It's A Small Judgement After All

This is a general discussion. If your topic doesn't fit anywhere else, put it here.
hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR
Department: Fruity Drink Land
Position: Mai Tai Face Plant

It's A Small Judgement After All

Post by hobie16 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:35 pm

Man wins $8K after Disney "Small World" breakdown

Disneyland and Anaheim, Calif., will pay $8,000 to a disabled man who was stranded for a half hour when a ride broke down.

Jose Martinez, a quadriplegic, claims he and his wife were stuck on a malfunctioning "It's a Small World" ride in 2009 while he suffered a medical emergency, CBS Radio and CBS Los Angeles report. The couple had brought a video camera and captured the incident on video. full article

Don't be fooled by appearances. In Hawaii, some of the most powerful people look like bums and stuntmen.
--- Matt King

Stay low and run in a zigzag pattern.

Shorty82
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Re: It's A Small Judgement After All

Post by Shorty82 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:57 pm

hobie16 wrote:Man wins $8K after Disney "Small World" breakdown

Disneyland and Anaheim, Calif., will pay $8,000 to a disabled man who was stranded for a half hour when a ride broke down.

Jose Martinez, a quadriplegic, claims he and his wife were stuck on a malfunctioning "It's a Small World" ride in 2009 while he suffered a medical emergency, CBS Radio and CBS Los Angeles report. The couple had brought a video camera and captured the incident on video. full article
I don't know the full story but only being stuck 30 minutes is good. It takes quite a while to evac ambulatory guests from IASW and even longer for those in wheelchairs. If DLR's IASW is anything like WDW's in this regard boats containing wheelchair bound guests have to be pushed into the maintenance bay from wherever they are on the ride as there is a lift to stabilize the boat and ramps to get the chair off in there. There is no other way to safely evac a wheelchair away from the load/unload docks.

IMNSHO the fire department and paramedics should have been called to assist the guest as needed. If the guests say there is an emergency you don't argue, you call the professionals. Firefighters would have been able to carry the man off if need-be.

Leaving the music on is a whole different story, according to WDW's IASW OG the audio is to be muted if the ride is stuck for more than a few minutes and I'm sure DLR's OG says something similar.

Around here, however, we don’t look backwards for very long.

We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things, because we're curious…
and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths.

-Walt Disney
:wwwd:
Keep moving forward

DisneyMom
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR Guest
Department: Churro Inspection
Position: In Line for POTC

Post by DisneyMom » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:25 am

As a nurse I know Dysreflexia is a very severe issue, BUT I think he was probably able to mitigate the situation to where it hopefully wouldn't happen. My understanding is that this guy was a frequent visitor to DLR, being a pin trader. If you cant wait for 30 minutes to leave the area, you probably shouldn't go on the rides. Did he try to call 911? Maybe, but when there was "no response" what did his caregiver do to mitigate that? If a Family member was in trouble, I'd jump out of the boat onto the sides of the attraction, ensuring the CMs would arrive IMMEDIATELY and demand medical assist. If the noise/lights were bothering him (he knew DLR has lots of noise and lights), he could have closed his eyes,plugged his ears, taken some Ativan if stress was a frequent problem. A Full Bladder can definitely cause Dysreflexia...He doesn't carry around catheterization supplies? Most Quads do, watch the CMs come running if you do that on a Small World Boat! It would have relieved the problem and caused an Alert at the same time.

Maybe there is a perfectly good response to all of my questions and I am being unfair. As a Nurse, I do believe that people need to take more responsibility for their medical conditions to avoid trouble. As a patient, I am guilty of failing to take my own advice. :o:

:flybongo: NO BULL!!!!!:D:

YANXWIN
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by YANXWIN » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:41 am

You are thinking too logically now. We have decided in America that we don't have to take responsibility for our actions anymore. It is ALWAYS someone else's fault. I was late for a meeting this morning because I got cut off and couldn't ge through traffic. Someone should have to pay me for that. It couldn't have been my fault.

drcorey
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by drcorey » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:14 pm

True. thats where the torment is. that god damn song.
You are right, in a break down first thing to do is kill the cursed soundtrack.

it's a world of horror a world of greed...

Corey

Goofyernmost
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by Goofyernmost » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:13 pm

drcorey wrote:True. thats where the torment is. that god damn song.
You are right, in a break down first thing to do is kill the cursed soundtrack.

it's a world of horror a world of greed...
Agreed, it's just a damn song and a catchy one at that. It's just that so much joking has gone on about it, you'd think it was some type of water torture. It can only be upsetting if someone lets it be upsetting. It's time for everyone in this country to grow up. It is more than obvious to me that we, as a nation, have too few hardships to deal with. If we had to deal with the things that people have had to deal with in real life, we would think that this is pretty funny. Half hour, my butt. What a total crock. Whine and whine some more. Try spending time in a war zone sometime and then tell me that 30 minutes of Small World is a problem. I guarantee you it won't be.

:goofy: :goofy:

drcorey
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by drcorey » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:27 pm

Goofyernmost wrote:Agreed, it's just a damn song and a catchy one at that. It's just that so much joking has gone on about it, you'd think it was some type of water torture. It can only be upsetting if someone lets it be upsetting. It's time for everyone in this country to grow up. It is more than obvious to me that we, as a nation, have too few hardships to deal with. If we had to deal with the things that people have had to deal with in real life, we would think that this is pretty funny. Half hour, my butt. What a total crock. Whine and whine some more. Try spending time in a war zone sometime and then tell me that 30 minutes of Small World is a problem. I guarantee you it won't be.
Disney even jokes about it.
remember that haunted mansion commercial?
nothing frighted the 999 dead. untill they went on IASW ride, and they ran out screaming.

Corey

EpcotFan
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by EpcotFan » Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:49 pm

Sonny Eclipse over at Starlight Ray's Cosmic Cafe even has a Small World reference--after playing a quick riff of the song he stops and says "Ooh why did I start playing that tune? We use that on my planet Zork to break the enemy!" :D:

DLRFantasmic!Dan
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by DLRFantasmic!Dan » Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:45 pm

CMs even makes joke about Small World when leaving Jungle Cruise, "Please gather up your personal belongings. All children left behind will be taken to 'It's A Small World' with their feet glued to the floor will sing that song, over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over............... again!"

Attractions:
Rocket Scientist at "HISTA"/ Astro Orbitor,
Space Ranger at Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters

Fantasmic!
The POD
RDCT Fireworks
From June 28, 2003 To October 4, 2006 - Once A DL CM, Always A DL CM!