled guest.

Cranbiz
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by Cranbiz » Sun Jun 24, 2007 12:11 pm

mechurchlady wrote:I have a blinding food headache and cannot remember yesterday's post.

Watch your language as we need the fact not disgusting argot. What happens on other boards stays there and if someone got banned from my site and came back 5 minutes later he would get an name ban, email address ban then an IP ban. Site owner rules and you do not go against the grain so to speak. You do not tell the Brand X Boards that they are wrong about the way the view Disney and the parks. That is the way things are done on the internet as well as in real life.
Churchy,

Your mind is wandering again.

I'm thinking this is for the indy post in the break room.

Take some Tylonol, have some popcorn and relax. Better days will come (I do hope)

No longer the Wearer of Purple Pants

No longer a General in the Bolivian Army!

"The views and opinions expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily represent or reflect those of The Walt Disney Company."

bingie
Wide-eyed Newcomer
Wide-eyed Newcomer

Post by bingie » Sun Jun 24, 2007 8:24 pm

i am confused

EPCOT ATTRACTIONS

ktulu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: ktululand
Department: Custodial