A Treasure Found Today

This is a general discussion. If your topic doesn't fit anywhere else, put it here.
Big Wallaby
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

A Treasure Found Today

Post by Big Wallaby » Sat May 24, 2014 5:21 pm

Here is a post I put on Facebook. For those of you who know me on there, no need to re-read it here. By the way, you can find me there at facebook.com/talkwithbryan. Send me a message saying you're from SGT. I don't even need to know who you are. Note that toward the end I do get a little raw in my ground rules for responding. Enjoy the story.
Cleaning my house, I just found something that almost made me cry. It's a card that a guest gave me with his information, because he wanted to keep contact. You'd better believe I am going to be writing. It was given to me because the person who wrote down the information was so touched by something I did. I made a really bad mistake, that affected a lot of guests. I did what I could to make it right, using No Strings cards to give families some of their time back. But one family was here with Make A Wish... A father and son. In the course of what I would do to make up their time, I would learn that they were here because of the son's fight with a disease that was threatening his life, but they were very hopeful that he would still have a long, healthy life. The man's wife and son's mother had died fairly recently, and there were no other siblings. As family goes, they were alone in the world.

I called down to a manager to get special permission for what I did for them, and it was a great time. I was able to give them a gift: an experience that few have had as guests. I gave them an experience that very few Disney guests have ever had. I took them for a round on the Resorts train in the non-operational Cab 1 of Green. It was a night that I will never forget, and it was a night that helped me to hold on to my sanity in the days that would follow. It was the last time that I really cared about making magic for guests, especially on the trains. That was July 4, 2009. Later that night, I would revert into myself, into a shell of myself, for the next three and a half years.

That was the night that two trains collided and a coworker, a great person with whom it would have been worthwhile to be closer, was killed.

So now, with five years coming up, I have found the info and the address, and I can't wait to sit down and write a letter to say hello. I am hoping that when I write this man, he has great news about his son.

This may be the first time I have told anyone about this experience. It is my favorite moment at Disney. Little did I know it would be the last time while I was there that I would care about the magic. I tried to rekindle that sense by transferring, but I had lost it.

Where am I now? Today, I am glad to say that the magic is back, and if not for the fact that I am doing things that create a significantly higher income, I would go back to work for them in a Planck time. Who knows, maybe in the future I will. I treasure the place that Disney played in my life, the people I met and interacted with on a daily basis, and the interactions I had with guests. But I have moved on and from now on will enjoy it as a guest.

I miss being able to go backstage. I miss some of the truly special places that few guests know about. I miss being a part of making the magic happen.

When I came to Florida, it was with a desire to work for the mouse. Many come here to do that, but few from across the country. I poured all my ambition and heart into my guest interaction. My first year here, I was driving a bus six days a week and playing in the parks for the other day.

For those of you who choose to comment on this, I have some ground rules. Warning: some of you will think what I am about to say sounds cold, especially after the way I've been talking up to this point.

First, this isn't about One Rail One Family. Frankly, I am over all that. After leaving the department, it amazes me when I would go back and say hi, just how many would give me the cold shoulder. I'm sorry the friendship didn't actually mean anything. Sorry if saying that offends you.

Second, I don't need pity, sympathy, or anything else you want to call it. All I wanted to do was share a moment, and I hope it brightens your day. As for the wreck, I hate that it happened, I hate that a great guy was killed... and I am thankful for the long-term effect it had on my life. It's the pain that caused me to reassess where I was going, and make the right decisions.

Third, I don't need to hear that I am special for anything I have done; I'm not. You have your gifts and skills, I have mine. I loved making the effort to brighten someone's day in the ways that I was able to when I was there. I have so many great memories and I wouldn't trade a single one for the world. It's just who I am, and it's part of my purpose in the world.

Finally, I didn't write this for people to b***h about what happened, how they feel the service may have gone downhill, or anything like that. I know that if I went back, it doesn't matter where I go; as long as I was in a place to have guest contact, I would make guest magic. I would choose a place where I am not operating an attraction unless it's a spieling attraction. As a Cast Member, yes, your hands have been somewhat tied, but you can still make the magic happen one way or another. Remember, it's about how the guest feels, not what you did for them.

I hope you enjoyed the story of an unforgettable moment I would never have had anywhere else in the world besides behind a Disney nametag, and if you respond, repost, etc, I expect to hear a story of a time you gave exceptional guest service, either in the parks or in your field of work.

Thank you.
So those ground rules. The no frackin' sympathy and no telling me I'm special for what I did in the parks still stand. However, here I am among friends from whom I don't mind the breaking of my fourth rule a little bit. We get it without me posting a story like this. As long as it's kept to a dull roar, I am good with that. :wink:

My opinions are mine and mine only. If my opinions are the opinion of others who happen to share whatever my crazy views may be, then fine, but it's not because I represent them in having my opinions. Got it?

mapo
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Re: A Treasure Found Today

Post by mapo » Sun May 25, 2014 1:41 am

WOW...I love that story. I really do. I especially love the part where you found the information on the Father and Son just now. Perhaps it was just the right time for you to find that information. I am sure that the Dad will like to hear from you. Yes, even after all this time, And Yes, even if things with his son are not all rosy either.

OK, now I will say that my pixie dust has been ummmm, diminished the last few years. My current role is such that I have to interact with guests during negative activity. Yeah, I'll leave it at that.

Now, my story. It was late in the evening at MK and it was not necessarily the most positive day either. I was down at the Turnstiles dealing with a situation. I went into the shop behind the stroller/ecv rental counter to try to get something I needed. In there is a little girl eating a Mickey bar. She looked perplexed with the ice cream bar but was giving it a shot. Without thinking I used one of my personal spiels "Wow, you are so lucky! A Mickey bar! That is so awesome, it is my favorite. Enjoy princess!"

Well, I finished my mission in the shop and went to leave. I feel a yank on my jacket. I turn around and there is this quiet little boy holding a Mickey bar out for me. I was startled but said "Oh wow you have one too. Enjoy" He shook his head slowly holding the bar out for me to take. I protested, practically begging him not to give me his brand new ice cream. I looked up at his Mom trying to get some help. She smiled and said, "pay it forward". I thanked him and he ran back to Mom shyly, having never said a word, and they left.

Now, imagine that you had to be in the front of the park. You cannot leave. And you have a brand new Mickey bar, in YOUR hand. Well, I searched for a family with only one child, so I would not have to choose a favorite. Finally, I found one little boy leaving with his family. I gave him a "You have been chosen to win this Mickey bar for being so good in the park. Please come back soon!" I did not give them a chance to stop, but they smiled thinking that "Of course they give out ice cream on the way out for being good....this is Disney". They had no idea that by accepting the bar, they got me off the hook. LOL :biggrin:

Even now, telling the story for the first time to anyone, it just gets me. This one, very special little boy gave this sometimes cynical cast member a reminder that hope is not lost. Magic comes in all forms ... and the simplest acts are usually the best. :star:

BW, I look forward to hearing how your communication turns out...

mapo

WEDFan
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by WEDFan » Tue May 27, 2014 5:00 am

Mapo, I think that was a really great story, but I'm not quite sure. You see, something funky happened with my screen as it was reading. It got kind of blurry. Can't figure it out. Almost like there was excess moisture somewhere. :biggrin: I'm sure it will clear up...

Big Wallaby
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by Big Wallaby » Tue May 27, 2014 7:33 pm

Mapo, that is a fantastic story. I love it when our guests really get into the magic themselves.

My opinions are mine and mine only. If my opinions are the opinion of others who happen to share whatever my crazy views may be, then fine, but it's not because I represent them in having my opinions. Got it?

Zazu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: WDW
Position: retired

Post by Zazu » Sat May 31, 2014 12:06 am

Wallaby, let me just say that I'm so happy you were able to rediscover your magic, despite all. That's a precious gift, and one not given to everyone; espeially those of us who are tall enough to ride everything.

Big Wallaby
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by Big Wallaby » Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:51 pm

Zazu, it's interesting. In the last year I ran a NLP program on myself that allowed me to clear the emotion of all of that incident. Today, I can openly talk about it with anyone that asks. Before last summer that was impossible. What a journey.

Zazu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: WDW
Position: retired

Post by Zazu » Sat Jun 07, 2014 11:42 am

Big Wallaby wrote:In the last year I ran a NLP program on myself....
Huh? Your brain is compatible with non-linear programming? :feedback:

GaTechGal
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by GaTechGal » Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:19 am

Love your stories guys. Glad you've got your magic back Wallaby. You can spread magic anywhere not just Disney. I try and use it in my life too (not just on the job). Mapo, I know it stinks to only be able to deal with the negative all the time, but know that there are plenty of us out there that is glad that SOMEONE is dealing with those folks. We appreciate what you do, even if we don't get a chance to tell you so to your face.

February
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by February » Sat Jul 05, 2014 10:34 am

Glad to read these posts even if I am late to the thread. I hope you hear back from that guest! :)

hugs
bru