Why you should follow the directions of the Crew when cruising.....

All other Theme Park Employees post your stupid guest tricks here. This forum is not for general Theme Park discussion. Please use the Break Room, for non stupid guest trick topics.
glendalais
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Why you should follow the directions of the Crew when cruising.....

Post by glendalais » Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:50 am

....Particularly when it's "be back on this bloody ship by xx:yy time!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-yrsXsJ ... re=related

And it also features the most hillarious SG quote ever. Remember that this is a Cruise Ship which weighs millions of kilogrammes.....

"Will they pull over?"

:rolleyes:

Lasolimu
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Re: Why you should follow the directions of the Crew when cruising.....

Post by Lasolimu » Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:48 am

One of those things people don't think about, will a cruise ship actually leave someone behind? Most people like to think that they won't, but when you think about it it makes sense in most cases. You were told what time the ship would be leaving so you could plan and be back BEFORE then. The ship is full of people who also paid and who actually made it back on time; they don't want to have the schedule changed because the ship was forced to wait for people who couldn't bother to get back on time. I say most cases, because there is one situation where I would say the ship should wait: when there is a major problem that prevents most of the people from getting back on time, but I am sure that is a rare occurrence and you extend the time an appropriate amount to make it so like the delay wasn't a problem; if the delay id 30 minutes you might extend the time by 30-45 minutes to account for possible changes in the delay. Essentially make it so that they get on if they would have made it without the delay. People might still get left behind in this situation, but they would have been left behind anyway without the delay.

Of course I am the kind of person who try to be back at least 30 minutes early depending on the location and length of stop.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Buggy
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by Buggy » Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:47 am

I took a cruise last year. I had every belief that they would leave us behind had we been late getting back.

BRWombat
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Department: Offsite Harmony
Position: Back Row Baritone

Post by BRWombat » Mon Apr 27, 2009 2:30 pm

I know Disney Cruise Line is very clear with you that the only time they will hold the ship is if a shore excursion booked through DCL is delayed. If you venture out on your own and don't make it back for the departure time, you're responsible for getting yourself to the next port.

"This would be a great place if we could only get rid of all these people." - Walt Disney

Image Image
VocalMajority
Twitter

Zazu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: WDW
Position: retired

Post by Zazu » Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:19 pm

I've seen stupid passengers left behind a number of times. Generally, those on board know their names from the announcements on the PA for the previous hour, so the insults shouted to them can get pretty specific ... especially those from their smarter, future ex-spouse.

I was once on a Disney-sponsored shore excursion that ran late. Didn't worry much because the van *behind* mine was carrying the Cruise Director. The Captain met him at the gangway, and to say that he was Not Pleased would have been a significant understatement!

Zazu

Tara_Lee3
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by Tara_Lee3 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:52 pm

That makes me want to cry! :bugeyes:

I am now about a zillion times more grateful that I didn't miss the last ferry back to the ship. I was on a cruise a few Decembers ago and *places SG hat squarely on own head* I figured they'd expect stupid guests like me (and apparently those two) and have one more "last ferry" after the Last Ferry for the stragglers who didn't quite make it on time. Not wanting to be one of those Stupid Passengers on the Last Last Ferry, I slid on to the Actual one with mere minutes to spare. Yeesh... I am actually scared now at how close I was then to being stranded. :oweye:

So, *huge puppy eyes* can I have a plea in abeyance as I managed to not actually commit that huge SG crime? If I promise to never EVER think I can cut it that close again? :beg:

"How much are the mugs? Well the 13 large signs at eye level all say the mugs are $12.99.. so I'm gonna go with that."

GRUMPY PIRATE
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by GRUMPY PIRATE » Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:13 am

The few times I have seen people miss ships movement, I also got to see them at mast.

The captain ensured that they would not be so inclined the next time!

:pirateflaARRRRRRR YA DOIN'?

Natural Selection Fan
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by Natural Selection Fan » Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:52 am

This same scenario plays out nightly on the Steam Trains, Monorails,
Parking Lot Trams, WOD, Hotel Shuttles and more.

I'll bet the cruise line doesn't hand out compensation.

If you ever stop and ask yourself: "How do they dress themselves?"
Congratulations and welcome to my world.

Rob562
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by Rob562 » Wed May 06, 2009 12:05 am

If you look through the related videos of that one, you find even more SGs who were VERY lucky....

One guy who actually lucked out when the ship turned around and re-docked!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=handlto6oLo

And four women who somehow got a tug to bring them out to the ship, which had waited in port an extra TWO HOURS for them before leaving...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEXE9Dk4Y0M

-Rob

Big Wallaby
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by Big Wallaby » Wed May 06, 2009 3:27 pm

Then there was my honeymoon.

You can stop, I'm not going into certain detail.

In Cozumel we found ourselves waiting an extra two hours.

You see, the Cruise Director, several of the entertainment folks and bridge crew had gone over to Playa del Carmen to go skydiving. With plenty of time to get back, they found out that all the boat transportation had broken down and they were stranded. Apparently they had to charter a plane to get back. Woohoo!

My opinions are mine and mine only. If my opinions are the opinion of others who happen to share whatever my crazy views may be, then fine, but it's not because I represent them in having my opinions. Got it?