Showing Appreciation to CMs

Walt Disney World Resort Cast Members post your stupid guest tricks here. This forum is not for general Walt Disney World discussion. Please use the Break Room, for non stupid guest trick topics.
jodylync
Wide-eyed Newcomer
Wide-eyed Newcomer

Showing Appreciation to CMs

Post by jodylync » Sun Jun 12, 2016 11:57 am

We will be taking our twin daughters to WDW for the first time in 9 years next Summer. They will be 14. They have heard about how some CMs are mistreated by guests and want to go out of their way to show CMs that we appreciate their hard work. We understand that in many cases tips are not accepted so we want to come up with a little thank you to show our appreciation to CMs we encounter.

My DDs have talked about making buttons or business size cards for CMs saying "I am awesome" or "I am truly magical." What else do you suggest? How can we make a CMs day?

Thank you,
Jody

SirWillow
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Re: Showing Appreciation to CMs

Post by SirWillow » Mon Jun 13, 2016 8:10 pm

Those are great ideas. When I worked there, I loved the hand made notes, cards, and things like that from the guests. I still have some of them put away that I've kept almost 5 years later. I was also given an expensive chocolate bar one time, painted pebbles that said, "you rock" and other items. Things like that will absolutely make a CM's day.

I'd encourage you as well to make a note of names of outstanding CM's, then write in letters to the park afterwards telling them who they are, where and when they were working, and what they did. They will get a nice acknowledgment from the park as well for a job well done.

I did, with just a few guests when they asked, also take my picture with them and give them my email address, and they later sent me a copy of the photo along with a nice note. I actually ended up friending one of those families on Facebook and we still write today. But that is one to be careful and selective with, and isn't for everyone.

(And in general you are correct on the cash tips. They are instructed to say "no" three times, then accept them so they don't offend, but are supposed to turn them in to their management later. Accepting cash and not turning it in can get them in trouble or even fired if they are caught.)

SirWillow
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by SirWillow » Mon Jun 13, 2016 8:26 pm

this thread is a rather old one, but it's got some good discussion and ideas of things to give cast members and what it means to them if you'd like:
http://stupidguesttricks.com/viewtopic. ... 897#p35897

JugglingFreak
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by JugglingFreak » Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:48 am

SirWillow wrote: I'd encourage you as well to make a note of names of outstanding CM's, then write in letters to the park afterwards telling them who they are, where and when they were working, and what they did. They will get a nice acknowledgment from the park as well for a job well done.
I've done the notes and cards thing. Most seemed to really like it, I had one or two that were kind of confused by it. However, I always try to do the above. That's one of the things I know about Customer service. They almost never get acknowledged for doing something right. People usually only write to complain. I keep notes of anyone who did their job well, (name, what attraction, restaurant, etc) and then send a letter to guest services (I think it's more effective than e-mail. It shows I though enough about it to write it down, put it in an envelope, pay for a stamp and mail it as opposed to just firing of an e-mail).

I have gotten notes back from them thanking us. Back when my Daughter was about 6 or 7 (she's 20 now), she drew a picture of herself at Coronado Springs swimming pool to include. The Coronado folks sent us a letter of thanks back and included and autographed pic of Donald, Jose Carioca, and Panchito in front of the Pyramid in the Mexico Pavilion.

It's little things like that that keep me coming back (Going in Dec. Haven't been in a few years.. Hit some bad times, but things are going a lot better now..)

SirWillow
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by SirWillow » Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:20 pm

not trying to self promote (I've another thread for that), but I'm working on a video on my channel where I'll be showing a few of the notes and cards that I received while working. They really do mean a lot, and I've got them from WDW and SDC. It should be up sometime next week.

SirWillow
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by SirWillow » Thu Jun 23, 2016 2:48 pm

Just got the video uploaded where I talk about some of the things that people did for me to say thanks. I know others can give more ideas as well beyond what's in this.