A black princess? It's about frickin' time.

This is a general discussion. If your topic doesn't fit anywhere else, put it here.
Sarah Magdalene
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Re: A black princess? It's about frickin' time.

Post by Sarah Magdalene » Thu Feb 14, 2008 1:27 am

Well, about real body images - what about the plump fairy godmother in Cinderella? There is also the quite heavyweight Ursula in The Little Mermaid. Same for the Chen Po in Mulan. Fairy Mary of the Disney Fairies is also on the bigger side as well. You can also include the heavyweight Heimlich from Bugs Life if you want a "real sized" body, per say. Don't forget the ever so cuddly round Winnie the Pooh.

The characters are there, but you just need to look for them.

[font=Comic Sans MS]"I don’t think I’ve ever made that big a fool of myself, which is really saying something, because I’ve performed at theme parks."[/font]
- Blaine Anderson, GLEE

Amphigorey
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by Amphigorey » Thu Feb 14, 2008 1:58 pm

The bigger characters are there, it's true, but unfortunately they are comic relief, not heroes and heroines. (It plays into the classic stereotype of the jolly fat person.) I think it'll be a while before we see a princess who's bigger than a size 6.

Sarah Magdalene
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by Sarah Magdalene » Thu Feb 14, 2008 2:57 pm

You suppose that having "Non traditional" leading characters would appeal to little girls? Would Caucasian parents take their little girls to see the new movie? Would the little girls ask to see it? Would they want the dolls or toys?

Same with a "Real sized" character. If dolls and figurines were put out of these characters, would they be bought by the general public? Are there any "real sized" dolls in the toy stores now? Would you buy them? Are you buying them?

I think it's all consumerism.

[font=Comic Sans MS]"I don’t think I’ve ever made that big a fool of myself, which is really saying something, because I’ve performed at theme parks."[/font]
- Blaine Anderson, GLEE

BRWombat
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Department: Offsite Harmony
Position: Back Row Baritone

Post by BRWombat » Thu Feb 14, 2008 3:14 pm

Amphigorey wrote:The bigger characters are there, it's true, but unfortunately they are comic relief, not heroes and heroines. (It plays into the classic stereotype of the jolly fat person.) I think it'll be a while before we see a princess who's bigger than a size 6.
Again, Lilo & Stitch --
leading characters:

Image Image Image

Granted, they do have a heavy non-leading comic relief -- sunburned ice cream tourist guy. I am that guy in so many ways.

"This would be a great place if we could only get rid of all these people." - Walt Disney

Image Image
VocalMajority
Twitter

Sarah Magdalene
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by Sarah Magdalene » Thu Feb 14, 2008 3:33 pm

Ha ha ha ha ... Cobra Bubbles!

In toontown we have a Famous African Americans board with bios and pictures of the typical Oprah, MLK, George Washington Carver, etc. Then it seemed that some one then stapled up pictures of Frozone and Little Einsteins "Quincy". They are missing out on Cobra Bubbles!

- Blaine Anderson, GLEE

GRUMPY PIRATE
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by GRUMPY PIRATE » Thu Feb 14, 2008 3:49 pm

Sarah Magdalene wrote:Ha ha ha ha ... Cobra Bubbles!

In toontown we have a Famous African Americans board with bios and pictures of the typical Oprah, MLK, George Washington Carver, etc. Then it seemed that some one then stapled up pictures of Frozone and Little Einsteins "Quincy". They are missing out on Cobra Bubbles!
True!! BTW I noticed that you chose a princess for your avatar! Why not one of the others?

And some of the more "beefy" people are villians!!

:pirateflaARRRRRRR YA DOIN'?

dancinghomer
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by dancinghomer » Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:02 pm

BRWombat wrote:Again, Lilo & Stitch --
leading characters:

Image Image Image

Granted, they do have a heavy non-leading comic relief -- sunburned ice cream tourist guy. I am that guy in so many ways.
I think you missed the 3 leading characters with the unique body shapes. ;)

Light travels faster than sound. Perhaps that is why people appear bright until they open their mouth.

Sarah Magdalene
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by Sarah Magdalene » Thu Feb 14, 2008 5:21 pm

GRUMPY PIRATE wrote:True!! BTW I noticed that you chose a princess for your avatar! Why not one of the others?

And some of the more "beefy" people are villians!!
Well, I admit I'm quite partial to the Princesses, Jasmine being my favorite. I was her for Halloween sometime back. I have a so many Jasmine avatars!

Thin people are villains as well, the anorexic looking Yzma from Emperor's New Groove for example, or the queen from Snow White. Jafar was quite a stick too.

Just gotta say that size 6 and under is quite a "Real Life" size for many people too. They don't starve themselves, they are not all dieters - people can indeed be naturally thin. Same as "healthy" sized people fight to be considered natural as well.

- Blaine Anderson, GLEE

EeyoresButterfly
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by EeyoresButterfly » Thu Feb 14, 2008 6:14 pm

Ah Lilo. I've been "friends" with Lilo before, she is quite the little pudge. We always had to get onto one girl about where she placed her hands, because she used to rest them on her belly, further adding to the illusion that Lilo was pregnant!

Petite and Proud!

Sarah Magdalene
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by Sarah Magdalene » Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:24 pm

EeyoresButterfly wrote:Ah Lilo. I've been "friends" with Lilo before, she is quite the little pudge. We always had to get onto one girl about where she placed her hands, because she used to rest them on her belly, further adding to the illusion that Lilo was pregnant!
Well, she's only 6 years old - baby fat is allowed at that age. ;)

But I do agree that little belly of hers is quite a pooch! She's a friend of mine too.

- Blaine Anderson, GLEE