Rain Panic

All other Disney Cast Members post your stupid guest tricks here. This forum is not for general Disney discussion. Please use the Break Room, for non stupid guest trick topics.
Zazu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: WDW
Position: retired

Rain Panic

Post by Zazu » Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:19 pm

I've spent the week aboard the Disney Magic, along with a full load of SGs. Mostly it's the same stupid stuff they do on land, but tonight just busted me up.

It's the evening of the "Pirates IN the Caribbean" party, a big deck party with fireworks. Yeah, and guess what? It's November, so it didn't surprise *me* when it started to rain.

Now here's where I get confused about who the stupids are:

* Part of the crowd realized they were going to melt in the rain, and rushed the doors to go inside. They couldn't get in because...
* Part of the crowd just *knew* the rain would stop in time for the fireworks, and wanted to be the first to go back outside, and were blocking the doors five deep.
* Part of the crowd continued to dance in the downpour--it really was a frog-floater at times--despite their increased tendency to fall down.
* The crew members who would ordinarily have been up on the outdoor stage, dancing their butts off, were .... wait for it .... up on the outdoor stage, dancing their butts off, while carrying live mics!

Now I'm pretty sure *some* of these folks were stupid, but I just can't figure out who to give the sign to! :rolleyes:

Zazu

Shorty82
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Re: Rain Panic

Post by Shorty82 » Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:36 pm

All of them need a sign! Every single person on that deck, except you.

What did you do during the rain?

Around here, however, we don’t look backwards for very long.

We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things, because we're curious…
and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths.

-Walt Disney
:wwwd:
Keep moving forward

Randy B
In our Memory
In our Memory

Post by Randy B » Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:53 pm

Zazu wrote:I've spent the week aboard the Disney Magic, along with a full load of SGs. Mostly it's the same stupid stuff they do on land, but tonight just busted me up.

It's the evening of the "Pirates IN the Caribbean" party, a big deck party with fireworks. Yeah, and guess what? It's November, so it didn't surprise *me* when it started to rain.

Now here's where I get confused about who the stupids are:

* Part of the crowd realized they were going to melt in the rain, and rushed the doors to go inside. They couldn't get in because...
* Part of the crowd just *knew* the rain would stop in time for the fireworks, and wanted to be the first to go back outside, and were blocking the doors five deep.
* Part of the crowd continued to dance in the downpour--it really was a frog-floater at times--despite their increased tendency to fall down.
* The crew members who would ordinarily have been up on the outdoor stage, dancing their butts off, were .... wait for it .... up on the outdoor stage, dancing their butts off, while carrying live mics!

Now I'm pretty sure *some* of these folks were stupid, but I just can't figure out who to give the sign to! :rolleyes:

Lets see. For those rushing to avoid rain, their mothers always said they were sweet and sugar melts in rain so logically....

For those blocking the way inside, they know they are sweet and thus must be protected but they are the only ones in the entire world and so they are the most important ones to protect and thus they deserve to remain nearest the doors so they can watch everyone else get drenched. That doorway is their own personal private retreat and any late comers must find somewhere else to go.

The third group were either partying so hard that they hadn't noticed the rain, or were so involved in their fun that little things like rain and falling down are just something to ignore in favor of getting their moneys worth out of the evening. Along the lines of "we payed X dollars for this and we are going to enjoy it no matter what". This is similar to the parent smacking a crying child and saying "We payed big bucks for this and you WILL start having fun RIGHT NOW, or ELSE".

And as to the performers with electrical equipment in the rain, they have always been told that the show MUST go on and so as long as no lightning is currently striking the stage, it goes on. Also many stage performers tend to be a bit masochistic (in my experiences as a stage hand) and so if they are slowly being electrocuted by their equipment, it is only proper that they "suffer for their art". The person who you didn't see who was tearing their hair out was the poor sound engineer who will have to rebuild a useable system from all the soaked electronics that was turning into melted junk from internal short circuits. Of course it is possible that this kind of thing has happened before and they may have purchased "weather proof" systems which would keep the damage to a minimum as long as the performer doesn't jump overboard with it. The problem I personally would have been more worried about is the lighting. A jolt from a shorting mic probably won't do much damage, but a wet stage and a short from theatrical lighting could turn the entire stage into a crematorium.

So, IMHO, the first group are just believing their mothers (maybe a little too much). The second group are just believing their own self importance (a little too much). The third are making every penny count (a bit too much), and the last group are "just following orders" (maybe a bit too much).

I personally would award all four groups the sign (we have plenty to go around). Now the real question. Where were you watching all this from? Were you "not smart enough to come in out of the rain" or "prepaired for all contingencies" and thus watching from a place of protection (cover, rain poncho, umbrella, etc)? :D: If you were just standing there in the rain, getting soaked we may have to give you an honorable mention award. :D:

(Take it easy folks, its a j/k and Zazu will give me a smackdown at a later date. When I least expect it. :D :)

Randy

Cheshire Figment
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by Cheshire Figment » Fri Nov 09, 2007 7:12 am

But when you are onboard one of the Disney ships the stage is on Deck 9. It is directly in front of the Jumbotron and The Stack. There is about 40 or 50 feet of nice metal higher than the stage located only a few feet from the stage. If there was lightning in the area it would much more likely hit the stack area, which of course is metal and part of the ship and going to a much better ground. So, even if the storm was electrical and the performers were holding handhelds (unwired of course) the lightning would not affect them.

Big Wallaby
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by Big Wallaby » Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:42 am

And the way they build wireless microphones today, many of them are made to be able to work in the rain. Still, I've heard of the people walking through a parking lot full of cars in Chicago, lightning struck, and the one thing it hit was their pager.

Still, I'm surprised the area where the performers are isn't under at least some cover...

My opinions are mine and mine only. If my opinions are the opinion of others who happen to share whatever my crazy views may be, then fine, but it's not because I represent them in having my opinions. Got it?

BRWombat
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Department: Offsite Harmony
Position: Back Row Baritone

Post by BRWombat » Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:43 pm

Big Wallaby wrote:Still, I'm surprised the area where the performers are isn't under at least some cover...
This is just for the deck parties, which of course are held on deck. There are several entertainment venues below decks and unaffected by rain. :)

"This would be a great place if we could only get rid of all these people." - Walt Disney

Image Image
VocalMajority
Twitter

Zazu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: WDW
Position: retired

Post by Zazu » Fri Nov 09, 2007 1:24 pm

Shorty82 wrote:What did you do during the rain?
I was just trying to get to the free drink dispenser on deck 9 so SWMBO could have her evening diet soda.

And trolling for better stories for this thread.

Zazu

vixen101485
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by vixen101485 » Fri Nov 09, 2007 1:39 pm

rain rain go away, come again another day....little zazu wants to play

I coulda did It's raining its pouring the old man zazu is snoring....LOL

BRWombat
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Department: Offsite Harmony
Position: Back Row Baritone

Post by BRWombat » Fri Nov 09, 2007 3:48 pm

Zazu wrote:And trolling for better stories for this thread.
I really appreciate your using your vacation time for us!!!

Seriously, though, it's nice to think how this site helps our enjoyment of Disney... if we don't encounter any SG's, great, but if we do, instead of getting irate, we just take notes and come back with a good story to tell here!!

"This would be a great place if we could only get rid of all these people." - Walt Disney

Image Image
VocalMajority
Twitter

drcorey
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by drcorey » Fri Nov 09, 2007 4:09 pm

Randy B wrote:Lets see. For those rushing to avoid rain, their mothers always said they were sweet and sugar melts in rain so logically....

For those blocking the way inside, they know they are sweet and thus must be protected but they are the only ones in the entire world and so they are the most important ones to protect and thus they deserve to remain nearest the doors so they can watch everyone else get drenched. That doorway is their own personal private retreat and any late comers must find somewhere else to go.

The third group were either partying so hard that they hadn't noticed the rain, or were so involved in their fun that little things like rain and falling down are just something to ignore in favor of getting their moneys worth out of the evening. Along the lines of "we payed X dollars for this and we are going to enjoy it no matter what". This is similar to the parent smacking a crying child and saying "We payed big bucks for this and you WILL start having fun RIGHT NOW, or ELSE".

And as to the performers with electrical equipment in the rain, they have always been told that the show MUST go on and so as long as no lightning is currently striking the stage, it goes on. Also many stage performers tend to be a bit masochistic (in my experiences as a stage hand) and so if they are slowly being electrocuted by their equipment, it is only proper that they "suffer for their art". The person who you didn't see who was tearing their hair out was the poor sound engineer who will have to rebuild a useable system from all the soaked electronics that was turning into melted junk from internal short circuits. Of course it is possible that this kind of thing has happened before and they may have purchased "weather proof" systems which would keep the damage to a minimum as long as the performer doesn't jump overboard with it. The problem I personally would have been more worried about is the lighting. A jolt from a shorting mic probably won't do much damage, but a wet stage and a short from theatrical lighting could turn the entire stage into a crematorium.

So, IMHO, the first group are just believing their mothers (maybe a little too much). The second group are just believing their own self importance (a little too much). The third are making every penny count (a bit too much), and the last group are "just following orders" (maybe a bit too much).

I personally would award all four groups the sign (we have plenty to go around). Now the real question. Where were you watching all this from? Were you "not smart enough to come in out of the rain" or "prepaired for all contingencies" and thus watching from a place of protection (cover, rain poncho, umbrella, etc)? :D: If you were just standing there in the rain, getting soaked we may have to give you an honorable mention award. :D:

(Take it easy folks, its a j/k and Zazu will give me a smackdown at a later date. When I least expect it. :D :)

Randy
sort of reminds me of the movie King Ralph, and how he got to be the king of england, the whole royal family was posing for photos outside untill it started raining, and ZZAAPP!!
and then, all hail King Ralph!