OMG! What did I just Say?! (Spiel Oopies)

This is the place to tell us about the stupid things fellow employees can do.
Shorty82
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Re: OMG! What did I just Say?! (Spiel Oopies)

Post by Shorty82 » Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:01 am

WEDFan wrote:That's "chocolate cake" which probably works. Might add an adjective like kleine or something else. Any Germans out there? :D:
Translating it back into English gives both "chocolate cake" and "brownie".

I tried again using the actual Translate page instead of the iGoogle add-on and it gives "Heinzelmännchen" as the direct translation as well as this list:
  1. Schokoladenkuchen: chocolate cake, brownie
  2. Heinzelmännchen: brownie
  3. Wichtelmännchen: goblin, brownie, gnome, imp
  4. Wichtel: gnome, imp, goblin, brownie
  5. junge Pfadfinderin: brownie

Around here, however, we don’t look backwards for very long.

We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things, because we're curious…
and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths.

-Walt Disney
:wwwd:
Keep moving forward

KieranDotW
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by KieranDotW » Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:19 am

Shorty82 wrote:
  • Wichtelmännchen: goblin, brownie, gnome, imp
  • Wichtel: gnome, imp, goblin, brownie
Well at least they didn't sell me a goblin :rolleyes:

drcorey
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by drcorey » Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:52 pm

KieranDotW wrote:Well at least they didn't sell me a goblin :rolleyes:
I once saw a goblin eatting a brownie.
it's screams were awful.

Corey

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR
Department: Fruity Drink Land
Position: Mai Tai Face Plant

Post by hobie16 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:53 pm

drcorey wrote:I once saw a goblin eatting a brownie.
it's screams were awful.
Poor Brownie.

Don't be fooled by appearances. In Hawaii, some of the most powerful people look like bums and stuntmen.
--- Matt King

Stay low and run in a zigzag pattern.

felinefan
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by felinefan » Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:38 pm

The last definition , literally Young Pathfinder (female), would fit a pre-fly-up Girl Scout; I was a Junior in the 60s, my younger sister was a Brownie and flew up to a Junior. I remember my older sister having a Bluebird uniform in her closet, I think then she was a Brownie, then Junior, but I don't recall her becoming a Senior or a Cadet. I think Zazu might be better qualified than I on German. There's a couple in my church and the husband is Dutch and the wife is German; I tried wishing her Merry Christmas last week, and it turns out my high school German is rustier than I thought. She had to correct my pronunciation. :o:

drcorey
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by drcorey » Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:47 pm

pardon me boy,
is that the cat that chewed your new shoe?

Corey

WEDFan
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by WEDFan » Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:36 am

drcorey wrote:pardon me boy,
is that the cat that chewed your new shoe?
Heard that as "Pardon me Roy, ... " as part of a longer joke where Roy Rogers goes out riding wearing his new boots, and a mountain lion attacks him. He fends off the big cat, but his shoes are ruined. Roy grabs his gun and tracks down the cat. Returning with the animal slung over the back of his horse, a farm hand asks...

Goofyernmost
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by Goofyernmost » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:56 pm

WEDFan wrote:Heard that as "Pardon me Roy, ... " as part of a longer joke where Roy Rogers goes out riding wearing his new boots, and a mountain lion attacks him. He fends off the big cat, but his shoes are ruined. Roy grabs his gun and tracks down the cat. Returning with the animal slung over the back of his horse, a farm hand asks...
Exact punch line: Pardon me, Roy. Is that the cat that ate your new shoes! That was a real knee slapper in middle school, as I recall! :D:

For those too young to know, it was a play on the song that contained the line...Pardon me, boy! Is that the Chattanooga Chew Chew! One of the great musical creations of the time. :eek:

:goofy: :goofy:

Zazu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: WDW
Position: retired

Post by Zazu » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:40 pm

Goofyernmost wrote:Exact punch line: Pardon me, Roy. Is that the cat that ate your new shoes! That was a real knee slapper in middle school, as I recall! :D:

For those too young to know, it was a play on the song that contained the line...Pardon me, boy! Is that the Chattanooga Chew Chew! One of the great musical creations of the time. :eek:
It's "Chattanooga Choo Choo", and Glen Miller's recording of it was the first gold record ever awarded.

You can see that gold record hanging on the wall by the front desk of a Holiday Inn Hotel in said city. The hotel's main building is the old Chattanooga railroad station, and some of their rooms are in converted railroad cars.

Conversely, "Chattanooga Chew Chew" is a dog park in the same city, and "Chattanooga Chew" is a brand of chewing tobacco. Neither is as nice a place to stay or as nice a thing to listen to at all!

Zazu

Goofyernmost
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by Goofyernmost » Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:28 pm

Zazu wrote:It's "Chattanooga Choo Choo", and Glen Miller's recording of it was the first gold record ever awarded.

You can see that gold record hanging on the wall by the front desk of a Holiday Inn Hotel in said city. The hotel's main building is the old Chattanooga railroad station, and some of their rooms are in converted railroad cars.

Conversely, "Chattanooga Chew Chew" is a dog park in the same city, and "Chattanooga Chew" is a brand of chewing tobacco. Neither is as nice a place to stay or as nice a thing to listen to at all!
OK, so you exposed my ignorance. :o: I think on some level I knew it was not exactly right, but having a senior moment is no longer unusual for me. :D: Sooo...Choo Choo it is. Thanks for the correction nonetheless! :)

:goofy: :goofy: