Stories from the Train Platform...

All other Theme Park Employees post your stupid guest tricks here. This forum is not for general Theme Park discussion. Please use the Break Room, for non stupid guest trick topics.
Big Wallaby
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Re: Stories from the Train Platform...

Post by Big Wallaby » Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:37 am

I have had the experience with the little girl who didn't want to ride. I've had that one turn out both ways: The child pulled the restraint back down, or the child left. Either way, it was their choice and I never forced the issue.

Now with adults and older teens, it was a different story. And I would work to get them more scared.

I found with certain cultures, on Doom it was really fun to end restraint checks by crossing yourself. That, and counting down from ten so that they would launch somewhere around three, or counting down so that I would reach zero, repeat myself a couple times, contemplate the problem as to why it wasn't launching, etc.

I feel like I should feel bad about that.

But kids... I would never scare them unless they wanted to be scared. And I never made a child ride who didn't want to.

My opinions are mine and mine only. If my opinions are the opinion of others who happen to share whatever my crazy views may be, then fine, but it's not because I represent them in having my opinions. Got it?

Dexter32
Wide-eyed Newcomer
Wide-eyed Newcomer

Post by Dexter32 » Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:15 am

I'm with ya wallaby, I don't feel it is appropriate to scare the little ones. I will have to remember crossing myself. Two of the seats were giving us issues so we took them out of service. Even with them out of service the ride computer wouldn't ignore them so while we were getting ready to cycle the ride myself or the platform operator would have to almost literally beat the crap out of the seat to get the sensors to show that the seat was locked.

This actually lead to quite a bit of concern from guests. Each time I was asked what the problem was. I'd tell them the problem wasn't with their seat so they were fine. I think that made them more nervous.

With our Halloween event coming up there will definitely be more opportunities to jack with guests. Drunk guests at that. I was also trained on tilt-a-hurl. Both attractions I am currently trained on have a high barf factor. The upside is I don't have to clean it, we have a team of people that take care of that. The downside is I'm trained on two attractions with a high barf factor....

I will have to look up the story of the negligent parents.

I heard a rumor that once on Spincycle, our attraction that goes upside down and spins, a guest tossed their cookies while the vehicle was at the top of the swing. I know what to do if it happens, I'm just praying loudly that it doesn't happen while I'm at console.

BRWombat
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Department: Offsite Harmony
Position: Back Row Baritone

Post by BRWombat » Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:35 am

One of my favorite memories is the first time my boys and I rode Expedition: Everest. My older son was especially nervous about it, and of course as a loving dad I wasn't doing anything to settle his nerves. But he had finally gotten me to back down and stop playing on his fears when we reached load -- and I'll never forget the CM there, a man who spoke with an Indian accent. As Brandon passed him, he got the saddest look on his face and, shaking his head, just repeated two words:

"So young... so young..."

:biggrin:

Big Wallaby
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by Big Wallaby » Sat Oct 11, 2014 7:42 am

Wombat, that is something I would eventually think to do, though I could not copy the Indian accent well. I would love to meet that Cast Member. Best part is, it totally fits with the storyline of the ride.

My opinions are mine and mine only. If my opinions are the opinion of others who happen to share whatever my crazy views may be, then fine, but it's not because I represent them in having my opinions. Got it?

Zazu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: WDW
Position: retired

Post by Zazu » Sat Oct 11, 2014 9:00 am

That reminds me of the best line I ever heard from a Haunted Mansion cast member. She had just opened the doors, and looked a bit surprise to see us, then turned behind her and said, "Put them back in the freezer, Igor. The fresh bodies have been delivered."

Dexter32
Wide-eyed Newcomer
Wide-eyed Newcomer

Post by Dexter32 » Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:09 am

Wow, you guys have had some cool experiences! We are two weeks into Halloween operations. Basically it's north idaho's answer to Knott's Scary Farm. I will say that the mazes we have are very well done. From what I saw during cast preview of the Zombie Train I have no idea if they pulled it together or not but when I saw it a couple of days before opening they were a hot mess.

This past Saturday was our busiest night so far. I got groped by a drunk guest. Considering she was drunk I have no idea what she was thinking or hoping for. In all honesty she's lucky I didn't beat her with my ride stick. I am very much a no touchy kind of person. If I know you the rules are significantly different. If I don't know you, don't touch me, it's pretty much that simple. Anyway, we had finished unloading our guests and I was letting the new group of guests in when miss thing stumbled up behind me and wrapped her arms around me. I did one of these :confused: and about that time one of her friends came over and pulled her off me.

Later that evening a guest started screaming at me from the queue that I needed to call security. When I turned around to see what was going on. It appeared the entire queue had stopped to stare at a woman that passed out in line. I called for security and first aid and while there is not a protocol or policy that covers that particular situation I sort of winged it. I had my second operator talk to the guests that we had just locked into the ride while I closed the line and kept people away from the area while first aid showed up.

From what I understand as it gets closer to Halloween, more and more of our guests are going to do this :biggulp: before arriving at the park so I have a feeling this next weekend coming up is going to be interesting.

Big Wallaby
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by Big Wallaby » Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:18 am

As someone who works in a bar, I have come to two conclusions:

First, I am never, ever drinking another drop of anything with alcohol in public, except among close friends. Some people here can tell some stories, and that's as far as I want it to go.

Second, though, I understand the drink as a part of an experience such as a Halloween theme park setup... but the need to go out drinking first? Heck, I understand (though I won't do it myself) going and getting wasted afterward and/or during, but before?

Oh, and those jello or test tube shots that you can get while waiting in line? I recommend staying away from them. By the time they make it into whatever format you see, you're getting one proof if you're lucky, for that $8 or $10 for the not-even-half-a-shot. Meanwhile, as someone who likes the business, I love these things for those not in the know. Very profitable, to say the least.

Dexter32
Wide-eyed Newcomer
Wide-eyed Newcomer

Post by Dexter32 » Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:27 pm

I totally understand what you mean Big Wallaby.

We serve alcohol in the park, there are only two venues that I am aware of that actually sell liquor but I believe our Saloon is closed, so the only place to get a drink is from our bar at the front of the park. It is my understanding that most of our guests preflight because we charge an arm and a leg for booze. As an employee of the park I am forbidden from drinking alcohol in the park if I am on duty or not. If I enter as a guest I cannot partake from the saloon nor the bar. I can get non-alcoholic drinks if I want but that's the extent of what I am allowed. I'm not a drinker so it really doesn't bother me.

We have quite a few thrill rides that operate during our event. From what I can gather, our guests apparently think it is more thrilling to ride the rides while inebriated. Not having ever been drunk, I have no point of reference.