Rolex

This is a general discussion. If your topic doesn't fit anywhere else, put it here.
hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR
Department: Fruity Drink Land
Position: Mai Tai Face Plant

Rolex

Post by hobie16 » Tue Jan 28, 2020 6:36 pm

Watch This Veteran Collapse on Antiques Roadshow When He Learns His $345 Rolex Is Actually Worth $700,000

Don't be fooled by appearances. In Hawaii, some of the most powerful people look like bums and stuntmen.
--- Matt King

Stay low and run in a zigzag pattern.

lancer21
Wide-eyed Newcomer
Wide-eyed Newcomer
Park: Mer de Sable

Re: Rolex

Post by lancer21 » Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:28 am

I wonder how many treasures like that have been thrown in the garbage or sold for peanuts by owners unaware of their worth... I know that, for example, in Russia, there are people who are buying old Orthodox icons from old people in the countryside for a sum equivalent to several months of retirement pension, and then sell it for dozens of thousands of dollars to collectors and museums abroad. But well, things aren't always that sad, my wife owns several designer brand bags and clothes she bought for bargain bin prices at yard sales, for example!

But the big problem is that you never know what's valuable, what will increase or decrease in value, when and whether it will become collectible or not... So, unless you're owning an original Claude Monet painting or something like one of these houses in Cannes, there's no way to know whether you just bought is going to be a highly sought after antique or some piece of junk barely worth its weight in scrap metal in 50 years!

felinefan
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by felinefan » Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:06 pm

And I thought California was expensive! Wonder what those prices would be in US dollars? Wait, I don't think I want to know.
And the ones that say to ask how much they are? Well, you know the old saying: if you have to ask how much something costs, you probably can't afford it.

lancer21
Wide-eyed Newcomer
Wide-eyed Newcomer
Park: Mer de Sable

Post by lancer21 » Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:14 am

Well, I just googled for the most expensive villas I could find; but yeah, Cannes is to France in terms of real estate prices (and standing) what Beverely Hills or Manhattan are to the USA, that's where the movie stars, CEOs, old money heirs and international sportsmen live.