Universal closing Jaws ride

All other Theme Park Employees post your stupid guest tricks here. This forum is not for general Theme Park discussion. Please use the Break Room, for non stupid guest trick topics.
WEDFan
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Re: Universal closing Jaws ride

Post by WEDFan » Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:15 pm

Mr. D. wrote:They going to turn it into another Harry Potter attraction?
Doctor McKey wrote:Being a Universal employee, I can not release any information that I may know about any changes to the park... but what I can say is that JKR and Warner Brothers would never allow Potter to be split between the two parks. When Potter is ready to expand, it will be in the space adjacent to where it is now...

The Doctor
Cheshire Figment wrote:They are going to have a tunnel over to IOA and expand Harry Potter. The tunnel will, of course, have slidewalks as at many airports.
Interestingly enough...

Rumor from another site...

Mr. D.
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by Mr. D. » Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:25 pm

WEDFan wrote:Interestingly enough...

Rumor from another site...
One wonders why they don't just close the park, tear out all the attractions and turn it into one big Harry Potter theme park... But then let's not give any ideas to Disney and their AK Avatar plans.

avengador1
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by avengador1 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:34 pm

Whatever they are going to build it is going to be big. I looked at a Google Earth picture and it shows a lot of ground being worked behind the ride.

hhsrat
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by hhsrat » Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:29 pm

Didn't they try to close this ride a few years ago?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10thnMMfWTw

The views and opinions expressed in this post do not represent those of the Walt Disney Company. This post was written while off the clock and off WDW property. Caution: The moving rubber line is travelling at the same speed as you.

Darksin
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by Darksin » Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:24 pm

The Google Earth and Google Map images are old, those are going to be Apartments which where already going up on 2010 last time we where down in Florida.

I really, can't honestly see this being an WWoHP expansion. Personally I think Doctor McKey is right, splitting it between the two parks would not only be silly but their going to have to tear-down and move a lot of stuff in the backlot. I can't even understand where these HP rumors are coming from other then that was the last big announcement Universal made.

[font="Arial Narrow"]~*Crazy Girls have all the Fun*~[/font]
Theme Park News and Tales of Crazy-The Blog!

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR
Department: Fruity Drink Land
Position: Mai Tai Face Plant

Post by hobie16 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:35 pm

Darksin wrote:I can't even understand where these HP rumors are coming from other then that was the last big announcement Universal made.
Unoriginal thinking or, in anything to do with Harry Potter, magical thinking.

Don't be fooled by appearances. In Hawaii, some of the most powerful people look like bums and stuntmen.
--- Matt King

Stay low and run in a zigzag pattern.

Big Wallaby
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by Big Wallaby » Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:34 am

Yes, those apartments are complete and people live there now.

As far as Amity becoming London, I see a major problem with that, just by looking at a map of UOR. Amity is about as far north in the USF park as you can get, and WWoHP is about as far northwest as you can get at IoA. Problem comes when you look at the distance between the two.

In that problem could be an opportunity, though. I have had an idea for combining simulation (such as Star Tours) with a moving platform... In a way, Forbidden Journey captures the beginning of my idea. But to create an actual transport that uses motion from the vehicle, combined with what is on the screen and a simulator would make that work perfectly, since a transportation system between the two locations would have to cover almost 3,000 feet... And that's if they just made it a straight line and bulldozed everything in the way. So round-trip, you're looking at well over a mile. So what does that mean?

Plenty of transport time to create a really cool ride, if you wanted to do it that way.

The biggest problem then, though, is who gets inconvenienced, what gets moved, and what does it have to go around?

Overall, I am going to say no, I don't think Amity is gonna become London. However, if Harry Potter is going to expand, it would certainly be an interesting way to do it.

It would also be cool if, by creating a London area at USF, they then were took a position to perhaps have, say, a BBC area.

Just thinking out loud here...

My opinions are mine and mine only. If my opinions are the opinion of others who happen to share whatever my crazy views may be, then fine, but it's not because I represent them in having my opinions. Got it?

WEDFan
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by WEDFan » Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:46 pm

I may have posted the link, but I haven't got a clue how likely or not it is. I've followed the website for years and they have a pretty good track record, but no where near perfect for rumors.

All that being said, it would certainly make sense from a purely business perspective. WWoHP has increased the gate on one park, so now there is a disparity between the two. Adding the same draw to the other park would help equalize crowds, and essentially double the return on their investment as far as the intellectual property is concerned. From a thematic point of view, it does separate nicely with Hogwarts and London.

It might frustrate some people since they would have to get admission to two parks in order to get the full experience. That, I think, might be the only thing Rowling would object to, as long as the quality was there for both parts.

As far as the logistics and georgraphy goes, as I said at the start, I'm clueless.

Darksin
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by Darksin » Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:25 pm

Well, WWoHP will expand just no details about How/When/Where yet.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/travel/a ... 7369.story

[font="Arial Narrow"]~*Crazy Girls have all the Fun*~[/font]
Theme Park News and Tales of Crazy-The Blog!

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR
Department: Fruity Drink Land
Position: Mai Tai Face Plant

Post by hobie16 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:40 pm

Universal LA trying to catch up.

Don't be fooled by appearances. In Hawaii, some of the most powerful people look like bums and stuntmen.
--- Matt King

Stay low and run in a zigzag pattern.