Subway Stupids

All other Theme Park Employees post your stupid guest tricks here. This forum is not for general Theme Park discussion. Please use the Break Room, for non stupid guest trick topics.
KingsIslander
Regular Guest
Regular Guest
Park: Kings Island

Subway Stupids

Post by KingsIslander » Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:39 am

At the Subway at my park, you order on one side of the stand ("ORDER HERE"), and pay at the end of the line ("PAY HERE"). It's clearly marked, and the handrails make it obvious what to do. Easy, right? Apparently not. If I had a dollar for every time a guest walked up to my register and started ordering food, I'd be rich. I finally started asking, "Are you ordering a sandwich, or just drinks?". Of course, they said "Ordering a sub." and looked at me as if I were stupid. "Order at the other end, pay over here."

Also, each sub is the same price, $5.99 for a six-inch (yep...). So, even if the guest has a turkey sub, I can hit whatever button I want (usually I hit veggie or BMT). It doesn't usually matter, unless the guest wants a recipt.
"Excuse me, but I got a cold cut trio, but you charged me for a BMT."
"Oh, actually, all the subs are the same price. I didn't see which one you had, so I just put it in as that."
"But that's not what I ordered."
"It's the same price as what you ordered. The only difference is what it's called in the register."
"But it's not what I ordered."
"Ma'am, there's not really much I can do. All I can do is refund your order and put it in again as a cold cut trio, but all that'll do is change what it says on the recipt, it would still be the same price."

This went on for quite a while. I finally ended up getting my sup to talk to her.

&quot wrote: "You can't arrest me for jogging on the railroad tracks!"
2010-2011: Food and Beverage
2012-Present: Admissions/Park Operations

glendalais
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Re: Subway Stupids

Post by glendalais » Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:54 am

KingsIslander wrote:Also, each sub is the same price, $5.99 for a six-inch (yep...). So, even if the guest has a turkey sub, I can hit whatever button I want (usually I hit veggie or BMT). It doesn't usually matter, unless the guest wants a recipt.
"Excuse me, but I got a cold cut trio, but you charged me for a BMT."
"Oh, actually, all the subs are the same price. I didn't see which one you had, so I just put it in as that."
"But that's not what I ordered."
"It's the same price as what you ordered. The only difference is what it's called in the register."
"But it's not what I ordered."
"Ma'am, there's not really much I can do. All I can do is refund your order and put it in again as a cold cut trio, but all that'll do is change what it says on the recipt, it would still be the same price."
Oddly enough, at Disney, Cast Members can and are disciplined for doing that. It messes terribly with our inventories on food and supplies when Cast Members press the wrong button, even if it comes up the same price.

Freak
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by Freak » Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:00 am

Yeah, that's a big no-no for us because too, because it messes with inventory.

One time I had someone "sell" a different item that was the same price as the item the guest was purchasing (and the item the guest was purchasing was not on the register's current list of items) on a cart just so they could use the credit card machine. That didn't go over too well. Granted they purchased two things from them, the inventory was askew because it showed them selling two totally different items.

RIP Bud Hurlbut.

You will be missed.

GRUMPY PIRATE
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by GRUMPY PIRATE » Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:29 pm

Like some other posters point out, I would think that the different keys on the register at subway would be used by management to track sales and to order product.

Did you notice that the store was getting a large amount of veggie or bmt inventory? :rolleyes:

not only that, but if you sell so many veggie and BMT sandwiches, wouldn't someone start to ask why you were "missing" the amount of cold cuts, etc. that the store did not sale? (according to the register tapes)

:pirateflaARRRRRRR YA DOIN'?

KingsIslander
Regular Guest
Regular Guest
Park: Kings Island

Post by KingsIslander » Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:23 pm

We don't use the registers for tracking inventory, because it wouldn't account for product thrown away because of guests who have their food made, then refuse to pay for it when they're told the price (yep, there's a menu with prices right above their head, but they ignore it). I was actually told by the supervisor that it didn't matter which button. I guess the only reason that there are multiple buttons instead of just one is that, well, that's how they set it up. Our registers at my normal location has items that we haven't sold for years, or never actually did sell, and it is missing items that we do sell (we still don't have a button for a item that we sell all the time). I guess the only time they can update the registers is when we raise prices. :rolleyes:

&quot wrote: "You can't arrest me for jogging on the railroad tracks!"
2010-2011: Food and Beverage
2012-Present: Admissions/Park Operations

GRUMPY PIRATE
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by GRUMPY PIRATE » Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:17 pm

they should just replace the register with one that only has ten buttons, then you can just punch in the price. :cool:

but that would probably result in too many errors. :p:

:pirateflaARRRRRRR YA DOIN'?

5th Dimension
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by 5th Dimension » Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:21 pm

I want to hear the rest of the story.

And BTW, aren't the Subways in WDW cast locations more expensive then normal ones? I wouldn't go into a Subway normally, so I don't know.

kurtisnelson
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here
Park: WDPR
Department: Industrial Engineeri
Position: Former

Post by kurtisnelson » Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:44 pm

5th Dimension wrote:I want to hear the rest of the story.

And BTW, aren't the Subways in WDW cast locations more expensive then normal ones? I wouldn't go into a Subway normally, so I don't know.
No $5 footlongs...

Kurt

turkeyham
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by turkeyham » Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:35 am

Foot long subs range $5 to $6 out towards us. At the airport $7 and includes: 6 inch sub, chips and a drink.

kcberlin
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by kcberlin » Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:28 pm

5th Dimension wrote:I want to hear the rest of the story.

I thought the original poster was from King's Island...

The opinions expressed here may not be those of kcberlin. Sometimes I just like to stir shit.:twisted: