EEOC Rules Anti-Transgender Discrimination Unlawful

This is a general discussion. If your topic doesn't fit anywhere else, put it here.
Alyssa3467
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

EEOC Rules Anti-Transgender Discrimination Unlawful

Post by Alyssa3467 » Thu May 31, 2012 6:06 am

EEOC Breakthrough: Anti-Transgender Discrimination Is Unlawful

I think I'm going to pay the EEOC's Los Angeles District Office a visit next week. I strongly believe I'm being treated unfairly and that I should be at least a Lead by now if not a Manager. Honestly, I'm tired of all of this crap. There are Trainers, Leads, and Managers that I can run circles around, and people who haven't worked for the company as long as I have and/or don't have the background that I do have gotten promotions. I deserve better. I've worked for Disney for six years, and during that time, I developed a reputation for being among the most knowledgeable Cast Members; other Cast Members would come to me with the most obscure of questions expecting me to know (or at least know where to look, I suppose). I have specialty job knowledge, and in those areas, I'm considered among the best Cast Members with that job knowledge. During the time I worked for Pizza Hut, I as a Manager helped to bring my store from a mediocre store to the best store in the area (10 stores) and one of the best stores in the region (65 stores) in terms of customer satisfaction. Since my departure, the store in question has dropped back down to a mediocre store, as far as I know. I do know that the employees that are still working their don't like their management team.

Or should I wait until Disneyland Resort Employee Relations finishes their investigation, which has thus far taken well over a month?

I probably should update my résumé and post it on the various job sites.

(Yes, I'm a transgendered woman. I've never posted about it here before this (well... I may have hinted at it in the "Mistaken Guest Genders" thread way back when), and I don't discuss it with very many Cast Members, because frankly, it's not really their business. Unfortunately, some Cast Members haven't been all that nice; at least one has referred to me as a man in women's clothing, and I've been told that more than a few have said other not-nice things about me behind my back. Thankfully, I haven't really had issues with most of the Guests... most. I kind of want to sit in on a Traditions class, sans name tag and Cast ID, and see what new hires are taught about diversity nowadays.)

DisneyMom
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR Guest
Department: Churro Inspection
Position: In Line for POTC

Re: EEOC Rules Anti-Transgender Discrimination Unlawful

Post by DisneyMom » Thu May 31, 2012 9:15 am

I hope things go better. I know that in some cases lawyers can't proceed until you've exhausted all channels, but maybe if you consult now, they can work with you while you're doing that. Despite anti-discrimination laws, people are still so narrow-minded and prejudiced, and just suck :mad:
I know I've seen you once or twice, I will say Hi next time :)

:flybongo: NO BULL!!!!!:D:

Big Wallaby
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by Big Wallaby » Thu May 31, 2012 10:10 am

Please pursue that, and keep us updated. I, for one, am really interested in what happens. Part of my reason is that I have been turned down on the opposite end of the spectrum; I honestly believe that I was overlooked on at least one occasion for being straight. I don't have protection for that, you do. So please pursue it.

My opinions are mine and mine only. If my opinions are the opinion of others who happen to share whatever my crazy views may be, then fine, but it's not because I represent them in having my opinions. Got it?

Alyssa3467
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by Alyssa3467 » Thu May 31, 2012 1:43 pm

One would think that protection from discrimination based on sexual orientation would go both ways, if you know what I mean. Equal rights, not special rights, as they say.

joanna71985
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by joanna71985 » Thu May 31, 2012 7:17 pm

I'm sorry you're being treated that way :(

Please keep us updated...I'm interested to find out how it goes

[font="Comic Sans MS"]
I will be your guide for this magical journey into the movies. It's the perfect job for me, because I love movies! Is everybody ready? Great, because it's showtime. Ready when you are, CB!
[/font]

reiella
Wide-eyed Newcomer
Wide-eyed Newcomer

Post by reiella » Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:50 am

I am very optimistic about the EEOC ruling change, but from my understanding, that ruling specifically was with regards to federal jobs and positions, but generally the federal courts who oversee claims tend to follow the EEOC guidelines, but it's not quite the same thing. Sidenote here, it does appear that the state of California has explicit protections for gender identity as well, so you may end up being redirected to a state agency.

I am overly cautious myself though, since I live in a state/area where employers can site 'no reason' for termination and shift the burden of proof significantly to the employee. Which can be annoying when ultimately, the case of bias can be [not] due to a non-systemic procedure but a widespread bias among employees.

But don't let me be a downer :) . Not much bad can really happen from contacting the EEOC. Only thing is I'd suggest contacting the Transgender Law Center.

Amphigorey
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by Amphigorey » Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:39 pm

Alyssa, I'm so sorry you're going through that. I'm appalled at your coworkers, who should know better. And you are right, cis and trans should be addressed in diversity training.

Main Streeter
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by Main Streeter » Sun Jun 03, 2012 5:55 am

Alyssa3467 wrote:
Or should I wait until Disneyland Resort Employee Relations finishes their investigation, which has thus far taken well over a month?
Alyssa, please be very very careful what and how you post here. By DisneyLand Resort Employee Relations, do you mean H R? H R has 6 months from the time you speak with them at TDA until they make their final determination.

"You work here? You must be SO rich!"

RESCUE A PET! [font="Arial Black"]Within the heart of every stray Lies the singular desire to be loved.[/font]

Alyssa3467
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by Alyssa3467 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:44 pm

I didn't wind up going until August 13. They gave me a time frame of up to 180 days for them to complete their investigation.

In other news, right around the time I hired in, somebody brought this article to my attention: http://mcamp.us/6xy. Does anybody know if this kind of stuff still goes on and how housing for transgendered students is currently handled by the Disney College Program? Has anybody heard any stories, good or bad, or seen anything, related to Disney, its Cast Members, and how they behave, onstage and backstage, and not just specifically the Disney College Program?

PatchOBlack
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by PatchOBlack » Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:51 pm

I believe I will share a semi-related story at this time. I have had a few friends who are now or in the process of...transgendering? Is that the proper term? In any case, I once met one of them after we hadn't seen each other for a few years at a convention. Now, I want to make it clear, I wasn't trying to be clever or anything, this is just an insight into how my mind sometimes works...

My friend: And...well, I'm a woman now....
Me: *nodding* Yes, I noticed that.
Friend: *A bit perplexed* But...you didn't say anything about it.
Me: Well, I figured you already knew.