Attn: DLR/DCA Castmembers -- we have a (small) gift for you.

This is a general discussion. If your topic doesn't fit anywhere else, put it here.
Ianto Jones
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Attn: DLR/DCA Castmembers -- we have a (small) gift for you.

Post by Ianto Jones » Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:50 am

Attn: DLR/DCA Castmembers -- we have a (small) gift for you...

Hello.
This is my first post, and my sincerest apologies if I've chosen the wrong location or category for it.
If so, please let me know where to post this, and/or move it for me - we really want to get these gifts out :)

My wife and I do our very best not to be SG's, and hope we succeed more often than we fail (though we can't, of course, know).

We do cause a bit more work for you guys as we are both disabled (I'm in a powerchair, she has a walker because her legs stop working and collapse with no warning, and we have a small poodle/terrier service dog who alerts her for falling and seizures, and helps me with safety and wheelchair-things).

We are also both a little bit young for our actual ages - we were both in Special Ed as kids, and we both manage to really still see and feel the magic all around us, especially in your parks. I might have a plus hie on my walker. My wife is an excellent hugger. We are *intelligent*, just a bit - young in spirit?

This is our first year with AP's, possible because of the payment plan.

We live in Northern Cal, but are working out how to move down here in July when our lease is up, because the weather and positivity are very good for my wife's health.

Last summer, my wife got *very* sick! and spent many days in the hospital.
Right afterward, we were in SoCal to see a friend, and for "yay, you didn't die!", and stopped at DL for a day.

The overwhelming kindness, happiness, and sheer JOY of that visit cannot be put into words.

We signed up for AP's, and have come down as often as possible since then, not because of riding rides or watching shows (though those things can be amazing too, and we do one or two a day as health permits), but just for the wonderful positive interactions with kind people throughout the day.

Little five minute conversations and smiles here and there, at a shop or in the street. Even a minute. With a white shirt or a plaid, a costume or a character or a hug. Just all the *smiles*, guests too!

And we try to help, too.
I found a quiver for my powerchair to hold a reacher/grabber so I can pick up trash when I see it on the ground. She clears an extra table or two, when we eat.
We give directions and suggestions to other guests, when we can.
She offers to take pictures for groups, so everyone can be in.

We get together lists of people, and every month or two, fill out for sat City Hall for our thank you lists, as best we can manage. There are delays, but we get round to it (complicated by having to stay off MainStreet til after 4, as the dog is afraid of horses -- they are 25x his size!, and after 8, as the fireworks set off my wife's motion disorder...).

Anyhow, we keep trying to think of ways to give a small something *back*.
At Halloween, we had stickers for everybody, but were clumsy handing them out.

For Valentine's, my wife has made hundreds and hundreds of little cloth hearts, in all different fabrics and patterns.

We have been in the parks at random the past two weeks, trying to give them to as many Cast Members as possible, one at a time.

She has dropped off fistfuls at City Hall and it's DCA equal, and at several of the restaurants to send back to kitchen staff.
We have tried to catch parking staff at different times of day, different shifts.

Gone to the Ranch, stood in line for various Meet and Greets (even though lines actually do cause her legs to cramp, and can mean that we are done for the day or at least for several hours afterwards - walking stretches her legs, but standing or sitting *still* is painful, it's why she has a walker instead of a chair even though her legs collapse).

The reason for this long post, is -- we are in town until March 3rd. We have a red powerchair and a blue walker, with a small tan Terrier/poodle between us. We are both short.

**Please, if you see us - My wife wants to give you your Valentine** :-)

And to any of you "friends" out there - how can she politely ask if she has already given *you* your Valentine, or how many friends you might have that day? -- don't know how to ask this.

If anyone has trouble finding us, please PM and I will check nightly (we don't have a smartphone or wifi), and we will work to find you to deliver your heart.
We are camping (we do that so we can stay in SoCal longer), so net access is limited.

Virtual Hugs from both of us.

(and if he should happen to have someone read this to him, a very special Thank You to Peter Pan on Sunday afternoon, for patiently waiting even on his way back off to Neverland, as she sorted out his gift from the strange cardboard thingy it was in for safekeeping -- and for understanding that gum was NOT his gift. He made my wife's entire _month_, as she had very much longed to thank him! and had nearly given up the hunt to find him.)

BRWombat
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Department: Offsite Harmony
Position: Back Row Baritone

Re: Attn: DLR/DCA Castmembers -- we have a (small) gift for

Post by BRWombat » Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:28 am

Wow, what an incredible first post! I'm not a CM, but I know that apart from anything you can hand the cast members, they will appreciate your spirit and attitude even more!

Welcome, Ianto Jones, to Stupid Guest Tricks!!!

:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

WEDFan
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by WEDFan » Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:08 pm

Welcome, Ianto Jones. Happy you can join us.

hhsrat
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by hhsrat » Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:23 pm

We do try to make all our guests happy, but guests with a positive attitude, like yourselves, who actually bother to smile and say thank you, well, you're the reason that a lot of us do what we do. Welcome Ianto Jones!

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR
Department: Fruity Drink Land
Position: Mai Tai Face Plant

Post by hobie16 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:36 pm

Image Ianto Jones

Don't be fooled by appearances. In Hawaii, some of the most powerful people look like bums and stuntmen.
--- Matt King

Stay low and run in a zigzag pattern.

Main Streeter
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by Main Streeter » Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:24 am

Ianto Jones wrote:Attn: DLR/DCA Castmembers -- we have a (small) gift for you...

Hello.
This is my first post

For Valentine's, my wife has made hundreds and hundreds of little cloth hearts, in all different fabrics and patterns.

We have been in the parks at random the past two weeks, trying to give them to as many Cast Members as possible
lanto Jones, are you serious? REALLY? I can't even believe I am reading about these little, dainty cloth hearts your wife makes. This is so interesting and you have solved a mystery I think. Last Friday I went into 20th Century Music about 1555 and there on the counter,in a safe spot, was a small red and white fabric heart. The red stripes went in a horizontal pattern. does this sound familiar? I had no clue where the pretty little heart came from. I asked a few C Ms where this heart was from and why it was tucked to the side? No one could answer my question. I was so intrigued. I left the pretty little heart within sight for my entire 8 hour shift. By then all the CMs who started before I did were gone, thus I knew the little heart would perhaps be lost after we closed at 0100. When I was off at 2430 I passed the little heart and just couldn't let it be lonely. I reached over and put the fabric heart in my pocket. If this is infact your wife's handmade heart, it now is on the table by my laptop and favorite things. How quaint and beautiful your post was written. I'll just hope the heart was left by both of you. Makes it even lovelier.

Ianto Jones
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by Ianto Jones » Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:40 am

Yes!! That is one of hers! The red-and-white, sort've like an old-timey candystriper's uniform, in a way, fabric? Candy-cans colours, but narrower? :-)
We would love to actually give you one in person...maybe a different colour to keep it company?
And I can't believe you actually found one just sitting there, but it makes me happy it was there like that.
::Grin::
We are totally for real.
Thank you for replying!

Apparently I'm too new to get PM's (board profile says it's disabled for me still); but you guys can email me via the board, or at [email protected] .

::hugs::

My actual name is Jay, wife Gigi, service pup Jack-Jack (Cpt. Jack Barkness, a Torchwood ref as is my screenname here).

Yay, you have one, though!!!

Big Wallaby
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by Big Wallaby » Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:23 pm

I couldn't remember where, but I knew your name was a Who reference.

Jack Barkness. A very cool name. I am going to have to pass that one on to my wife. She LOVES Tenth Doctor (and Rose). Me? I'm just an all-around Doctor Who fan myself... I think my favorite assistant was Martha, which surprises almost everyone I tell.

What do you think of Capaldi taking over the Doctor role? Scroll down on this article to see what the new Doctor garb will look like. He seems like he'll go a bit more classic in personality, but with the zaniness that we all love.

Oh, as far as your restrictions, I believe those are set for something like the first ten new posts, or is it 25? Actually, I don't know, both of those are guesses. But no matter. I am sure someone who actually knows will come along shortly and correct my semi-educated guesses.

I personally love when people come and want to make magic for Cast Members. It's great to hear that your valentines have made it around to members here at SGT.

My opinions are mine and mine only. If my opinions are the opinion of others who happen to share whatever my crazy views may be, then fine, but it's not because I represent them in having my opinions. Got it?

Main Streeter
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by Main Streeter » Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:44 pm

Ianto Jones wrote:Yes!! That is one of hers! The red-and-white, sort've like an old-timey candystriper's uniform, in a way, fabric? Candy-cans colours, but narrower? :-)
We would love to actually give you one in person...maybe a different colour to keep it company?
And I can't believe you actually found one just sitting there, but it makes me happy it was there like that.
::Grin::
We are totally for real.
Thank you for replying!
Was my pleasure to reply, and actually know the story of the little red and white fabric heart. What a rare coincidence. Serendipitous is a better term. I am a bit hard to find at times, but I will certainly look for you, Gigi and your white dog. I LOVE DOGS! :Fifi: :Lady: :Peg: :Scamp: :dog:
Yay, you have one, though!!!
Last edited by Zazu on Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:12 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: fixed broken quote code

TiggerHappy
Regular Guest
Regular Guest
Park: Disneyland
Department: Food & Beverage

Post by TiggerHappy » Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:27 am

Were you the couple that passed through Tomorrowland Terrace some days ago? I think I received one of those fabric hearts from you. (Added it to my growing scrapbook!)

If so, thank you for the gift! :) I was having a blah day due to all the people being upset that the restaurant was closed and your unexpected act of kindness lifted my spirits a little.