Loose articles!

All other Theme Park Employees post your stupid guest tricks here. This forum is not for general Theme Park discussion. Please use the Break Room, for non stupid guest trick topics.
EeyoresButterfly
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Loose articles!

Post by EeyoresButterfly » Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:08 am

Okay, so the coaster I am now working is inverted. Before every train we instruct guests to take off their flip flops, cell phones, etc. and place them in cubbies before getting on the train. I can't tell you the number of people that try to ride with flip flops on. Ummmm, let's think about this for just a second. How do you plan to keep them on your feet? Yesterday one lady tried to hold a gallon sized Ziploc bag of stuff. It's amazing the things they think they can bring on the coaster. Did I mention it's an inverted? This means no room to place anything.

And don't even get me started on cell phones! We have 5 or 6 a day that fall out of pockets. Even if we find them, they rarely survive the trip. The things we find on track walks are amazing, my favorite so far is a bank card.

The absolute worst though is when people lose their shoes. There are very few things we will track walk for. Shoes are one of them since you have to have them in the park. My second day my lead was getting ready to take me to panel test. A family came up and said their son had lost a shoe. Turns out the kid's sneaker had fallen off. We track walked (we can walk around the majority of our track while the ride is in motion) and sure enough, the shoe was in a restricted area, otherwise known as a "low zone". We had to down the ride and call in the supervisors to come get the shoe. We've had several peple lose sneakers on the ride. I dont see how that is possible unless you just don't tie your shoes. :confused:

The other thing is when you tell them they have to put something away and they want to know if it is safe. I had a guest get onto me because he didn't want anybody stealing his 30 year old hat. Here's a tip: If it's that valuable, or that precious to you- don't bring it into the park! If you don't want to leave your purse in the station, rent a locker or get a small waist pack that you can shove your money in. It's really not that hard.

Petite and Proud!

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR
Department: Fruity Drink Land
Position: Mai Tai Face Plant

Re: Loose articles!

Post by hobie16 » Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:48 am

EeyoresButterfly wrote:A family came up and said their son had lost a shoe. Turns out the kid's sneaker had fallen off. We track walked (we can walk around the majority of our track while the ride is in motion) and sure enough, the shoe was in a restricted area, otherwise known as a "low zone". We had to down the ride and call in the supervisors to come get the shoe. We've had several peple lose sneakers on the ride. I dont see how that is possible unless you just don't tie your shoes. :confused:
Was he a member of Run/DMC?

Don't be fooled by appearances. In Hawaii, some of the most powerful people look like bums and stuntmen.
--- Matt King

Stay low and run in a zigzag pattern.

Syndrome
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by Syndrome » Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:08 am

You need to show them the video cam scene from Final Destination 3. "See that, SG? That's what happens when you drop loose items on a coaster!"

"If you are a dee, please don't marry a dee, 'cause then your kids will be dee dee dee." ....Carlos Mencia

"It's the difference between champagne and carbonated pee!" ....Homer Simpson

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Nice work, pal

joanna71985
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by joanna71985 » Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:18 pm

I wonder why common sense is so hard sometimes.

[font="Comic Sans MS"]
I will be your guide for this magical journey into the movies. It's the perfect job for me, because I love movies! Is everybody ready? Great, because it's showtime. Ready when you are, CB!
[/font]

Shorty82
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by Shorty82 » Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:15 pm

joanna71985 wrote:I wonder why common sense is so hard sometimes.
Because common sense ain't so common.

Yeah, I know wording it that way is very southern and all but that's how I say that phrase (I was born and raised in the deep South, what can I say?)

Around here, however, we don’t look backwards for very long.

We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things, because we're curious…
and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths.

-Walt Disney
:wwwd:
Keep moving forward

Anna
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by Anna » Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:37 am

I worked at Lost and Found at a popular themepark in Orlando. Besides the normal items found such as shoes, wallets, passports, money, credit cards, hats, glasses, car keys, cellphones and cameras, we found several unusual items.

Left in the parking lot: a full size upright Hoover vacuum cleaner and a large computer monitor. I suspect these were in the back of an SUV and they were rearranging things to load or unload and then forgot them.

Found on attractions: wigs, gold teeth, false teeth, retainer (for teeth), fake IDs, bras, "weed", insulin pack with needles, and several personal wheelchairs and ECVs (I never could figure out how someone could forget their ECV), and huge cheerleading trophys. Twice people have lost prosthetic legs on one of our coasters.

I had a team member who cleans the restrooms and barely speaks English, turn in a fanny pack with over $17,000 in it. That's more money than she makes in a year. She didn't even think twice about turning it in. The money was in all crisp new hundred dollar bills bundled in groups of ten. Inside that bag with the money was the passports of a family from Holland and one cellphone.

hhsrat
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by hhsrat » Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:37 am

Anna wrote:I worked at Lost and Found at a popular themepark in Orlando. Besides the normal items found such as shoes, wallets, passports, money, credit cards, hats, glasses, car keys, cellphones and cameras, we found several unusual items.
Doing inventory of items turned in to lost and found can always be interesting ... there have been multiple occasions where I've been turning in a wallet, and the ID shows it belongs to someone in the 10-14 yr old age group. In the process of inventorying the contents, there have been several things that made me say "Why would a 10 year old need THAT?"

joanna71985
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by joanna71985 » Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:53 pm

hhsrat wrote:Doing inventory of items turned in to lost and found can always be interesting ... there have been multiple occasions where I've been turning in a wallet, and the ID shows it belongs to someone in the 10-14 yr old age group. In the process of inventorying the contents, there have been several things that made me say "Why would a 10 year old need THAT?"
Anything in particular?

[font="Comic Sans MS"]
I will be your guide for this magical journey into the movies. It's the perfect job for me, because I love movies! Is everybody ready? Great, because it's showtime. Ready when you are, CB!
[/font]

Anna
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by Anna » Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:22 pm

joanna71985 wrote:Anything in particular?
I'm guessing: condoms. Many of the wallets for the preteens contain them. I think most of those 13 year old boys were just ever hopeful.

hhsrat
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by hhsrat » Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:24 pm

Anna wrote:I'm guessing: condoms. Many of the wallets for the preteens contain them. I think most of those 13 year old boys were just ever hopeful.
Mostly ... although, there was one that also had a pair of "little purple pills" in there as well