Adventures In Fruity Drink Land

This is a general discussion. If your topic doesn't fit anywhere else, put it here.
delsdad
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here
Park: Canadas Top
Department: Concert Hall!
Position: Making Lights Move!

Re: Adventures In Fruity Drink Land

Post by delsdad » Thu Sep 11, 2014 3:21 pm

We spent several days in PNG in 1998, in Rabul. This volcano (Tavurnir) is one of two (the other being Vulcan) that form the mouth of Simpson harbour. What was once considered the most beautiful harbour in the world was nearly destroyed in, first in 1937, then in 1994. Our hotel (the Kaivuna) was one of the few buildings that survived the eruption intact, only because the owner continuously shovelled the ash from the roof, to prevent it being buried. I wish I had taken photos of some of the pictures that decorated the bar, showing the area before and immediately after the eruption. When we were there, the favourite thing for the Aussie expats to do was sit in the bar and watch Tavurver continue to smoke, about every 45 minutes it let out a good puff and a rumble. There were many active volcanos in sight, the smell of sulphur was overpowering. It was like waiting for the end of the world. But the diving was amazing !

This is not my photo, but this is what we saw everywhere, 4 years after the eruption. Very little had changed.

For an excellent account of the eruption, and decryption of the area and the town, have a look at this : http://caermynach.blogspot.ca/2014/02/3 ... lcano.html
hobie16 wrote:Shockwave.

[video][/video]

shilohmm
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by shilohmm » Thu Sep 11, 2014 6:01 pm

hobie16 wrote:Shockwave.

[video][/video]
Well that is just majorly cool. :thumbsup:
delsdad wrote:
For an excellent account of the eruption, and decryption of the area and the town, have a look at this : http://caermynach.blogspot.ca/2014/02/3 ... lcano.html
Moving 50,000 people in 19 hours? That is majorly impressive as well. Any idea how many of them had to relocate? Sounds like a fair percentage.

delsdad
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here
Park: Canadas Top
Department: Concert Hall!
Position: Making Lights Move!

Post by delsdad » Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:32 am

shilohmm wrote: Moving 50,000 people in 19 hours? That is majorly impressive as well. Any idea how many of them had to relocate? Sounds like a fair percentage.
Most moved back eventually. But there was not the infrastructure that we are used to. Roads were bulldozed through ash that was up to the roof lines of some houses, and sometimes the roads went right through the destroyed homes, like trenches through a concrete field. The feel, even when we were there, can only be described as post apocalyptic. But there was no sadness, or desperation. only resignation to the state of things.

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR
Department: Fruity Drink Land
Position: Mai Tai Face Plant

Post by hobie16 » Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:31 pm

My neighbor got a tip on where to find some sea horses. He strapped on his tanks and GoPro and went out to shoot some video. He sent me this still and said video will follow.

Don't be fooled by appearances. In Hawaii, some of the most powerful people look like bums and stuntmen.
--- Matt King

Stay low and run in a zigzag pattern.

ktulu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: ktululand
Department: Custodial
Position: Janitor

Post by ktulu » Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:43 am

hobie16 wrote:My neighbor got a tip on where to find some sea horses. He strapped on his tanks and GoPro and went out to shoot some video. He sent me this still and said video will follow.

Awesome! I looked at the pic and missed the seahorse. I thought this was some desert at first. Looking forward to the video!

"People can drink coke and pepsi, but they can't pee in the street."

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by hobie16 » Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:06 pm

As promised.

[video][/video]

Don't be fooled by appearances. In Hawaii, some of the most powerful people look like bums and stuntmen.
--- Matt King

ktulu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by ktulu » Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:10 pm

Awesome! I need to get a GoPro and start filming. With my limited number of dives, I've already had some cool encounters!

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by hobie16 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:02 pm

ktulu wrote:Awesome! I need to get a GoPro and start filming. With my limited number of dives, I've already had some cool encounters!
The 4 just got announced. Based on what happened with the 3 you should wait a bit so all the software bugs are worked out.

--- Matt King

ktulu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by ktulu » Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:55 am

hobie16 wrote:
ktulu wrote:Awesome! I need to get a GoPro and start filming. With my limited number of dives, I've already had some cool encounters!
The 4 just got announced. Based on what happened with the 3 you should wait a bit so all the software bugs are worked out.
It's on my list, but far down on the list. I want to get my own gear first. That's an easy $1k to start off with most of the stuff to keep me alive. I plan on renting tanks and weights when I travel, but I want my own bcd, regulator, and dive computer.

Main Streeter
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by Main Streeter » Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:40 am

It's on my list, but far down on the list. I want to get my own gear first. That's an easy $1k to start off with most of the stuff to keep me alive. I plan on renting tanks and weights when I travel, but I want my own bcd, regulator, and dive computer.
Kman, I see no problem getting your above wants. Just go to http://www.gofundme.com You so knew I would work this in. :biggrin: