Where Is Everybody?

This is a general discussion. If your topic doesn't fit anywhere else, put it here.
felinefan
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Re: Where Is Everybody?

Post by felinefan » Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:01 pm

Thanks, lancer!

lancer21
Wide-eyed Newcomer
Wide-eyed Newcomer
Park: Mer de Sable

Post by lancer21 » Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:41 am

You're welcome! I once had the same issue as I dropped my phone, thought everything was lost or that I'd spend more to repair it than I'd have spent to buy a new phone, but no, it was actually affordable to have it fixed, and I got my contacts, pics etc to boot.

felinefan
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by felinefan » Thu May 28, 2020 10:25 am

Well, I ended up buying a new phone--a Motorola E5 smartphone with Android. My favorite feature is that it detects spam calls, and I can block them. I'm gradually rebuilding my contact list.

I and my fellow homeless have been on lockdown since Mar. 27.I'm amazed a full-scale riot hasn't broken out. We don't have internet, though apparently some people are able to watch TV and movies on their phones. I assume they have their own private wifi connection somehow.
I'm on Facebook now, so look for Michele Fritchie and say hello.

felinefan
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by felinefan » Fri Nov 06, 2020 1:02 pm

I'm in the pipeline to get a new apartment around New Year's. My church moved to a new location, and one of the amenities is that I have my own private bathroom with a shower bath! They even bought me my own towels and a bottle of multipurpose liquid soap! I am the only one who can use this one bathroom. It's a furniture store on the ground floor, but it's on it's way out. Our offices are on the second floor; I can return to work next week, but we are still waiting for the permits to go through before we can occupy for worship. So it's either Zoom calls--which don't work at the shelter--or house meetings, which I'm doing. Do I work for the coolest people on the planet, or what?

The other week they let us out to vote early, and I discovered, before leaving, that my registration had expired. So my case manager helped me fill out the online form and printed it out, and I took this and a recent piece of mail to the polls. I was allowed to vote, however they still had my old address, and when they tried to update it, the computer gave them a whale of a time changing it. But I finally got a ballot and voted, and was given a receipt with the tracking number on it. The other day I tried tracking my vote, and when I entered the receipt number, it just sat there, I went to a link on the voting site, and it said my vote hadn't been counted. I contacted the registrar of voters and told them what happened. I think they should go to voting machines that automatically count the votes, as well as require voter's ID. I haven't seen an election like this since Obama was elected, and I remember there was a newspaper article where a reporter went to a home for mentally disabled adults. They said they had been allowed to vote, and when asked who they voted for, one man said, "The black guy." I still think there was vote fraud going on with that election, and I think it's happening with this one. Trump should win, because people are abandoning the Democratic Party in droves over the abuse and corruption in it.

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR
Department: Fruity Drink Land
Position: Mai Tai Face Plant

Post by hobie16 » Sat Nov 07, 2020 2:07 pm

felinefan wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 1:02 pm
Trump should win...
Sure he should. We need a guy who is certified as telling over 22,000 lies, has ignored a pandemic that has killed over 220,000 of our fellow Americans and, according to a Stanford University study, is directly responsible for 700 deaths with his super spreader events. We need a guy who is a white supremacist, a fascist, a clown, homophobic, narcissistic, racist, semi-literate, and, well, you get the idea.

I'm not religious but thank God Biden won.

MAGA (Moscow’s Asset Governing America)

Don't be fooled by appearances. In Hawaii, some of the most powerful people look like bums and stuntmen.
--- Matt King

Stay low and run in a zigzag pattern.

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by hobie16 » Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:49 am

Number of covid related deaths is now 246,526. MAGA indeed.

Don't be fooled by appearances. In Hawaii, some of the most powerful people look like bums and stuntmen.
--- Matt King

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by hobie16 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:43 am

President Donald Trump vowed over a week ago to unleash an imposing barrage of legal challenges to the result of an election that is, and should universally be recognized as, over and done. In a statement last weekend, he vowed that, on Monday, November 7, "Our campaign will start prosecuting our case in court to ensure election laws are fully upheld and the rightful winner is seated."

Well, last Monday has come and gone. Turns out, all Trump's attorneys have delivered is a ridiculous mishmash of lawsuits that run the gamut from weak to entirely meritless to downright frivolous. Trump and his attorneys are humiliating themselves, and they're damaging our democracy in the process.

There's no delicate way to put this: Thus far, Trump, his campaign and their surrogates have gotten absolutely pummeled in the courts. One of the great things about our legal system is that it requires actual proof — not tweets, not public statements, not viral videos — but actual verifiable evidence. And the Trump campaign's efforts to, well, trump up evidence of voter fraud have failed spectacularly.

--- Matt King

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by hobie16 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:17 am

Though a couple COVID-19 vaccines are coming down the pipeline, the Republican-led push to deny that the disease is fatal or even exists has fed into a deep delusion that will likely have dangerous consequences for people in this country beyond 2020.

Case in point: An emergency room nurse in South Dakota—where daily COVID-19 cases have surged to a record average of 1,334 in the last week and hospitals are at capacity—says she’s been dealing with patients on ventilators irate at her for treating them for a disease that they maintain is a hoax.

Yes, you read that right—there are sick patients, people who cannot breathe due to COVID-19, who are angry at receiving treatment for it.

ER nurse Jodi Doering posted about the bizarre behavior of some of her COVID patients on her Twitter page over the weekend.

“The ones that stick out are those who still don’t believe the virus is real. The ones who scream at you for a magic medicine and that Joe Biden is going to ruin the USA. All while gasping for breath on 100% Vapotherm,” said Doering. “They tell you there must be another reason they are sick. They call you names and ask why you have to wear all that “stuff” because they don’t have COVID because it’s not real.”

“They stop yelling at you when they get intubated,” she added.

How fucked up is that? Alongside the outrageousness of not believing in something that has killed over 246,000 Americans and 600 people in South Dakota (because belief is still allowed to supersede clear fact in 2020), is the sickness of people expecting care from beleaguered healthcare workers at the same time as they are berating them. Something is deeply wrong in America.

In an interview Doering explained that the kind of delusion she tweeted about isn’t a rare occurrence and that people are holding onto it even in the face of death.

“It wasn’t one particular patient. It’s just the culmination of so many people,” she said. “Their last dying words are ‘this can’t be happening, it’s not real.’ When they should be spending time Facetiming their families, they’re filled with anger and hatred.”

“People look for anything, People want it to be influenza, they want it to be pneumonia. We’ve even had people say, ‘well maybe it might be lung cancer,’” Doering added.

People would prefer to be diagnosed with cancer than to believe the coronavirus is real. That’s really scary. Whether it’s due to politics or a far more insidious and embedded cultural sickness, the COVID-19 pandemic has revealed a fissure in this country and we now all have to deal with its fatal consequences.

Any desire to care about people seems to have been overruled by a love of the lies peddled by Republicans in power, like Trump, who have access to specialized treatment that most of the country could never afford should they be infected.

--- Matt King

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by hobie16 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:01 am

Dolly Parton has done more to stop the coronavirus than the President of the United States.

Dolly Parton helped fund Moderna's Covid-19 vaccine research

--- Matt King

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by hobie16 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:57 am

From the NY Times...

"When Mr. Trump said the election was rigged, it apparently meant that he was trying to rig it by suppressing votes, preventing them from being counted and now trying to overturn the counts in court. An analysis from The Washington Post found that Mr. Trump and his allies have sought to throw out nearly one in 10 votes cast in states that decided the election. It is all too easy to imagine similar tactics becoming standard fare in future national, state and local elections.

Mr. Trump already has persuaded millions of people to disregard the dangers of the coronavirus and has made refusing to wear masks a point of pride for his supporters. Imagine what will happen when more Americans share his contempt for democracy."

Republicans Supporting Trump, Remember: Lies Have a Long Half-Life

--- Matt King