"Thith ith retarded"

All other Theme Park Employees post your stupid guest tricks here. This forum is not for general Theme Park discussion. Please use the Break Room, for non stupid guest trick topics.
lady ulrike
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Re: "Thith ith retarded"

Post by lady ulrike » Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:11 am

Freak wrote: I also disliked the policy of "if the kid has high shoes on, they can ride." What kind of BS is that? We had kids with 2" platform sandals on being able to pass height check because of their shoes alone. I'm not sure if they ever changed that policy, but that was so contradictory
I've always assumed that the height is a little higher to accommodate for shoes. Maybe not high enough to accommodate for ridiculously high shoes, but still probably higher than it needs to be.

Canuikstan
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by Canuikstan » Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:31 am

PatchOBlack wrote:Hmm....I am thinking I would like to see a "You must be this tall" sign with a footnote along the lines of "* Rider must be this tall naturally. You may be asked to be re-measured if it appears artificial means are being used to increase the rider's height."
At our local park, the official guideline is "Rider Must be "this tall" without shoes to ride.

If you are close, they will ask the child to remove the shoes.

delsdad
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here
Park: Canadas Top
Department: Concert Hall!
Position: Making Lights Move!

Post by delsdad » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:35 pm

Canuikstan wrote:At our local park, the official guideline is "Rider Must be "this tall" without shoes to ride.

If you are close, they will ask the child to remove the shoes.
I do like the wristband system there. And the various measuring stations available. It keeps height disputes from clogging up the que as often as might otherwise occur. We are headed there tomorrow for Canada Day.

EeyoresButterfly
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by EeyoresButterfly » Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:42 am

Freak wrote:
I also disliked the policy of "if the kid has high shoes on, they can ride." What kind of BS is that? We had kids with 2" platform sandals on being able to pass height check because of their shoes alone. I'm not sure if they ever changed that policy, but that was so contradictory
Hmm, we're owned by the same company (Cedar Fair) and our policy states that shoes must be less than 1.5" tall. We measure them first, and if they are within an inch or so, we have them switch shoes with a member of their party. Shoes are built into the height requirement, but not tall shoes. I actually had one today where the little girl had wedged flip flops on. My ride you have to be 36" to ride. If you are between 36" and 46" you must sit in front of an adult. She had a 46" wristband. I measured her and she was barely over the top of the height stick. I told her to sit in front of her parents. They indicated GR did not tell her to take off her sandals to measure, so I let me supervisors know so they could give other crews a heads up. My ride it didn't matter since she had an adult with her, but it owuld matter on a ride in which 46" was the minimum height.

Petite and Proud!

Freak
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by Freak » Sat Jul 10, 2010 3:19 am

^ Ehh, my supervisors back then..... I remember when I had a Rides Supervisor insist on loading a child on Jaguar! who was about an inch too short. The whole crew went against what she said and refused to load her. The whole crew was written up. Our Rides Management was not the best back then. No clue what its like now, but back in 2006 they were letting children who obviously weren't tall enough on. We did not have a wristband system in place.

I wish I was making this up... :(

RIP Bud Hurlbut.

You will be missed.

CBeilby
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by CBeilby » Sat Jul 10, 2010 9:40 am

Freak wrote:^ Ehh, my supervisors back then..... I remember when I had a Rides Supervisor insist on loading a child on Jaguar! who was about an inch too short. The whole crew went against what she said and refused to load her. The whole crew was written up. Our Rides Management was not the best back then. No clue what its like now, but back in 2006 they were letting children who obviously weren't tall enough on. We did not have a wristband system in place.

I wish I was making this up... :(
Unfortunately, I can believe it. Management was a hell of a lot better back when the family owned the park (with a few exceptions, who shall remain nameless, but have the initials J.T. and R.Z.)

For Randy, For Bonny, For Chris...

Freak
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by Freak » Sat Jul 10, 2010 9:07 pm

I know both and agree 150%. Couldn't stand J.T. at all honestly. R.Z. was bad too, but not nearly as bad as J.T.

RIP Bud Hurlbut.

You will be missed.

felinefan
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by felinefan » Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:28 pm

If the J.T. you're referring to is the one I knew--Rides Manager--I agree, I've had several run-ins with him before. The loser's a total psycho.

CBeilby
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by CBeilby » Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:42 pm

felinefan wrote:If the J.T. you're referring to is the one I knew--Rides Manager--I agree, I've had several run-ins with him before. The loser's a total psycho.
It is the same J.T.

For Randy, For Bonny, For Chris...

julieannboo
Wide-eyed Newcomer
Wide-eyed Newcomer

Post by julieannboo » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:46 am

EeyoresButterfly wrote:So, I recently started working a roller coaster. I asked for it because I wanted to experience a challenge after Fantasyland (loved Fantasyland, but I wanted to deal with the challenge of height checks, strict rider policies, etc.)

Why do people get so nutso over height checks?! We told one guy up in the station that his kid didn't measure up. His response? "Thith ith retarted. You guyth are retarded. You are thtupid." I told him I was sorry. He told me, "You can't apologize for thtupid." We had one dad using language that would make a sailor blush all the while saying, "don't tell me he can't ride after we waited in line (this was on the ride platform. His daughter wasn't even close, but our park only staffs greeters on busy days)." Geez louise. Yeah, it would be nice if we had a greeter, but it states in big bold letters our requirement and even has a place for kids to measure themselves. It's not our fault you came into the park with blinders on.

Really, 99% of the guests are very understanding, but of course that other 1% are the ones that stick out in your mind.
do you ever get support from the people in charge of you - when an idiot is being rude to you?