Instant Karma

This is a general discussion. If your topic doesn't fit anywhere else, put it here.
Big Wallaby
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Re: Instant Karma

Post by Big Wallaby » Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:50 am

hobie16 wrote:Duck?
Only problem with that is if he had it woulda hit his head.

And I have to say, the time it would take to get a crossbow ready, pull it out and all that, that kid should have had time to hide or something.

Now with that said, there have been instances where kids/teens were throwing rocks at cars, and doing it either at fast-moving cars, or dropping large rocks from overpasses, they have killed people.

My opinions are mine and mine only. If my opinions are the opinion of others who happen to share whatever my crazy views may be, then fine, but it's not because I represent them in having my opinions. Got it?

bookbabe
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by bookbabe » Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:03 am

Big Wallaby wrote:And I have to say, the time it would take to get a crossbow ready, pull it out and all that, that kid should have had time to hide or something.
Loading a crossbow quickly takes practice. So does being accurate with one (although not as much practice as shooting a longbow accurately takes).

It takes even more practice to do that in a moving vehicle (or, say, on a horse). I owe a medieval-style crossbow, so I'm speaking from experience. Even the modern ones are harder to operate than they look.

My bet is that the kid has thrown rocks from that location on a number of occasions, so the shooter came with crossbow already loaded, hoping to see him there again... :twisted:

TiggerHappy
Regular Guest
Regular Guest
Park: Disneyland
Department: Food & Beverage

Post by TiggerHappy » Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:50 pm

Who said medieval weapons are outdated? :p: I mean, the pointy end still hurts when it goes into the other person, no?

I feel I'm not as impressed with the driver using a crossbow than if he had used, say, a javelin. Now THAT would've been a sight to see!

Lasolimu
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by Lasolimu » Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:55 pm

TiggerHappy wrote:Who said medieval weapons are outdated? :p: I mean, the pointy end still hurts when it goes into the other person, no?

I feel I'm not as impressed with the driver using a crossbow than if he had used, say, a javelin. Now THAT would've been a sight to see!
Yeah, it would have been impressive, but mostly because those things are so unwieldy from a car. :rolleyes:

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

TiggerHappy
Regular Guest
Regular Guest
Park: Disneyland
Department: Food & Beverage

Post by TiggerHappy » Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:39 am

Lasolimu wrote:Yeah, it would have been impressive, but mostly because those things are so unwieldy from a car. :rolleyes:
Not if you have a harpoon gun!

WEDFan
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by WEDFan » Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:17 am

TiggerHappy wrote:I feel I'm not as impressed with the driver using a crossbow than if he had used, say, a javelin. Now THAT would've been a sight to see!
Better still a javelin with an atlatl. Unless it was a convertible, then it would be a little less impressive.

Big Wallaby
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by Big Wallaby » Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:28 am

One thing about the medieval weapons, I have heard from several people now that police are much afraid of those weapons at events where they have mock wars with them. The reason? An arrow goes through kevlar, while there is a good chance that chainmail and a hard knight's suit stand a very good chance at stopping a bullet.

My opinions are mine and mine only. If my opinions are the opinion of others who happen to share whatever my crazy views may be, then fine, but it's not because I represent them in having my opinions. Got it?

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR
Department: Fruity Drink Land
Position: Mai Tai Face Plant

Post by hobie16 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:11 am

Gotta ask, is there a statistical rise in knight on cop assaults that the media has failed to pick up on?

Don't be fooled by appearances. In Hawaii, some of the most powerful people look like bums and stuntmen.
--- Matt King

Stay low and run in a zigzag pattern.

Lasolimu
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by Lasolimu » Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:14 am

hobie16 wrote:Gotta ask, is there a statistical rise in knight on cop assaults that the media has failed to pick up on?
I highly doubt it, it's the media, all it would take is a couple of incidents and you wouldn't stop hearing about the knight on cop assault epidemic. :eek:

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

bookbabe
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by bookbabe » Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:30 am

Big Wallaby wrote:One thing about the medieval weapons, I have heard from several people now that police are much afraid of those weapons at events where they have mock wars with them. The reason? An arrow goes through kevlar, while there is a good chance that chainmail and a hard knight's suit stand a very good chance at stopping a bullet.
It's all rumour and fear-mongering.

None of the events, at least in all of the clubs I know about, where medieval archery (bows or crossbows) are present use those weapons in a mock war or melee of any kind. (Real arrows are used in target archery only, with pretty strict safety requirements.) All our combat arrows use plastic blunts on the tips instead of actual points, or they're mock arrows made of golf tubes with rubber stoppers on the end. :D: Your friends get upset if you try to shoot real arrows at them...

Swords, now, that's a different story. Medievalists generally aren't the problem with swords, or any of the medieval weapons, for that matter. Any SG with a hundred bucks can buy a pseudo-medieval or "ninja" sword at their local mall, and they've usually watched Lord of the Rings or Braveheart too many times and thus think they can actually use it... :rolleyes: