OMG! What did I just Say?! (Spiel Oopies)

This is the place to tell us about the stupid things fellow employees can do.
Zazu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: WDW
Position: retired

Re: OMG! What did I just Say?! (Spiel Oopies)

Post by Zazu » Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:49 pm

I think my biggest "Spiel Oopsie" was the day I used my standard spiel by mistake.

It was Gay Day at Magic Kingdom. And while that's generally just cause to deviate a bit from the standard script, in this particular case it was absolutely required.

The problem was my standard safety spiel at the Frontierland Station on the WDW RR. I normally instructed my guests to, "Keep them arms and legs inside the train, pardners, them bears is hungry!"

And.... it was not the right spiel when half the train was full of bears! The catcalls started at once. "Are they big, hairy bears?" "Can I take one home?"

Realizing it was not something I could just pretend didn't happen I decided to run with it, because, I figured, they couldn't fire me twice!

"Yeah you gotta watch out for them bears; one a them gets you in a bear-hug, they may never let go!" and so forth.

The guests loved it, and we kept up the "gay reparté" until it was time to leave. I closed with, "You folks sure have a queer way of lookin' at things!"

They giggled all the way to Toontown.

Zazu

avengador1
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by avengador1 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:34 pm

I heard the new monorail spiel using the "robot voice" the other day I was at the MK. They kept the "old" voice for some of the spiels and used the new one for others, including a few that seemed new to me. It sounded computer generated, so that is why I dubed it the robot voice or robovoice. It has an autotuned quality to it also. It also is very close to the original voice in the spiels.

Teddykeiko86
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by Teddykeiko86 » Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:17 pm

Not really an oopsie, but a way a way of telling the guests off. I was in the Shrek auditorium and a co-worker (suffering from burn out) was in Pre show. As the pre show doors open to the Aud, I hear him talking over the show spieling " "please enter the auditorium and TAKE ALL OF YOUR TRASH WITH YOU!". :eek:

Trash in preshow is common, preshow is like a huge trash can. I thought it was funny. I am sure a sup would not.

avengador1
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by avengador1 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:17 pm

Big Wallaby
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by Big Wallaby » Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:35 pm

I would have been and was better. That guy is boring.

Why do I think I would be a better voice? More emotion, more welcoming, much less robotic. Proof

I found out about this video when, the day after Atlantis launched on the STS-129 mission, I received a call at 4:00 in the morning from my mom asking if I had been driving the Monorail the previous day. I said I had. She said that she had fallen asleep with the TV running on CNN, and that my voice had woke her up when they went to this video.

Guess that's my few minutes of fame.

My opinions are mine and mine only. If my opinions are the opinion of others who happen to share whatever my crazy views may be, then fine, but it's not because I represent them in having my opinions. Got it?

CBeilby
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by CBeilby » Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:50 am

Teddykeiko86 wrote:Not really an oopsie, but a way a way of telling the guests off. I was in the Shrek auditorium and a co-worker (suffering from burn out) was in Pre show. As the pre show doors open to the Aud, I hear him talking over the show spieling " "please enter the auditorium and TAKE ALL OF YOUR TRASH WITH YOU!". :eek:

Trash in preshow is common, preshow is like a huge trash can. I thought it was funny. I am sure a sup would not.
I'm glad I wasn't the one who said that!

For Randy, For Bonny, For Chris...

Tinker Bell
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by Tinker Bell » Sat Jun 30, 2012 7:36 am

NemoRanger wrote:When I was working at The Seas with Nemo and Friends I decided that it might be a good idea to learn a little Spanish. I got tired of the non English speakers stopping the lines (when we it had lines) to try and figure out how many people could go in a shell.

So I looked it up and one day in my best Spanish I started screaming

Un or dos per concha!

I did this a number of times smiling away and feeling so proud of myself.

Then I started to get some weird looks from the Spanish guest. One lady gave me a horrified look as she walked past.

IT was then a Puerto Rican Friend of mine explained that I was saying the wrong word for shell. I was saying something pretty nasty
:hysteria: :hysteria: That is hilarious! As someone said you did use the right word but it's the slang that kills it. Not to mention that the vulgar word sounds very, very similar. :hysteria: This whole thread is hilarious, love it!

CycloneMan
Regular Guest
Regular Guest
Park: DAK
Department: Ops
Position: Coordinator

Post by CycloneMan » Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:44 am

One time during a ride evac, I spieled to the vehicle, "We will be getting you off one row at a time!" It must have been the way I said it, because the entire back half started cracking up. :oweye:

Big Wallaby
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by Big Wallaby » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:11 am

That sounds like a very special evac.

Sometimes you have the audience who takes every little thing you say as innuendo. Of course, they can also be the most fun to work with.

My opinions are mine and mine only. If my opinions are the opinion of others who happen to share whatever my crazy views may be, then fine, but it's not because I represent them in having my opinions. Got it?

BRWombat
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Department: Offsite Harmony
Position: Back Row Baritone

Post by BRWombat » Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:44 pm

Big Wallaby wrote:That sounds like a very special evac.

Sometimes you have the audience who takes every little thing you say as innuendo. Of course, they can also be the most fun to work with.
So... is "That's what she said" considered good show? :rolleyes:

"This would be a great place if we could only get rid of all these people." - Walt Disney

Image Image
VocalMajority
Twitter