Tax Not Included... Except for me, because I'm special!

All other Theme Park Employees post your stupid guest tricks here. This forum is not for general Theme Park discussion. Please use the Break Room, for non stupid guest trick topics.
Zazu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: WDW
Position: retired

Re: Tax Not Included... Except for me, because I'm special!

Post by Zazu » Tue May 11, 2010 9:27 pm

delsdad wrote:What is a BIA# and the N A group?
BIA# = Bureau of Indian Affairs ID number

N A group = Native American group (Newspeak for "tribe")

Zazu

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR
Department: Fruity Drink Land
Position: Mai Tai Face Plant

Post by hobie16 » Tue May 11, 2010 11:50 pm

How about Voodoo Donuts!

Don't be fooled by appearances. In Hawaii, some of the most powerful people look like bums and stuntmen.
--- Matt King

Stay low and run in a zigzag pattern.

Ms. Matterhorn
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by Ms. Matterhorn » Wed May 12, 2010 11:52 am

turkeyham wrote:I only know where 1 crispy creme is and that is at the Block. Ok, a mall about 2 miles from Disneyland. But the doughnuts are soo exspensive. Over $1.99 for a over sweetened doughnut. The best that I have tasted us in Long Beach. It is called Rossmoor Pastries. Off of Redondo and Spring Street. I believe the doughnuts are still 50 cents. ;)
I remember Rossmoor Pastries when they were in Rossmoor! Didn't know they were still around. Their brownies were the best!

"Excuse me, are those ducks real?"
"Yes, sir, but the water is fake."

turkeyham
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by turkeyham » Wed May 12, 2010 9:14 pm

Rossmoor Pastries were across from Albertson's. They are still around and every item that they sell is fresh and yummy. :)

Rob562
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by Rob562 » Thu May 13, 2010 3:02 am

Shorty82 wrote:Florida is the same way. No tax on grocery items (non-prepared food items) and no prepared food with food stamps.
Here in Mass, groceries have no tax.

State sales tax was bumped from 5% up to 6.25% last year, and they allowed local towns to add up to 0.75% more on prepared food. So some places you're paying 6.25%, others are 7%.

But because we don't have tax on clothing (and I assume shoes fall under that), my family always does a lot of their clothes shopping when they visit from Virginia. ;)

Some people drive across the border into tax-free New Hampshire for big purchases, but technically you're still supposed pay the "use tax" on those items when filing you state tax return, though almost noone does it.
There was a time where someone in the Mass state gov't tried to get NH tire & auto stores to collect Mass tax on tire purchases when the tires were installed onto cars with Mass plates. That didn't happen...

-Rob

Cranbiz
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by Cranbiz » Thu May 13, 2010 9:18 am

Rob562 wrote:Here in Mass, groceries have no tax.

State sales tax was bumped from 5% up to 6.25% last year, and they allowed local towns to add up to 0.75% more on prepared food. So some places you're paying 6.25%, others are 7%.

But because we don't have tax on clothing (and I assume shoes fall under that), my family always does a lot of their clothes shopping when they visit from Virginia. ;)

Some people drive across the border into tax-free New Hampshire for big purchases, but technically you're still supposed pay the "use tax" on those items when filing you state tax return, though almost noone does it.
There was a time where someone in the Mass state gov't tried to get NH tire & auto stores to collect Mass tax on tire purchases when the tires were installed onto cars with Mass plates. That didn't happen...

-Rob
And people wonder why I left MA 6.25%-7% sales tax, State income tax (did they ever eliminate the .5% temporary surtax?) and a liberal democrat gov who decided to tax those who don't have state approved health insurance. Not to mention high property taxes and snow.

No longer the Wearer of Purple Pants

No longer a General in the Bolivian Army!

"The views and opinions expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily represent or reflect those of The Walt Disney Company."

Mayonnaise
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by Mayonnaise » Thu May 13, 2010 3:48 pm

On my New York State Tax return, they ask me to report anything I bought over the internet or out of state that didn't have sales tax, and pay NYS the sales task then.

We don't tax groceries here either, but we do tax restaurant food. Foodstamps are only good on groceries... but I don't know having never been on them, if there's any restriction there... they might be able to get prepared food from the in-supermarket counters with them.

I'm not sure if we tax non-restaurant packaged prepared foods, like those vacuum sealed sandwiches from convenient stores.

8^|

Mad Maxx
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by Mad Maxx » Fri May 14, 2010 3:40 pm

Mayonnaise wrote:On my New York State Tax return, they ask me to report anything I bought over the internet or out of state that didn't have sales tax, and pay NYS the sales task then.
CA does the same thing.

I remember there being something back east a while ago where Amazon was going to be made to charge Sales Tax on items sold to one state. They argued they had no operation in the state. State said that they had Amazon Affiliates in that State and they qualified as doing business in that State, so pay up/ Amazon responded by cutting off all Affiliates in that state and sent them a letter saying that the state legislature did it to them when they wanted to start charging sales tax on items due to their affiliate status. Never did hear how that resolved...

Cheshire Figment
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by Cheshire Figment » Fri May 14, 2010 9:22 pm

For years DC has had the lowest liquor taxes in the country (because Congress is there) while the surrounding states were fairly high. Pennsylvania was so high that people would drive all the way to DC and go to one of the larger retail stores there prices were very low.

The PA tax people would stake out one of the stores occasionally and look for cars with PA tag that were loading several cases into the car. They would then tail them all the way through Maryland ind into PA and then bust them. Confiscate everything and then take action to confiscate the car also.

hrcollectibles
Wide-eyed Newcomer
Wide-eyed Newcomer

Post by hrcollectibles » Thu May 20, 2010 5:51 am

I was standing inline at a Sweet Tomatoes. The Stupid Guest that was in front of me asked the cashier why she had to pay sales tax on her dinner. Her reasoning... She doesn't have to pay tax on food items at the grocery store so why does she have to pay tax at a salad bar :confused: Umm has this person never checked their receipt at a restaurant? Last time I checked anytime you dine anywhere you pay tax