Ride Break Down is "Traumatic"

All other Theme Park Employees post your stupid guest tricks here. This forum is not for general Theme Park discussion. Please use the Break Room, for non stupid guest trick topics.
GRUMPY PIRATE
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Re: Ride Break Down is "Traumatic"

Post by GRUMPY PIRATE » Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:34 am

Big Wallaby wrote:The same way a roller coaster wheel or train wheel can go flat, I am sure. But being wood instead of silicone or metal, I would imagine it's a much faster process.
most of the wagons I grew up around had metal on the wheels around the rim of the wooden wheel. pretty sturdy.

but those wagons were mostly reporductions and not used in everyday farming. they only brought them out during parades or on display at the county fair.

road in one for about a quarer mile, I can't imagine riding in one across country for months on end. gives you a whole new respect for the men and women that did. (no wonder a lot of them walked next to the wagon!!:rolleyes :)

:pirateflaARRRRRRR YA DOIN'?

Freak
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by Freak » Sat Oct 09, 2010 2:20 pm

Coaster wheels can produce deformities in them, but I can only recall one occurrence where a coaster wheel literally exploded. That was back when Goliath @ Six Flags opened. The polyurethane used was not treated for the high temps that the train was producing, and it literally melted and flew off the wheel on the brake run.

Other than that, coaster wheels actually take a long long time to go "flat" so to say. I remember Xcelerator ran on a set of wheels for years, producing cracks in them even, before we changed them out.

RIP Bud Hurlbut.

You will be missed.

felinefan
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by felinefan » Sat Oct 09, 2010 2:30 pm

When Big Thunder had that accident, didn't one of the wheels fracture?

Amish buggies are prone to getting hit by cars which can really cause damage--and not just to the wheels, either.

Has anyone besides me seen that greeting card titled, "Amish Road Rage"?

"Place it up thy butter churn!"
"Get thee out of the way, Yoder!"
"Thy mother weareth army boots!"

Actually, the Amish don't use King James English; that was the Quakers, a completely different sect.

EeyoresButterfly
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by EeyoresButterfly » Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:23 pm

Update: I found out that it was not season passes for the next year, it was season passes for life! The manager had told her she could skip the line after we reopened, but that wasn't good enough. Rumor is that she also wrote a letter to the general manager of the park as well (and no, she did not receive any compensation).

Petite and Proud!

Lasolimu
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by Lasolimu » Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:44 pm

EeyoresButterfly wrote:Update: I found out that it was not season passes for the next year, it was season passes for life! The manager had told her she could skip the line after we reopened, but that wasn't good enough. Rumor is that she also wrote a letter to the general manager of the park as well (and no, she did not receive any compensation).
I'm 'sensitive' and I was pulled out of a train on Space Mountain after it started last time I was in DLR, can I get free season passes for life? :p:

</sarcasm>

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Main Streeter
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by Main Streeter » Sun Dec 05, 2010 5:07 pm

Lasolimu wrote:can I get free season passes for life? :p:

</sarcasm>
Sure you can Laso! In your dreams. ;)

"You work here? You must be SO rich!"

RESCUE A PET! [font="Arial Black"]Within the heart of every stray Lies the singular desire to be loved.[/font]

Zazu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: WDW
Position: retired

Post by Zazu » Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:21 pm

felinefan wrote:Has anyone besides me seen that greeting card titled, "Amish Road Rage"?
What goes, "Clip-clop, clip-clop, clip-clop, BANG! Clip-clop, clip-clop, clip-clop?"

An Amish drive-by shooting.

Zazu

Lasolimu
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by Lasolimu » Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:07 pm

Main Streeter wrote:Sure you can Laso! In your dreams. ;)
It was actually kind of funny because we had someone in our group with really bad gremlins, he's crashed an uno attack card shooter...multiple times, and so we blamed him...and tried to keep track of everything he 'broke' and that was the beginning of the first day. It really wasn't anything, I guess there was a safety problem with the train so they decided to take it off the circuit. So we all got to sit tight while they pulled us all off before taking it back and getting us back on the ride.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Freak
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by Freak » Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:28 am

Yeah, I got pulled from Space a couple times since I'm so dang fat. No big deal.

RIP Bud Hurlbut.

You will be missed.

techie-13
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by techie-13 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:59 am

Lasolimu wrote:It was actually kind of funny because we had someone in our group with really bad gremlins, he's crashed an uno attack card shooter...multiple times, and so we blamed him...and tried to keep track of everything he 'broke' and that was the beginning of the first day. It really wasn't anything, I guess there was a safety problem with the train so they decided to take it off the circuit. So we all got to sit tight while they pulled us all off before taking it back and getting us back on the ride.
His initials wouldn't be J.B. would they? I knew a guy that claimed to have bad luck on every trip to Disney. Multiple attraction breakdowns and a car that got broken into. :rolleyes: