Stupid Guest Tricks out West

All other Theme Park Employees post your stupid guest tricks here. This forum is not for general Theme Park discussion. Please use the Break Room, for non stupid guest trick topics.
Monorail_Red
Regular Guest
Regular Guest
Department: Monorails
Position: Former CM

Stupid Guest Tricks out West

Post by Monorail_Red » Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:06 am

How about some SG stories from the National Parks?

Last week I took a cross-country road trip stopping at the Badlands, Mount Rushmore, Crazy Horse Memorial, with our final destination being Yellowstone Park. We had great weather the whole trip, making for a nice drive & great sightseeing. Total driving time was about 37hrs out there and about 35hrs on the return trip.

Here was my agenda:

Day 1: Driving
Day 2: Driving, stopped in the Badlands, more driving
Day 3: Mount Rushmore & Crazy Horse
Day 4: Driving day to Yellowstone & sightseeing
Day 5: Sightseeing at Yellowstone
Day 6: Sightseeing at Yellowstone
Days 7 & 8: Driving return trip home

But needless to say, every attraction has its SG’s, and I have a few SG stories that I would like to share. I was surprised that Mount Rushmore, Crazy Horse, and the Badlands lacked SG’s. Just some SG’s in the Badlands getting stopped by the park rangers for speeding I would presume…which leads me to think, why would one want to speed through a national park? Some of the cars that were stopped had tags from Florida, New York, Maine, and even some from Canada. I just don’t understand why somebody would drive 2-3 days to see a national park then speed through it, but then I reminded myself that they were just SG’s. :rolleyes:

On day 3 we stopped in Bear Country which is a drive-through park with roaming goats, bears, elk, wolves, etc. So we get to the bear section...and there's bears EVERYWHERE you look. (all the animals here were in captivity) In front of us, there is this car with a cooler strapped to the back bumper. 1st off you have to be a SG to drive through a bear area with not no only one, but 3 coolers full of food. I'm surprised that they let that car go through the park with the coolers. On top of that, there is a bear on the side of the road...and they crack their window and start calling out to it by banging on the window! :eek:

Fast forward to Day 4. We had to drive through Yellowstone to get to our hotel on the other side anyway, so we used it as a sightseeing day as well. We came across a herd of buffalo, and we noticed that two of them were about to cross the road. We stop, as well as the other traffic. In my mirror I saw this blue sedan coming up on the wrong side. I mean, traffic is stopped in both directions, you would thing that it would give the SG a clue that there was something in the road. He came up, saw the 1st one and stopped. He didn’t see the 2nd one, and the 2nd crossing buffalo just made it across the street. Luckily, the buffalos are pretty passive and aren’t too overly concerned about our presence. But they could have easily flipped that sedan. :D:

Still day 4. We come up to some sulfur springs, and notice that traffic is pulling off the road, which is a sign that there’s wildlife nearby. That was the case, and it was another buffalo. It was grazing around the springs, and as many of you know, thermal areas at Yellowstone are strictly off limits. People are getting out of their cars, and there’s these SG’s with small children that cross the thermal area warning sign and begin to approach it. They backed off as it began to approach the road (in their direction). I just did not understand the motivation behind their actions, but remember they are SG’s.

So we start fresh in the morning on day 5. Not too many tourists at Yellowstone yet since the park just opened. We saw the Mammoth Hot Springs, and other geysers and thermal features. That morning, we came to a scenic view from a ledge about 3,000ft up from the Yellowstone River. On the way to the scenic walkway, there are pull-offs on the road there on the same ledge. I saw SG’s standing there, but this one lady tried to climb over the guardrail…which was right on the ledge as well. I didn’t understand it, I know the people try to get the best pictures they can just as I do, but it’s like “let me climb over this wall so I can get another foot closer” …I didn’t get it. :confused:

That same day I got to see Old Faithful go off…it was about 5min late but still was an amazing sight to see. Not too many SG’s there. Just a few people that had their back to Old Faithful looking for what everyone else was taking pictures of. :D:

Once the sun started to set, we set course to look for some bears. We got a tip from some locals, and sure enough we saw 3 black bears. During one of the sightings, some SG’s tried to approach it, but luckily there were about 3 park rangers there doing riot control.

The evening of day 5 we’re on the way back to our hotel after the bear sightings, and we come to a thermal area with a hot pool. It was dusk, and the SG’s must have figured that they could get away with walking on the thermal area. They were standing right over the pool :eek: (which was boiling)…maybe they figured that at night it’s not hot anymore. :confused:

To be continued...

Regards,
Monorail_Red

The views and opinions expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily represent or reflect those of The Walt Disney Company.

Monorail_Red
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Stupid Guest Tricks out West Part 2

Post by Monorail_Red » Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:17 am

…So day 6 was our last day at Yellowstone before we hit the road for the return trip home. By this time, we’ve seen plenty of buffalo…but there’s still cars stopping to take some pictures, and along with that comes the final Stupid Guest Trick that I have to share with you from this trip. There are a few close to the road laying down in the dirt. A family of four got out of their car and started to approach it! I just did not understand their logic, but like in I said before, they are SG’s.

But again, we had gread weather which made for a nice drive & great sightseeing. The mountains were awesome. I will put up some pictures later.

-Red

Regards,
Monorail_Red

The views and opinions expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily represent or reflect those of The Walt Disney Company.

BRWombat
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Department: Offsite Harmony
Position: Back Row Baritone

Re: Stupid Guest Tricks out West Part 2

Post by BRWombat » Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:00 am

Monorail_Red wrote:... In front of us, there is this car with a cooler strapped to the back bumper. 1st off you have to be a SG to drive through a bear area with not no only one, but 3 coolers full of food. I'm surprised that they let that car go through the park with the coolers. On top of that, there is a bear on the side of the road...and they crack their window and start calling out to it by banging on the window! :eek: ...
Luckily, the buffalos are pretty passive and aren’t too overly concerned about our presence. But they could have easily flipped that sedan. :D: ...

...People are getting out of their cars, and there’s these SG’s with small children that cross the thermal area warning sign and begin to approach it. They backed off as it began to approach the road (in their direction). ...

...I saw SG’s standing there, but this one lady tried to climb over the guardrail…which was right on the ledge as well. I didn’t understand it, I know the people try to get the best pictures they can just as I do, but it’s like “let me climb over this wall so I can get another foot closer” …I didn’t get it. :confused:

...During one of the sightings, some SG’s tried to approach it, but luckily there were about 3 park rangers there doing riot control....

...It was dusk, and the SG’s must have figured that they could get away with walking on the thermal area. They were standing right over the pool :eek: (which was boiling)…maybe they figured that at night it’s not hot anymore. :confused: ...

…By this time, we’ve seen plenty of buffalo…but there’s still cars stopping to take some pictures, and along with that comes the final Stupid Guest Trick that I have to share with you from this trip. There are a few close to the road laying down in the dirt. A family of four got out of their car and started to approach it! ...
Sounds like the National Parks are magnets for future Darwin Award winners! Thanks for the stories!

I visited Yellowstone as a kid with my family, and we got caught up in a bear jam. Better yet, one of the black bears at the side of the road decided to approach the cars, and actually stood up on its hind legs, propped its front legs on the driver's side of our pickup (my brothers and I were in a camper in the pickup bed, laughing at the spectacle of my dad in the front seat leaning as far as possible from the bear), and licked the window. (Guess my dad looked tasty?)

We wouldn't let him wash the bear slobber off for the remainder of the trip.

"This would be a great place if we could only get rid of all these people." - Walt Disney

Image Image
VocalMajority
Twitter

Whazzup
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Re: Stupid Guest Tricks out West

Post by Whazzup » Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:15 am

Those SGs still haven't figured out that those are WILD animals out there - not domestic puppy dogs and puddy tats. Why would anyone want to approach a WILD animal in its habitat? Do they think because the WILD animals are used to cars that they are used to people walking up and trying to pet them? :eek: Darwin Award Winners indeed. If they are that stupid let's hope they don't get the chance to procreate and produce more SGs. :mad:

GRUMPY PIRATE
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by GRUMPY PIRATE » Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:13 pm

HEHEHEH

Your story reminds me of my first driving trip to Alaska, We drive from San Diego, up through Canada on the Alcan. As we were Driving in Canada and approaching (about 10 miles or so) the border of Alaska, we saw a bunch of cars and trucks parked along side the road.

Like Monorail Red says, that means there is something to see. we park and get out, I get my trusty SLR with a 300mm lens and start snapping away at a bull moose about 150 feet or so off the roadway. a bunch of people were standing around doing the same thing. (of course comments on "Bullwinkle")

I was talking with some of the others, with an older couple standing there, using a small point and click camera taking pictures. (this was before Digital)

The older man tells his wife to "walk down there and stand in front of the moose so that I can get a shot of you."

This causes all conversation to stop. I look at some of the others there and they probably look like I do, dumbfounded that they would even consider such a thing. A guy that I was talking with said that he didn't think that it would be such a good idea.

