Incident at Aulani

All other Disney Cast Members post your stupid guest tricks here. This forum is not for general Disney discussion. Please use the Break Room, for non stupid guest trick topics.
Whazzup
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Incident at Aulani

Post by Whazzup » Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:54 pm

There's a post on TripAdvisor from someone who states their daughter, husband and young son were lounging around the pool at Aulani recently and they were attacked by a group of locals. The husband was supposedly beaten unconscious and the daughter suffered lacerations, bruises, chipped teeth. Her review said Aulani was a dangerous resort. I'm a little dubious about the whole incident, but I do know something like that could happen at one of the local beaches where there aren't a lot of tourists. Does anyone have any more information on what happened? Hobie, was there anything in the local news about it?

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR
Department: Fruity Drink Land
Position: Mai Tai Face Plant

Re: Incident at Aulani

Post by hobie16 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:33 am

I saw no news reports about it but that doesn't mean it didn't happen. But let's consider this "story" from all angles.

If something like this did happen the story usually gets buried or disappeared by the local press. Otherwise, it turns into a PR nightmare for the tourist industry and with lower revenues/taxes, the state.

Could it happen? Yes. The resort areas are an attraction for locals. Many want to hang but some come looking for trouble. A few years ago a few of our local high school's football players got drunked up at a pre graduation party and decided to go to the Kaanapali resort area to "whack some haoles". They attacked a few people on the ocean front walkway before being arrested. This event made the front page of the island newspaper.

Notice I said ocean front walkway. All of the hotels in the resort area have roving patrols that head off problems before they occur on their property. I've seen security descend on locals if there's even a hint of a developing problem. Interestingly, my daughter and her haole friends go pool hopping all the time. They've never been stopped except for the time my neighbor, who works part time at the Marriott, pulled her aside and told her, "I know who you are. Don't do anything that will make you known to the hotel."

So, if the attack did occur, it happened off of Disney property. I find it very hard to believe Disney security would let something like this start much less continue to the extent that the injuries reported happened.

JMHO

Don't be fooled by appearances. In Hawaii, some of the most powerful people look like bums and stuntmen.
--- Matt King

Stay low and run in a zigzag pattern.

WEDFan
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by WEDFan » Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:25 pm

I did some searching and the only thing I could find was on TripAdvisor or people talking about the TripAdvisor report. The report there said there were arrests, which would imply a public record. I know around here even traffic violations make it into the police blotter, let alone the serious ones. If there was a police report, it seems unlikely that local news outlets wouldn't have jumped on it. Anything with problems at Disney usually gets immediate attention.

Can't say for sure, but it just seems unlikely that there would be no media mention.

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by hobie16 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:21 pm

WEDFan wrote:Anything with problems at Disney usually gets immediate attention.
If it did happen then Disney security might use the local rules for dealing with trouble makers. Load 'em in a outrigger canoe, paddle out a mile or so, and let 'em swim back. :sharkbait

Don't be fooled by appearances. In Hawaii, some of the most powerful people look like bums and stuntmen.
--- Matt King

Whazzup
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by Whazzup » Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:30 pm

I agree with WEDFan and Hobie's assessments. Perhaps it was one of those vicious rumors started by the competition, or just someone desiring attention an making up a story. Or a case of miscommunication, meaning that the victims might have been down by one of the lagoons rather than sitting around the pool on Aulani property. Who knows.

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by hobie16 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:43 am

Just an update. I did another search and still came up with nothing. I also took a look at Tripadvisor. Two things popped out.

One reviewer complained about getting hassled at the pool because they didn't have their wristbands on. Many resorts give wristbands to guests so they know who is a paid guest and who is someone who snuck in from the beach to get a little free pool time. That indicates Disney has active security in and around the pool area where the assault was suppose to have occurred.

There are no reviews posted for December 24 on Tripadvisor, the day of the alleged incident. So, it was either a rumor, Tripadvisor took it down, or Disney legal lightning struck Tripadvisor.

--- Matt King