When CMs get bored...

This is the place to tell us about the stupid things fellow employees can do.
SRT_GB
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by SRT_GB » Fri Jul 11, 2003 7:18 pm

Every guest that rents an ECV is required to sign a legally binding contract that basically releases Disney from all liability blah blah blah. One day when I was really, really bored, I decided to go through the stack of contracts with a highlighter in hand and highlighted some random words like the, it, Disney. That wasn't amusing me enough so I decided to highlight more graphic words like broken bones, injury, dismemberment, death. Of course, nobody ever noticed my work, since nobody ever reads those darn things before signing their life away on them.

:towmater:
A precision instrument of speed and aromatics

Disneyland Stores June 2000-September 2004
Disneyland Hotel Stores November 2004-December 2005

BirdMom
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

things to do when you're bored

Post by BirdMom » Fri Jul 11, 2003 9:26 pm

Let's see...some of the things I've participated in (that can be discussed in mixed company...lol)

Doing an *interactive* show in the Tiki room after hours with other bored fellow cast members (we were supposed to be in evac class, but it just happened to be the night of the managers/supervisors X-mas party).

Easter Egg hunts on the sets of the Haunted Mansion (remote controls required). The winning egg had a guaranteed ADO.

Putting all the found glow ropes on the animation in the Mansion - including on the hitchiking ghosts and doggie in the graveyard. Dancing on the animation side of the ballroom with a mechanic while a lead held a light on us so that our reflections were added to the dancing ghosts...

Throwing ice at unsuspecting fellow cast members from inside the show curtain while they were trying to give their spiel to open up the Bear Band show. Flashing unsuspecting cast members from the entry hall or spotlight balcony (same attraction).

An entire summer of "can you top this" practical jokes between competing "teams" doing guest control between the top of Main St. and the Castle.

Running over to the area between Village Haus and Thunder to watch Tinkerbell slam into the air mattress. Lost it's novelty after half a dozen landings...

Stretching my acting chops and trying out various accents (dialects) at different attractions. I was everything from the southern belle to French to English and other goofs inbetween.

Pretending I actually cared about making sure the guests had a good experience (take that tourbunny!).

:twisted:

tabacco
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by tabacco » Sat Jul 12, 2003 12:05 am

From the ticket booths...

...rubber band fights in ticket booths and the pavilion when no guests were around.

...singing show tunes at guests through the window speaker at the DTD ticket booth at night when nobody was buying tickets (not me -- this was another seller, while I was there :) )

...using said window speaker to eavesdrop on conversations near the monorail entrance.

...making a deck of cards out of bad credit card receipt stock (the boca stock, for those in the know) (this was a booth-wide project one afternoon).

...channel-surfing with the radio if it was foolishly left alone with us in the DTD booth.

...group sing-alongs with the main entrance loop.

And then there's stuff from back when there were DCA Main Entrance super-greeters, before certain people went and spoiled it for the rest of us...

...attempting to dance to the background music loop.

...laughing at leads who informed us that we shouldn't dance on-stage because we were probably scaring small children and had no rhythm.

And lastly, Fantasmic! GC stuff...

...lightsaber duels.

...'conducting' the show with our flashlights, especially along the seawall right in front of the show director :)

...trying to get tech services to wave back at us from the powerboats during setup.

...leading a group of APs in a sing-along.

...singing They Might Be Giants' "Particle Man" out on the island during island set-up as a group (probably a good 10 people singing)

...quarter pitching contest on the island during take-down between GC and tech services.

...princess-spinning contest on the island after the show (i.e. us GC people trying to see who could best simulate the move where prince charming picks up snow white and spins her around him). Quoth a lead, upon seeing a male and female CM taking a running start at each other: "Is there something going on here that I'm going to have to put a stop to?"

Guest Relations King
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by Guest Relations King » Sat Jul 12, 2003 12:22 am

I heard, and later saw, that a fellow cast member of mine made a "Guest Voodoo Doll" out at one of our information booths. Apparently, it was a slow day and the CM used promotional materials (i.e.: maps, stickers, fliers, brochures, etc.). Scissors and staples held it together. It was rather scary looking when finished. The doll was even decked out with a purse and pet.

