SO i was thinking of writting a book....

This is a general discussion. If your topic doesn't fit anywhere else, put it here.
Doctor McKey
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro
Park: magic kingdom
Department: the dungeons
Position: former slave

SO i was thinking of writting a book....

Post by Doctor McKey » Sat Dec 06, 2014 9:16 pm

All joking aside... I want to write a Disney Guide Book... but not like the others... I want it to be from the cast member point of view on how to help guests not be SG's....
SGTBook.jpg
SGTBook.jpg (760.71 KiB) Viewed 7613 times

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR
Department: Fruity Drink Land
Position: Mai Tai Face Plant

Re: SO i was thinking of writting a book....

Post by hobie16 » Sun Dec 07, 2014 8:27 am

Nice idea but the SG's are illiterate.

Don't be fooled by appearances. In Hawaii, some of the most powerful people look like bums and stuntmen.
--- Matt King

Stay low and run in a zigzag pattern.

Doctor McKey
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro
Park: magic kingdom
Department: the dungeons
Position: former slave

Post by Doctor McKey » Sun Dec 07, 2014 12:41 pm

You might be right about that... but... i may give it a try... tie in my travel agent stuff with the sgt site and see if i can do it... as if i didnt already have a bizzilion things going at the moment...

Widget
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by Widget » Sun Dec 07, 2014 1:04 pm

If you make it a pop-up book with lots of pictures that may help the illiterate stupid guests. Especially if one of the pop-ups is a sledge hammer that knocks them on the head. :biggrin:

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR
Department: Fruity Drink Land
Position: Mai Tai Face Plant

Post by hobie16 » Sun Dec 07, 2014 7:09 pm

Widget wrote:If you make it a pop-up book with lots of pictures that may help the illiterate stupid guests. Especially if one of the pop-ups is a sledge hammer that knocks them on the head. :biggrin:
Maybe something like this...

Don't be fooled by appearances. In Hawaii, some of the most powerful people look like bums and stuntmen.
--- Matt King

Stay low and run in a zigzag pattern.

leftcoaster
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by leftcoaster » Mon Dec 08, 2014 3:54 am

Doctor McKey wrote:You might be right about that... but... i may give it a try... tie in my travel agent stuff with the sgt site and see if i can do it... as if i didnt already have a bizzilion things going at the moment...
The problem with writing a Disney guide book for SG's is that it needs to be informative enough for them to buy it. With the internet and various fan-based message boards, SG's are not just individuals but hoards of people that usually try and figure out ways to scam the system.

For example: Years ago, I was reading somewhere (maybe here?) where a group of SG's on a message board got together and bought a dorm refrigerator for use by everyone who paid in. This was long before most of the guest rooms did not have a fridge and if you requested one, you were charged x dollars per day. Their thought was that Mousekeeping wouldn't know it did not belong to Disney, so when each SG checked out, they just took the fridge with them, and put it back into the storage place.

They don't see themselves as SG's. And until you break that "barrier," they would feel that a book describing their exact behavior is either insulting to them or that they don't see their behavior as SG "material."

Similar to my church. Between each service, there is a slide that tells people to put their cell phone on vibrate or turn it off. Invariably, at least one cell phone goes off during each service? The problem is that you think that everyone reads the big slide that is on the huge screen as they are coming into the sanctuary, but no...it doesn't apply to them. They would first have to actually READ the slide, then think, "Oh yea, I have my cell phone, let me check to make sure it's on vibe or that it's off." When I ran sound years ago, I was planning to build a cell jammer. :pissed: Just a small black box with an antenna sticking out of it, with a lighted switch, and a power cord.

ktulu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: ktululand
Department: Custodial
Position: Janitor

Post by ktulu » Mon Dec 08, 2014 6:45 am

It could be a book on tape...er cd...er mp3. Big Wallaby and I can read it with a song or two in between chapters by Wombat.

Why don't we just make a movie?

"People can drink coke and pepsi, but they can't pee in the street."

bookbabe
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by bookbabe » Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:40 am

leftcoaster wrote:For example: Years ago, I was reading somewhere (maybe here?) where a group of SG's on a message board got together and bought a dorm refrigerator for use by everyone who paid in. This was long before most of the guest rooms did not have a fridge and if you requested one, you were charged x dollars per day. Their thought was that Mousekeeping wouldn't know it did not belong to Disney, so when each SG checked out, they just took the fridge with them, and put it back into the storage place.
That was over on Board X - they actually had multiple fridges going, more than one at each value resort, and you could sign up on the thread for your vacation. It was an honour system where you would pick up the fridge from bell services, then return it at the end of your stay, labelled for the next guest in the thread. They had a few vacation boxes going too, with pool noodles, water toys, collapsible coolers, sunscreen, and other stuff like that with the theory being that you'd use what you needed then at the end of your vacation put all the leftovers plus any new "extras" you had back in the tote for the next person in line, again storing everything at bell services.

It's actually not that bad of a plan, at least not if you aren't an SG and you tip bell services nicely for storing your items. A dorm fridge is pretty cheap and often the first person in the thread was going to buy one anyway, to avoid paying the $10 per day (at that time) for one. If you're staying over a week, and you have a car, you can save a bit of money that way. Remember, this was before Disney had fridges at the values, and people were (IMO rightfully) peeved at paying $100 over their 10 day vacation for a fridge they could buy new for $60.

On the scale of SG behaviour, I personally rank this one as pretty innocent. They were actually being nice to another guest, and as long as they weren't rude to bell services in the process, it really didn't hurt or negatively impact anyone other than Disney's profit margin... :wink:
Last edited by bookbabe on Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

YANXWIN
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by YANXWIN » Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:43 am

So now we are worried about Disney's profit margin?

bookbabe
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by bookbabe » Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:55 am

YANXWIN wrote:So now we are worried about Disney's profit margin?
I'm not worried in the least. :hysterical: Of all the companies around, Disney is one of the most capable of looking after itself, first and foremost...and never mind who they have to step on or over to accomplish that. That's why I don't feel it's particularly SG to come up with an easy and legal solution to save money in the parks or hotels.