Language Barrier

All other Theme Park Employees post your stupid guest tricks here. This forum is not for general Theme Park discussion. Please use the Break Room, for non stupid guest trick topics.
felinefan
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Re: Language Barrier

Post by felinefan » Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:09 pm

Huh, that's wierd. Apparently the only thing Knott's does right is when you apply, you indicate what language(s) you are fluent in on the application, and when you're interviewed, you state that fact to the interviewer. When they make your badge, they put what language you are fluent in below your name. I saw both "Hablamos Espanol" and "ASL" on some badges.

You'd think that since Disney is a larger company, they would have a simple system like that in place. Why would it have to be so hard to get a language tag?

Teddykeiko86
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by Teddykeiko86 » Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:18 pm

At universal they only had a 'hablo espanol" name tag. The also had a "team leader" name tag for the leads. All you had to do to get one was ask the wardrobe employee (the person who hands you your unifrom) for one. That is it. I was even able to get one. No test, no nothing. I am as white as paper and the dictionary deffintion of gringa. I never wore it of course, although I knew enough spanish to get my point across.
I begged management to get new name tag add ons for other languages. Alas, they couldn't budget it, so my dymno labler and I made some for common languages.

dazyhill
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by dazyhill » Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:51 am

I used to have a sales clerk that spoke two different Chinese dialects (Mandarin and another that I can't remember.) I remember one day she was called over to Knott's Lost Children station because they had a lost child who only spoke Chinese.
She was a great asset to the store,but she retired a few years ago. I miss her a lot.

Cheshire Figment
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by Cheshire Figment » Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:18 am

Around Christmas at Indy we were extremely packed and there was a group of about 12 who decided to sit on the stairs to watch the show as we were SRO. I went over to tell them they could not sit there (fire code violation) and they went into the "no comprende" mode.

So I said to the "Dast ist Verboten! Gehen sie raus! Schnell!" and repeated myself several times, while waving my arms and appearing agitated. Probably they did not understand German, but I'm sure they got the point as they got up and went to stand in the back with everyone else.