"Thith ith retarded"

All other Theme Park Employees post your stupid guest tricks here. This forum is not for general Theme Park discussion. Please use the Break Room, for non stupid guest trick topics.
EeyoresButterfly
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

"Thith ith retarded"

Post by EeyoresButterfly » Sun Jul 26, 2009 3:29 am

So, I recently started working a roller coaster. I asked for it because I wanted to experience a challenge after Fantasyland (loved Fantasyland, but I wanted to deal with the challenge of height checks, strict rider policies, etc.)

Why do people get so nutso over height checks?! We told one guy up in the station that his kid didn't measure up. His response? "Thith ith retarted. You guyth are retarded. You are thtupid." I told him I was sorry. He told me, "You can't apologize for thtupid." We had one dad using language that would make a sailor blush all the while saying, "don't tell me he can't ride after we waited in line (this was on the ride platform. His daughter wasn't even close, but our park only staffs greeters on busy days)." Geez louise. Yeah, it would be nice if we had a greeter, but it states in big bold letters our requirement and even has a place for kids to measure themselves. It's not our fault you came into the park with blinders on.

Really, 99% of the guests are very understanding, but of course that other 1% are the ones that stick out in your mind.

Petite and Proud!

turkeyham
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Re: "Thith ith retarded"

Post by turkeyham » Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:21 am

Seriously, if the SG's kid is to short to ride, say "I can not let your kid on because it is a safety hazard." If they try to sneak on later and get caught, it is because the SG parent did not listen.

I always see that at Disneyland. Also in the guide brouchers you get tells how tall the kid had to be before riding. I am guessing they can't read either. :D:

delsdad
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here
Park: Canadas Top
Department: Concert Hall!
Position: Making Lights Move!

Post by delsdad » Sun Jul 26, 2009 1:27 pm

Our local park uses a color coded wristbands system on the kids to denote height. Ther are several stations in the park where a staffer measures the child and puts the appropriate wristbands on them. Each ride has a color coded sign outside the que. Makes it abreeze for parents. My daughter was thilled last weekend to get her first 48" wristband, which opened up a pile of new coasters to her.
EeyoresButterfly wrote:So, I recently started working a roller coaster. I asked for it because I wanted to experience a challenge after Fantasyland (loved Fantasyland, but I wanted to deal with the challenge of height checks, strict rider policies, etc.)

Why do people get so nutso over height checks?! We told one guy up in the station that his kid didn't measure up. His response? "Thith ith retarted. You guyth are retarded. You are thtupid." I told him I was sorry. He told me, "You can't apologize for thtupid." We had one dad using language that would make a sailor blush all the while saying, "don't tell me he can't ride after we waited in line (this was on the ride platform. His daughter wasn't even close, but our park only staffs greeters on busy days)." Geez louise. Yeah, it would be nice if we had a greeter, but it states in big bold letters our requirement and even has a place for kids to measure themselves. It's not our fault you came into the park with blinders on.

Really, 99% of the guests are very understanding, but of course that other 1% are the ones that stick out in your mind.

lady ulrike
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by lady ulrike » Sun Jul 26, 2009 2:21 pm

delsdad wrote:Our local park uses a color coded wristbands system on the kids to denote height. Ther are several stations in the park where a staffer measures the child and puts the appropriate wristbands on them. Each ride has a color coded sign outside the que. Makes it abreeze for parents. My daughter was thilled last weekend to get her first 48" wristband, which opened up a pile of new coasters to her.
These are a great idea, until you have parents taking the wristbands off of taller kids to put it on their younger and shorter ones. Then it just creates a whole host of problems and the parents will insist that their child be allowed to ride since they have the correct color wristband on even though the child is several inches too short and the wristband is obviously stretched out. The other problem is if the child is just barely too short and the parents do this, then the child might actually be allowed to ride and then there is the potential for harm.

darph nader
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by darph nader » Sun Jul 26, 2009 3:24 pm

Why noy use wrist-bands like they have in hospitals? You need a chainsaw to get them off. :twisted:

Beer....The reason I get up every,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,afternoon.

joanna71985
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by joanna71985 » Sun Jul 26, 2009 5:00 pm

Grrr, I hate people like that. :mad:

[font="Comic Sans MS"]
I will be your guide for this magical journey into the movies. It's the perfect job for me, because I love movies! Is everybody ready? Great, because it's showtime. Ready when you are, CB!
[/font]

DisneyMom
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR Guest
Department: Churro Inspection
Position: In Line for POTC

Post by DisneyMom » Sun Jul 26, 2009 5:30 pm

Are you allowed to say, "Well, I WOULD be stupid to violate company policy and risk your child's safety, and I am just sorry anyone would ever think I would do that"? :rolleyes:
I know, it is probably not what a manager would say :cool:

:flybongo: NO BULL!!!!!:D:

Syndrome
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by Syndrome » Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:02 pm

Just whip out a sheaf of forms: "Sure, your kid can ride, but first you need to sign this form that absolves us of liability when she falls to her bloody death because daddy didn't care that she was too short to fit into the restraints properly. Then sign this one, which is a wage assignment that Disney will use for reimbursement for the ride downtime while we remove the body. This one is for therapy for the CMs and guests who will witness the results of your selfish act. And this last one is an information form with all the pertinent info. for the Department of Family services to aid in the prosecution."

"If you are a dee, please don't marry a dee, 'cause then your kids will be dee dee dee." ....Carlos Mencia

"It's the difference between champagne and carbonated pee!" ....Homer Simpson

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Nice work, pal

turkeyham
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by turkeyham » Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:10 pm

When I went to visit my friend from Virginia Beach, we went to Williamsburg. There was a few theme parks. I remember going to one that looked like 6 Flags, but I think I am wrong on this name. I do remember signing a sheet saying if I were to do something unsafe or shop lift, I would get banned and pay a fine. There was the word jail in the last paragraph. I seriouly would like to see this at theme parks out here. I don't know if it would happen, but it would crack down on the SG entering tha parks.

EeyoresButterfly
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by EeyoresButterfly » Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:53 am

We actually do have wristbands for kids who are very close. They can get an official measurement at guest relations. But we still have to measure, in fact, we are required to check any child with a wristband and have had instances where wristbands were revoked. They are most useful when the child is right there. There are large signs as you enter the park. Each sign has a line indicating the height and which rides you can ride if you are that height. Additionally heights are on the map, in several locations outside the ride, you get the picture. I always tell guests the three rides that are 54" and try to soften the blow by telling them some of the "bigger" rides the child can ride. I also mention it is a safety issue.

We have what's called a "swing stand." It is a metal stand with a swinging bar set to the exact height requirement. I love it because it takes all the guesswork out. If it touches your head you are golden, if we can swing it above your head, no go. It makes it a lot easier for parents to see that junior is too short, but you always get a few special cases. I really wanted to dare the guy to use the word retarded again to a special ed teacher. That more than anything was offensive. I teach life skills and all my kids have a diagnosis of "mental retardation" in that their IQs fall within that range. It is a disability, not an insult. Grrrrrr.

Petite and Proud!