Other activities include: Cubis, Collapse, and last but not least: BEJEWELED!

A big thank you to Zone.com and whoever decided to give us internet access!

- GRK

My buddy left his job at Universal and fled in exile as a neanderthal to live in the Cayman Islands....He's cut himself off from all technology. He sends his stories in Aramaic on crayon written 3x5 cards sent by pigeon.

Fritter
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by Fritter » Sat Jul 12, 2003 10:15 pm

ha bejeweled, good game!

Anyhoo, I have seen someone fill a glove with cotton cany sugar and then drew a smiley face on it.

As for me, I play with rubberbands and see how many times I can wrap them suckers around my fingers 'til they break. Or I love to just people watch and infer what kind of person they are. :D

*standing at the cotton candy cart in front of the castle*
Guest: One hot dog please.
Me: "........."

CujoSR
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by CujoSR » Sat Jul 12, 2003 11:05 pm

made a creepy but good (tasty) mickey head using waffle batter and white and dark chocolate. it was cooked.

Get back to you when i think of more.

"A little swordplay, now and then, keeps my mind off sheep!"

"You're messing with my Zen thing, man."

"Dreams are as portals,
flat visions of misty places,
fragments bound below my surface,
but I can write dreams,
they flow from me,
inscribed but now unbound,
I touch them,
and they are real,
and they are real."

Dante101
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by Dante101 » Sun Jul 13, 2003 12:55 am

Fritter wrote:I love to just people watch and infer what kind of person they are.
Yeah, that can be fun. Of course, it's easy to infer what sort they are when you see a grown man screaming/berating his 5 year old kid because he's too scared to ride Star Tours... :roll:

techie-13
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by techie-13 » Sun Jul 13, 2003 10:14 am

At a Paramount Park...

While working rides in one of the kiddie areas, taking the biggest kid on the little bumper cars and puting him in the middle with all of the smaller kids aimed right at him. (Most of the time, the little ones would run into the wall on the other side and get stuck there.)
While working on the skyway, sending bizarre messages over to the other station using the guests.
While working as a show technician on an ice show, baptising new theater attendants (ushers) with slush from the zamboni. They also got it if they announced they were leaving before the end of the season.
I'm sure I'll think of more but it's been about 7 years since I worked there.

Dante101
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by Dante101 » Sun Jul 13, 2003 12:47 pm

I started at Dland in foods for a few years before transferring to attractions.

One day it was just dead at the Tomorrowland Terrace (TLT). I worked the counter. We were busy at first, but suddenly it was empty. I had a little box at my window for putting small pieces of trash in. It contained some french fries that various guest spill while leaving my window. So I started throwing a few fries out to the ducks, who bravely ventured inland from the Sub lagoon, looking for food. After throwing out a dozen or so fries, I look over and see the top 3 Tomorrowland managers walking my way!

Oh Sh*t! There's no way they would have missed seeing what I was doing!

But I never heard anything about it. They didn't come up to me, but rather went inside the side door that lead to the TLT office.

I always wondered if they saw me and forgot about it, or what.

Speaking of fries, also at TLT, we had this one girl from Norway who just started working there as part of a summer exchange program or something. When it was slow, she would go to where the french fries sat, under the heat lamp, and begin eating fries out of the bin, while staring out towards the guests. She thought nothing of it.

She soon got told that wasn't an acceptable practice.

As we started talking amongst ourselves about the incident, we wondered, if she wasn't told, how far would she go? Would she eat a few of the guest's fries while ringing up their total? Perhaps take a swig from their Coke? And then belch?

mahaihai
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Boredom at its best

Post by mahaihai » Sun Jul 13, 2003 10:02 pm

Sure i have had rubberband wars and such but i have a few stories that really stick out.

One time while in the pavilion a fellow cast member decided to take a roll of packing(pink tape for those that know) and tape another CM's arms to her side then sit on the oven and watch her try to help three or four different groups of guests only being able to bend and move her wrists

Getting all the phones on the ticketing line to call the group office and then transfer all of them to Goofy's B-Day line.

Bowling in the bank

And of course card games in DTD

Guests are a lot like children, either they never listen or they think you are lying even when your not!!