Stompin' Tom Connors will not be down for breakfast

This is a general discussion. If your topic doesn't fit anywhere else, put it here.
hhsrat
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Stompin' Tom Connors will not be down for breakfast

Post by hhsrat » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:02 pm

Canadian songwriter "Stompin'" Tom Connors, best known for "The Hockey Song" (the Good old hockey game), passed away on Wednesday at his home in Ontario.

http://www.stompintom.com/

[video=youtube;3QtQy_xHdDo][/video]

The views and opinions expressed in this post do not represent those of the Walt Disney Company. This post was written while off the clock and off WDW property. Caution: The moving rubber line is travelling at the same speed as you.

BRWombat
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Department: Offsite Harmony
Position: Back Row Baritone

Re: Stompin' Tom Connors will not be down for breakfast

Post by BRWombat » Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:04 am

hhsrat wrote:Canadian songwriter "Stompin'" Tom Connors, best known for "The Hockey Song" (the Good old hockey game), passed away on Wednesday at his home in Ontario.

http://www.stompintom.com/

As a marginal fan of the sport of hockey, but big Dallas Stars fan, I wasn't familiar with that song (and, frankly, still prefer Pantera's hockey song :) ). But now that I've heard it, I'll miss the guy. RIP.

"This would be a great place if we could only get rid of all these people." - Walt Disney

Image Image
VocalMajority
Twitter

delsdad
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here
Park: Canadas Top
Department: Concert Hall!
Position: Making Lights Move!

Post by delsdad » Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:06 pm

Every flag in Canada should be at half mast today !

On the radio there is discussion of a state funeral ! Really !

He was a cranky fellow, according to those who worked closely with him. But he was as genuine as they come. He wore his Canadian pride on his sleeve, possibly the most patriotic entertainer ever to come from down east.

bookbabe
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by bookbabe » Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:05 pm

He was our equivalent to Bob Dylan, Willie Nelson, Elvis, etc. - a true icon for Canadian culture as well as a great musician. It's a very sad day.

ktulu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: ktululand
Department: Custodial
Position: Janitor

Post by ktulu » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:37 pm

BRWombat wrote:As a marginal fan of the sport of hockey, but big Dallas Stars fan, I wasn't familiar with that song (and, frankly, still prefer Pantera's hockey song :) ). But now that I've heard it, I'll miss the guy. RIP.
Wombat, I know you. We've broken bread together, which we should do again. You've been to my house. You borrowed my luggage. The fact that you know 1) who Pantera is and 2) like one of their songs is impressive!

"People can drink coke and pepsi, but they can't pee in the street."

BRWombat
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Department: Offsite Harmony
Position: Back Row Baritone

Post by BRWombat » Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:17 am

ktulu wrote:Wombat, I know you. We've broken bread together, which we should do again. You've been to my house. You borrowed my luggage. The fact that you know 1) who Pantera is and 2) like one of their songs is impressive!
You should know that I'm full of surprises. I'm a riddle, wrapped in an enigma, smothered in secret sauce.

"This would be a great place if we could only get rid of all these people." - Walt Disney

Image Image
VocalMajority
Twitter

KieranDotW
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by KieranDotW » Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:02 pm

Wow. I'm gonna get some hate for this, but I've lived in Canada my whole life and still have no idea who this is. :S

hhsrat
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by hhsrat » Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:42 pm

KieranDotW wrote:Wow. I'm gonna get some hate for this, but I've lived in Canada my whole life and still have no idea who this is. :S
**Sends some hate KieranDotW's way** ;)

I personally would consider Stompin Tom's "Hockey Song" to be the 2nd best song ever written about hockey. (The 1st would have to be the Gear Daddies, "I wanna drive the Zamboni" ... and a close 3rd would probably be Captain Tractor, "(love hit him like a) Frozen Puck to the Head")

The views and opinions expressed in this post do not represent those of the Walt Disney Company. This post was written while off the clock and off WDW property. Caution: The moving rubber line is travelling at the same speed as you.

bookbabe
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by bookbabe » Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:58 pm

hhsrat wrote:I personally would consider Stompin Tom's "Hockey Song" to be the 2nd best song ever written about hockey.
My personal fav Stompin Tom song is "Sudbury Saturday Night." The Hockey Song is epic, but it's less pure Canadian in nature... :-)

(but no hate sent KieranDotW's way, just sympathy...it's not his fault he had a deprived childhood, the poor soul)

hhsrat
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by hhsrat » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:09 am

bookbabe wrote:but it's less pure Canadian in nature... :-)
I guess that's my problem, being from the North side of the Ambassador bridge, is that I only get the Americanized version of Canada.

(But, I think the Arrogant Worms are hilarious, does that count for anything?)