The older guys said nonsense, the moose is just rubbing his antlers and rolling around of the ground.

(for those that don't know, that is the beggining of runt, and they have pretty bad eyesight, and will charge anything that is invading their terrority, and they can weigh as much as 1500 pounds)

I chimed in that even though I was a trained in first aid and advanced lifesaving, I was pretty sure that the fact we were a long way from any medical facility would make for a bad time for them if they got hurt. Others also commented that it would ruin their vacation to Alaska.

I often wonder if they had any other close up wildlife encounters like that.

:pirateflaARRRRRRR YA DOIN'?

Widget
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by Widget » Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:32 pm

Having spent several years as a zoo keeper I saw my fair share of stupid guests. I would love to have a dollar for every one who asked me if I went in with the tiger. Usually the question was asked when I was feeding him. Instead of just saying "No" I would do a demonstration. First I would throw the meat in Punjab's cage. Then I would walk ten feet away feed the kit foxes and wait another minute or so. Finally I would look at the SGs, say 'Watch' and would then walk by Punjab's cage. As soon as I got within a couple of feet of where he was Punjab would go into full tiger mode and growl, snarl, and throw all his weight into the side of the enclosure to let me know I was not welcome for dinner unless I was going to be part of the main course. The most common SG response to this was 'I guess you don't go in then.'

Monorail_Red
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by Monorail_Red » Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:55 pm

Some pictures for anybody interested:

Black bear...look closely!

Regards,
Monorail_Red

Monorail_Red
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by Monorail_Red » Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:59 pm

Whazzup wrote:If they are that stupid let's hope they don't get the chance to procreate and produce more SGs. :mad:
Too late for that now...when I said groups of people approaching the wildlife I meant SG's and their offspring...

:eek:

Regards,
Monorail_Red

felinefan
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by felinefan » Sat Jul 11, 2009 7:45 pm

Thank you for sharing those beautiful pictures. I haven't been to Yellowstone since the early 70s.

Well, what do you expect of people nowadays? They see all these shows on T.V. of people getting up close and personal with wildlife, or even living among them, and they think it's perfectly okay to go up to Yogi and Boo-Boo Bear for a picture. Some parents have been stupid enough to put their toddlers on the backs of bear cubs for a "cute" picture, even with mama bear growling menacingly nearby. People just don't have the same respect for wildlife our pioneer ancestors had. They're too urbanized.

On a different twist, I once read of an Adopt -A-Buffalo campaign, where people could "adopt" a bison and thus pay for its care, to help out the sanctuary they were in. Well, this one lady came to the sanctuary--if you had the land and were properly trained in caring for and manging bison, you could take it home to your ranch--driving a fancy car, wearing fancy clothes with high heels, and she had this leash and collar for her bison to take it home. She thought it was the size of a lapdog, obviously. When she saw the bison, 6' tall at the shoulder, weighing about a ton, she got back in her car and took off. Probably had told her friends she was going to adopt this cute little bison as if it were the latest fad pet, and keep it in her penthouse. Yeah, right; good luck with that. Would've loved to have heard what she told her friends after she came home empty-handed. :D:

Monorail_Red
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by Monorail_Red » Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:02 pm

GRUMPY PIRATE wrote:The older man tells his wife to "walk down there and stand in front of the moose so that I can get a shot of you."

I often wonder if they had any other close up wildlife encounters like that.
I wonder if that was their second-to-last wildlife encounter? :eek:

BTW, that was one of the only things that I didn't see was a moose out in Yellowstone...that and a grizzly bear, which I wasn't holding my breath on anyway.
BRWombat wrote:We wouldn't let him wash the bear slobber off for the remainder of the trip.
I would have welcomed that...our van was SO covered in bugs...once one hit your windshield at 80MPH they instantly adhese... :gross:
Widget wrote:The most common SG response to this was 'I guess you don't go in then.'
Sometimes you have to go to the extreme to get something through the thick scull of a SG :twisted:
felinefan wrote:She thought it was the size of a lapdog, obviously. When she saw the bison, 6' tall at the shoulder, weighing about a ton, she got back in her car and took off. Probably had told her friends she was going to adopt this cute little bison as if it were the latest fad pet, and keep it in her penthouse. Yeah, right; good luck with that. Would've loved to have heard what she told her friends after she came home empty-handed. :D:
Hmmm...maybe she stopped somewhere on the way back to pick-up another lapdog just to cover? :D:

Regards,
Monorail_Red