Six Flags Over Wombat

All other Theme Park Employees post your stupid guest tricks here. This forum is not for general Theme Park discussion. Please use the Break Room, for non stupid guest trick topics.
BRWombat
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Department: Offsite Harmony
Position: Back Row Baritone

Six Flags Over Wombat

Post by BRWombat » Sun Mar 22, 2009 2:52 pm

The Wombat family’s ongoing flooded house saga wasn’t enough to earn us a spot on Extreme Home Makeover (thankfully/dang it!), but it was enough for a local radio station to have pity on us and award us four passes to Six Flags Over Texas (not Disney, but the original Six Flags and still the best IMHO).

So… we set out yesterday for a relaxing, low-cost day away at Six Flags. And of course I have to come and report back here on the various forms of stupidity I encountered -- which thankfully were pretty mild -- along with a few random thoughts:
  • At the parking entrance: $15 for general parking? Wow, prices have shot up. The very friendly attendant wishes us "Have a Six Flags day," which strikes me as odd. I can’t help but think of the less-than-positive "Have a Disney day" that I don’t really ever want to have said to me.
  • My handicap tag is still valid (and needed, sadly), so we get relatively close parking. Yay! Then as we walk to the entrance, we find that the park has opened up a second, side entrance for those who already have tickets. Good idea on their part. We have our free passes, so we’re in very quickly, right at 10:00 when the park opens.
  • The first behavior even close to SG-ish that I observe comes from my elder son, who has just ridden El Vibora, a bobsled ride. He saw signs in the loading area saying that if a guest was observed with a camera out on the lift hill, the guest could be ejected. His response, "Who’s even going to see you do that?" Not quite the "obey the safety rules" attitude I'd hoped for in my teen. A brief talk steers him back.
  • Our side entrance puts us into the park in the Spain and Mexico sections of the park. I notice that all of the ride announcements are done in both English and Spanish. That used to be done just for theming, but I suspect there are now Spanish announcements all through the park, even in the France, Old South, and Gotham City sections. I'm right.
  • I notice a lot of guests dribbling basketballs around the park. At first I think it's an odd thing to bring to an amusement park, but later I realize that the balls are prizes for various skill shot games. It still strikes me as odd that so many go win a basketball early in the day and then dribble them around the park all day.
  • At lunch, we hit a counter service restaurant. We're almost to the registers when we're delayed by someone who'd forgotten their change returning to claim it. This requires two cashiers, a manager, scanning in of receipts, and lots of button pushing. Then the next guy in line, right in front of me, just buys a $13 refillable mug, pays with a twenty – and walks off without his change. I promise the cashier I won't forget my change, and he thanks me.
(cont'd below)

"This would be a great place if we could only get rid of all these people." - Walt Disney

Image Image
VocalMajority
Twitter

BRWombat
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Re: Six Flags Over Wombat

Post by BRWombat » Sun Mar 22, 2009 2:55 pm

• After lunch, we climb aboard the train for a relaxing trip around the park while our food settles. But the train doesn't leave the station. A western-voiced recording informs us that the train is experiencing technical difficulties. After sitting for 15 minutes, we see the engineer fiddling with something at the engine. There’s a significant "BOOM," and white smoke (or steam) pours from the smokestack. When the smoke turns thick, black and smelly, we take it as our cue to get off the train and find something else to do!
  • They later get the trains going again. We're in the station at the head of the line waiting to board. As soon as boarding begins, starts to step over a bench to join us at the front of the line. I point and say, "The line goes that way." To her credit, she steps back and stays in line after that.
  • What is with this crowd? It's… actually pleasant. The numbers are light early in the day but get heavier as time goes on, but people are being nice to each other, the teens are not too obnoxious. The only time I see smokers is… in the smoking sections. I only see a couple of kids with heelies, but even they only roll for a second before walking again, as if they just momentarily "forgot." I can handle crowds like this!
  • There’s an odd clothing accessory going around -- capes. The park sells Superman- and Supergirl-style capes in a variety of colors and designs, and I see a lot of them. They’re kind of cute on the kids… but not so much on the adults.
  • SG alert: a balding 40-ish idiot, with a normal-looking wife and older kids in tow, is proudly wearing an "I [heart] HOT MOMS" t-shirt. I pity his family.
  • Stupid Park Trick: advertising a movie as a "3-D" adventure when it's not. "Fly Me to the Moon" is short but cute, about three animated flies who stow away on Apollo 11, and there are motion seats to add to the experience, but there are no 3-D glasses. It's 3-D in the sense that Cars and Toy Story are 3-D. That is, not. It's CG animation, not 3-D.
  • Many of the Six Flags employees are wearing shirts with large lettering on the back reading "Have a [heart], Do your part, Keep the park clean." Two thoughts: (1) It's sad that there have been enough problems that someone feels that that is necessary, and (2) I'm glad Disney doesn’t do that. It's kind of condescending.
  • Why, oh why, don’t other parks have Pink Things? These are to Six Flags Over Texas what Dole whips and Mickey bars are to WDW, and they've been around forever. A Pink Thing is a creamy cherry ice on a stick, about two scoops worth for only $2.00, and if the signs are to be believed they are exclusive to SFOT. They're a perfect mid-afternoon treat on warm days.
  • Our last ride for the day is the relaxing and gentle Silver Star Carousel. Our boarding is delayed by an SG family who thinks that because they stop on the side opposite the single attendant, the attendant won’t notice if they don’t leave and stay on for a second ride. The attendant, though, has kept count, and has to go shoo the SGs off of the ride.
All in all, a good, relatively cheap, and pretty relaxing day, and a break we definitely needed!

