Stiffing the Wait Staff

All other Theme Park Employees post your stupid guest tricks here. This forum is not for general Theme Park discussion. Please use the Break Room, for non stupid guest trick topics.
delsdad
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here
Park: Canadas Top
Department: Concert Hall!
Position: Making Lights Move!

Re: Stiffing the Wait Staff

Post by delsdad » Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:40 pm

Mayonnaise wrote:My LARP group had an unfortunate incident, as well... (what with the large group splitting the bill) but what the cheepasses didn't realize was, they only succeeded in stiffing the guy who was collecting the money, because he made sure the waitstaff got tipped right, and then reamed everyone out at the next meeting.

Now we only go to Denny's because he still hasn't been paid back by the folk who shorted on the bill, and at Denny's they can give us a bill by seat, so everyone's responsible for their own bill and tip and he doesn't get stiffed again.

8^S
Good on the guy who made sure the server was looked after. THis kind of thing is why servers hate groups. Usually they are lucky to get any tip at all.

My parents have stopped dining out with friends of theirs, who refuse to tip. The fellow is loaded, and used to own a restaurant, he should know better. Dad says it is very embarrassing to have this guy pick up the tab, leave no tip (in spite of great service) and then the guy wont let dad leave the tip for the table. He has actually gone back and removed a cash tip my dad left, handing it back to my dad outside the restaurant !

In Ontario the minimum wage for servers is about $3 lower than for any other positions, by law. The government expects you to tip your server. And taxes them as if you did. Therefore if you don't tip, it is actually money out of the servers pocket. He's paying tax as if you did. I would be in favor of manditory service charges as soon as the table asks to split the check.

I actually approve of the mandatory service charge added by WDW when I use my tables in Wonderland card. It ensures that the server is looked after, and that the servers don't start disliking serving guests with the discount cards. Often people who use discounts or coupons cheap out on tipping. Disney has taken a step to prevent this problem.

Rob562
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by Rob562 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:40 am

delsdad wrote:Good on the guy who made sure the server was looked after. THis kind of thing is why servers hate groups. Usually they are lucky to get any tip at all.
Then there's the once-in-a-great-while where it really works out well for the server...
I recall one time back in high school at a post-performance cast party at Denny's that everyone tossed in money as they left, but almost everyone over-paid, and we ended up leaving the server over a 50% tip... :eek:

-Rob

darph nader
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by darph nader » Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:31 am

Years ago I and another gal worked a wedding party. My dad told us to keep track of the empty bottles so he could chage them accordingly. The only thing were to charge for was canned/bottled beer and sodas.
The party was 'supposed' to be 75 people,it was more like 200. Mistakes were made and people were charged for 'prepaid' drinks. (every single one got their $ back) After 3hrs we had made $4.75 in tips. :o: As the party was winding down,a couple who was in the back of the hall were leaveing and the guy dropped two $20.00 in the tip jar for us,and they weren't even drinking. I told my dad what had happened so nothing would go wrong the next day. Well the mother of the bride started chewing out my dad and he jumped her frame back,,,mostly about the number of people who showed up.
Worst party we ever worked. The best one were the German/American Club parties. :cool:

Beer....The reason I get up every,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,afternoon.

Cheshire Figment
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by Cheshire Figment » Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:16 pm

When I was at work and we went out as a group, I was always elected to do the bill splitting (and it was an Accounting office). But I would add up for each person what they had ordered, add the tax and a tip amount above 15% and then round up to the nearest 25¢. Everyone knew I would do it honestly, accurately and quickly.