Stupid Theatre Goer gets Screamed at in Middle of Show

All other Theme Park Employees post your stupid guest tricks here. This forum is not for general Theme Park discussion. Please use the Break Room, for non stupid guest trick topics.
turkeyham
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Re: Stupid Theatre Goer gets Screamed at in Middle of Show

Post by turkeyham » Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:27 pm

There is a new camera rule in the Disney Parks. They will not allow cameras with long lenses. (sp). If you have one, you have to take it back to your car or get a locker for it. I can see SG being irratating at shows snapping pictures. Disney Studios, I believe that flash photograpgy can cause minor blindness. This can lead to injuries and it can ruin the show. Big Wallaby, you and Wombat are correct. I even tried to get a picture of Fantasmic when Maureen scored VIP passes for the group that night. My pictures came out blurry. So now folks, take a picture and you will not make out what is in front of you. :twisted:

SkipperGordon
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by SkipperGordon » Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:03 am

As both a theatre technician and live performer I say GO PATTI.

I can't tell you how many times I've had guests almost blind me in the lighthouse. It's painful and it's dangerous. Usually yelling "OW" does the trick and they realize that they've just done something douchey but I've come close to hitting an E-Stop on several occasions simply because I could not SEE.

Big Wallaby
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by Big Wallaby » Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:27 am

At F!, I can't believe how the lights go out and before ANYTHING is even happening on stage, there are thousands of flashes going off, all around the audience. I laugh at them, taking pictures of a dark stage. Maybe they're taking pictures of the sound effect.

My opinions are mine and mine only. If my opinions are the opinion of others who happen to share whatever my crazy views may be, then fine, but it's not because I represent them in having my opinions. Got it?

EpcotFan
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by EpcotFan » Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:22 am

turkeyham wrote:There is a new camera rule in the Disney Parks. They will not allow cameras with long lenses. (sp). If you have one, you have to take it back to your car or get a locker for it. I can see SG being irratating at shows snapping pictures. Disney Studios, I believe that flash photograpgy can cause minor blindness. This can lead to injuries and it can ruin the show. Big Wallaby, you and Wombat are correct. I even tried to get a picture of Fantasmic when Maureen scored VIP passes for the group that night. My pictures came out blurry. So now folks, take a picture and you will not make out what is in front of you. :twisted:
So what's the cut off point for long lens? And why would this have anything to do with flash photography. The really long lens let in a lot of light so you can take pictures without needing a flash. Besides most people who would spend money on a longer lens know their camera well enough to know flashes are worse than useless for stage shows. Its the people with point and shoot cameras or entry level SLRs that tend to be ignorant of this.

Finally, Fanstasmic is very difficult to shoot because of the low light levels. Trying to shoot the water screens is very difficult because the images are a little blurry to start with due to the nature of a water screen. Shooting any of the live action is also tricky because the light levels are low and the figures are almost always in motion. You might be able to do a decent job with an SLR that can shoot ISO1600 and one of Canon's 70-200mm f2.8 with an image stabilizer and shooting wide open with a shutter speed of 1/90 or 1/120. But it sounds like you'll never get one of those lens into the park now. On the otherhand, you can probably do a decent job of video taping with a moderate priced video camera.

ktulu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: ktululand
Department: Custodial
Position: Janitor

Post by ktulu » Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:57 am

EpcotFan wrote:So what's the cut off point for long lens? And why would this have anything to do with flash photography. The really long lens let in a lot of light so you can take pictures without needing a flash. Besides most people who would spend money on a longer lens know their camera well enough to know flashes are worse than useless for stage shows. Its the people with point and shoot cameras or entry level SLRs that tend to be ignorant of this.
I'm not sure what the cut off is for the lens length, I'm sure Board X will have that data. Really long lenses do not necessarily let in more light, in fact unless you drop a good amount of coin on one, it will let in less at full zoom. I think the biggest problem is people don't RTFM and therefore they have no idea how to turn off the flash.
Finally, Fanstasmic is very difficult to shoot because of the low light levels. Trying to shoot the water screens is very difficult because the images are a little blurry to start with due to the nature of a water screen. Shooting any of the live action is also tricky because the light levels are low and the figures are almost always in motion. You might be able to do a decent job with an SLR that can shoot ISO1600 and one of Canon's 70-200mm f2.8 with an image stabilizer and shooting wide open with a shutter speed of 1/90 or 1/120. But it sounds like you'll never get one of those lens into the park now. On the otherhand, you can probably do a decent job of video taping with a moderate priced video camera.
I'd rather take the Canon 5D mark II and shoot some hi-def video, or bump the ISO up to 3200 or even 6400. The shots are decent at 3200, okay at 6400. You could do 128000, but I wouldn't use them for anything but novelty.

If you still want zoom and can't bring in that long lens, get this:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0401/04012 ... 0300do.asp

"People can drink coke and pepsi, but they can't pee in the street."

EpcotFan
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by EpcotFan » Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:35 pm

ktulu wrote:I'm not sure what the cut off is for the lens length, I'm sure Board X will have that data. Really long lenses do not necessarily let in more light, in fact unless you drop a good amount of coin on one, it will let in less at full zoom. I think the biggest problem is people don't RTFM and therefore they have no idea how to turn off the flash.
I was thinking that some of the really long pro lens go down to f2.8 while the consumer zoom lens (much shorter) are more typically f4.5 to f5.6. So while you might need a flash to get a shot with the consumer lens in a given situation, the really long lens could get the shot with available light. Besides anyone spending that kind of money for a long lens will know how to turn off the flash on their camera. :D:
ktulu wrote: I'd rather take the Canon 5D mark II and shoot some hi-def video, or bump the ISO up to 3200 or even 6400. The shots are decent at 3200, okay at 6400. You could do 128000, but I wouldn't use them for anything but novelty.
Nice camera. I'm still using a Digital Rebel (the original one) but I do a lot of existing light photography at 1600. I'm thinking about moving up to a 50D this year.
ktulu wrote: If you still want zoom and can't bring in that long lens, get this:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0401/04012 ... 0300do.asp
I'm actually using the predecessor of this lens--the 75-300 IS. It's slightly longer which makes me a little concerned about what Disney considers a long lens. One of these days I hope to be able to afford ome of those L series lenses. :rolleyes:

ktulu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: ktululand
Department: Custodial
Position: Janitor

Post by ktulu » Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:49 pm

EpcotFan wrote: Nice camera. I'm still using a Digital Rebel (the original one) but I do a lot of existing light photography at 1600. I'm thinking about moving up to a 50D this year.
Yeah, I just have the XTi right now. I drool on the 5D Mark II until the sales guys catch me and kick me out :D:

If I hit the lotto...
I'm actually using the predecessor of this lens--the 75-300 IS. It's slightly longer which makes me a little concerned about what Disney considers a long lens. One of these days I hope to be able to afford ome of those L series lenses. :rolleyes:
I wish I had IS on my 75-300, I got it before I knew better, plus it was cheap to buy when I first got my camera. Now I know why...

I should have went with Nikon. A good friend of mine started a photography business and is using all Nikon, well he also got a hasselblad, but he's not dragging that out to a wedding, unless they want a billboard :D: I really need some L glass. Yes, I need it. My wife thinks it is just a want though...

"People can drink coke and pepsi, but they can't pee in the street."

Mayonnaise
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by Mayonnaise » Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:18 pm

My Cannon Elph PowerShot SD1100 actually managed to take some fairly great video of Fantasmic, even the waterscreens. I mean, my hand shakes here and there, and I was clumsy while zooming, which leads to some grainy spots where I overshot the optical zoom and went into digital zoom (never use digital zoom with video, ewe). On the other hand, it was pretty crap for stills.... not because of light levels but because of the other shutterspeed issue, blur. I had the same trouble with the parades and stage shows... everything comes out with motion blur. I've got a great still of Mickey with the sword tho.

8^P

Syndrome
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by Syndrome » Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:40 pm

OMG, Patti is da bomb!!! Love it love it love it! Best SG (STG?) call-out ever.

I have little tolerance for the flashers. After asking nicely once and getting the no speak English routine, followed by another flash, I once informed the jackass next to be on Soarin' that the next time his camera was going to be 30 feet down in the pit. Hmmmm, amazing how he understand THAT and put the damn thing away.

"If you are a dee, please don't marry a dee, 'cause then your kids will be dee dee dee." ....Carlos Mencia

"It's the difference between champagne and carbonated pee!" ....Homer Simpson

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Nice work, pal

Rob562
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by Rob562 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:52 pm

As a theater tech, I can see both sides of Patti stopping the show. On the one hand, it's kind of unprofessional to stop a show like that, you should trust the house staff to do their job in stopping the photographers (though if it were in a part where she could have done it in-character as Mama Rose, I guess that could be OK, but I don't really know Gypsy that well).

But on the other hand, you have to applaud her for deciding that enough was enough, you have to draw the line somewhere. Always continuing like everything was OK just enables people to do it more and more.

There was also an incident a few years back where Kelsey Grammer (I think) stopped the Shakespeare play he was in and berated an audience member whose phone had gone off during the show.

Years ago, I saw Phantom of the Opera on tour here in Boston. There was one point where Carlotta was just about to start a song (if you know the show, I think it was during the opera-within-the-opera near the end of Act 1), and a cell phone went off in the audience. A VERY LOUD cell phone, way up at the back of the balcony. It took the owner about three rings to turn it off (and I've always wondered whether they turned it off or actually answered it...). Knowing the show, I could tell that Carlotta paused on-stage until the phone stopped ringing before she started singing. (The orchestra takes its cue from her to start playing again at that particular point)

-Rob