"This would be a great place if we could only get rid of all these people." - Walt Disney

Image Image
VocalMajority
Twitter

GRUMPY PIRATE
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by GRUMPY PIRATE » Sun Mar 22, 2009 3:25 pm

But........

what flags were over you????????

hehehehehehehe

sounds like a fun time and a good park to visit!

Hmmm, pink things!

I DO like Cherry flavor!!!

:pirateflaARRRRRRR YA DOIN'?

Zazu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: WDW
Position: retired

Post by Zazu » Sun Mar 22, 2009 11:25 pm

BRWombat wrote:
  • What is with this crowd? It's… actually pleasant. The numbers are light early in the day but get heavier as time goes on, but people are being nice to each other, the teens are not too obnoxious. The only time I see smokers is… in the smoking sections. I only see a couple of kids with heelies, but even they only roll for a second before walking again, as if they just momentarily "forgot." I can handle crowds like this!
I think some credit for polite crowds in Texas goes to the grand old Texas tradition of packing heat at all times.

I quote once again Pournelle's Law: "An armed society is a polite society."

And of course Niven's Rejoinder: "After a very messy first six months."

Zazu

GaTechGal
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by GaTechGal » Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:21 am

GRUMPY PIRATE wrote:But........

what flags were over you????????

That would be France, Spain, Mexico, The Republic of Texas, The Confederate States of America, and the United States of America.

BRWombat
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by BRWombat » Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:18 am

GaTechGal wrote:That would be France, Spain, Mexico, The Republic of Texas, The Confederate States of America, and the United States of America.
Ding, ding, ding! We have a winner! :D:

This original Six Flags park was always themed pretty well, with sections of the park themed to each of these six periods in Texas history. That's not emphasized as much any more, though the original sections are there along with a few new ones (Boomtown, Looney Tunes USA, Goodtimes Square, Gotham City).

But the generic "six flags" logo, with the bland multi-color pennants and no tie to history, just can't compare.

Image Image
VocalMajority
Twitter

GaTechGal
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by GaTechGal » Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:14 pm

The same was true for Six Flags Over Georgia. They had to stretch the six flags for us a bit and used Spain, France, United Kingdom, the United States of America, the Confederate States of America and the state of Georgia. France really didn't have much involvement and Georgia was never really a republic itself like Texas, but it seemed ok. And each area was totally themed. I don't really care for the comics themeing all over the place now.

Moonliner
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by Moonliner » Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:17 pm

BRWombat wrote: [*]I notice a lot of guests dribbling basketballs around the park. At first I think it's an odd thing to bring to an amusement park, but later I realize that the balls are prizes for various skill shot games. It still strikes me as odd that so many go win a basketball early in the day and then dribble them around the park all day.
I would almost prefer a bevy of Brazilians than the sound of all the dribbling balls.

Should I add, "That's what she said".

Lasolimu
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by Lasolimu » Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:34 pm

Moonliner wrote:Should I add, "That's what she said".
No, no you should not.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

disneyaddict
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by disneyaddict » Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:21 pm

Moonliner wrote:Should I add, "That's what she said".

Hmm, a bit too late to ask, isn't it?

[font=Arial]Gene Police: You!! Out Of The Pool! :twisted:[/font]

[font=Arial]"If all the world's a stage, I want to operate the trap door."-- Paul Beatty[/font]

[font=Arial]"Everybody lies."--Dr. House (RIP Kutner :()[/font]